Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't really look like an upgrade for anyone who already has a Nexus 7. :(
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    If it has the 1080p screen that has been mooted then am in!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google have announced an event for next Wed 24th where it's highly probable they'll officially announce Android 4.3 and Nexus 7 2. I think the new Nexus 7 might even be for sale at the end of next week things look that promising.

The pricing details have also leaked:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/pricing-details-of-second-generation-nexus-7-leaked/

16GB for $229 (£150) and 32GB for $269 (£176).

When this comes out i'll definetely be buying one.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like if apple wants to competive at the 7 inch tablet level they need to give the iPad 2 mini a solid processor and the retina display. These seven inch tablets are proving to be very popular. While I expect they will never replace laptops they serve a purpose.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Google have announced an event for next Wed 24th where it's highly probable they'll officially announce Android 4.3 and Nexus 7 2. I think the new Nexus 7 might even be for sale at the end of next week things look that promising.

As always, don't forget to add 20% for VAT...

So should be around £180 & 210 for a straight conversion +VAT, or more likely (purely a guess on my part) £189 & £229...
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

To be fair there is not a lot they could do that would make it an upgrade prospect for people with a nexus 7.

i guess i'll buy the next one in summer 2014.
    Forum Member
    flynn wrote: »
    As always, don't forget to add 20% for VAT...

So should be around £180 & 210 for a straight conversion +VAT, or more likely (purely a guess on my part) £189 & £229...

i have a hard time believing it's going to cost more than the current model.

to be honest i was expecting it to be cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Count me in . Here is my card number :D
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    front facing camera as well. rumoured 4 GB RAM. I won't be letting go of my N7 version 1 though.

Still reckon its the best mid-sized tablet out there :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i have a hard time believing it's going to cost more than the current model.

to be honest i was expecting it to be cheaper.

when the n7 v1 was released it was one of the lowest priced tablets commercially available. Now cheaper exports are hitting sub £100 prices (and available in trusted high-street retailers) and Google doesn't want to be seen in that category.

e.g. a month ago, The Motley Fool posted saying
    That modest price increase would distance the device from entry-level models and put it more in the mid-range ($199 to $249), while Apple sits at the high end with $329.

The low-end tablet market continues to head lower, after Amazon reduced the price of its first-generation Kindle Fire to just $159 and Hewlett-Packard now sells its Slate 7 for $170. ASUS also targets the sub-$159 market with its own branded tablets, along with other OEMs like Acer.

Pricing slightly higher would help ASUS preserve margins, while Amazon will assuredly maintain its characteristic loss-leader strategy.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/13/googles-moving-on-up-with-the-next-nexus.aspx
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    when the n7 v1 was released it was one of the lowest priced tablets commercially available. Now cheaper exports are hitting sub £100 prices (and available in trusted high-street retailers) and Google doesn't want to be seen in that category.

e.g. a month ago, The Motley Fool posted saying

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/13/googles-moving-on-up-with-the-next-nexus.aspx

That is just conjecture though.

i could make a reasonable case for why it should be cheaper than the current model.

as in google's costs are no higher in supplying them, possibly lower because of the size of the production run. googe can still sell them at a substantial premium to the generic chinese models. and getting google play certified devices in to people's hands opens up other sources of revenue to google.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure about that? :confused:

It'll have at least 2 Gb (maybe 4) of RAM compared to the 1 Gb of the Gen 1. The RAM is the one of the limiting factors with the Gen 1.

It's going to have a Snapdragon Quad core processor of some description - miles quicker than the Tegra 3.

It's actually going to have a rear facing camera, although not that important, it's handy to have.

At least a 1080 display, but maybe even a 1920x1200 display. This will make it super sharp.

Hopefully the build quality will be better too.

Those things right there mean that I'll definitely be upgrading.

I have both a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and while I love them both, it's clear that the better specs of the Nexus 4 mean that as a device it is WAY faster and more responsive than the '7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    That is just conjecture though.

true but I've seen a lot more conjecture about the price going up than going down...
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

I have had the Nexus 7 just under a year now and the Nexus 4 almost 2 weeks. Will they get an update to the new Android 4.3 in time.

Darren
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is not the emphasis to be on the new US built phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure about that? :confused:.

Not sure what you use your Nexus 7 for, but I only really watch videos and surf the net, so none of the improvements really make the extra cost worthwhile.
    Forum Member
    Are you sure about that? :confused:

It'll have at least 2 Gb (maybe 4) of RAM compared to the 1 Gb of the Gen 1. The RAM is the one of the limiting factors with the Gen 1.

It's going to have a Snapdragon Quad core processor of some description - miles quicker than the Tegra 3.

It's actually going to have a rear facing camera, although not that important, it's handy to have.

At least a 1080 display, but maybe even a 1920x1200 display. This will make it super sharp.

Hopefully the build quality will be better too.

Those things right there mean that I'll definitely be upgrading.

I have both a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and while I love them both, it's clear that the better specs of the Nexus 4 mean that as a device it is WAY faster and more responsive than the '7.
    All good stuff. But incremental changes. Would not affect the way I use the device.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Looks like if apple wants to competive at the 7 inch tablet level they need to give the iPad 2 mini a solid processor and the retina display. These seven inch tablets are proving to be very popular. While I expect they will never replace laptops they serve a purpose.

This seems like the evident upgrade to me.

I prefer the iPad Mini to the Nexus 7 so I'm going to wait and see what Apple do before getting my next tablet.

I would like a slimmer and lighter full size iPad (under 600g) but I'm not sure that will happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Is not the emphasis to be on the new US built phone?

no-one outside of google knows. Most likely Android 4.3 and at least one of Nexus 7 v2 and Moto X. Maybe both!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I prefer the iPad Mini to the Nexus 7 so I'm going to wait and see what Apple do before getting my next tablet.

I would like a slimmer and lighter full size iPad (under 600g) but I'm not sure that will happen.

LG Shipments Indicate Retina iPad Mini Could Arrive As Early As October

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1611715
    Apple's next generation iPad mini is expected to feature an "almost bezel-free" design, along with processor upgrades and a lighter, thinner design.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm looks like there is going to be quite a price increase

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/07/new-nexus-7-leak-spills-almost-all-the-details/

Reporting £240 now for the 32GB version.
    Forum Member
    Hmm looks like there is going to be quite a price increase

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/07/new-nexus-7-leak-spills-almost-all-the-details/

Reporting £240 now for the 32GB version.

They've taken that story from engadget, and cited them, but it doesn't say where they got the price from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Slim Port sounds interesting. Does the device have to be Slim Port compatible or can it be used with the existing Nexus 7's usb port?
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least the specs have been outed:

Android 4.3 JellyBean
    1.5 GHz quad-core processor
    7-inch screen
    FullHD (1920x1080 pixels) display
    5MP rear camera
    1.2MP front-facing camera.

For anyone who doesn't already own a Nexus 7 those are pretty good specs i reckon. I could wait for the iPad Mini 2 but October is too far away.

I don't own a tablet but when this becomes available for sale i'll be snapping one up asap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    no-one outside of google knows. Most likely Android 4.3 and at least one of Nexus 7 v2 and Moto X. Maybe both!

Moto X invites sent out for event on 1 Aug. This is all about Nexus 7. Probably.