hotspoting my 3 network internet from my iphone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
hi everyone

first post - i was just wondering im not on the one plan but it lets me hotspot my connection to my laptop is this tethering if so why does it let me do this?
im not complaining lol.

Comments

• lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's tethering. I used to be able to tether on PAYG with no problems (I'm now on The One Plan) but I didn't know tethering wasn't permitted on PAYG.
    I never got blocked, though, even if I did it for almost 2 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    thanks tethering is not permitted on my rolling deal all in one fifteen add on but it still lets me do it what happens if they somehow find out?
    not that they will i dont do it often lol.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sevenman wrote: »
    thanks tethering is not permitted on my rolling deal all in one fifteen add on but it still lets me do it what happens if they somehow find out?
    not that they will i dont do it often lol.
    Reading the link above it mentions they will send you a warning about tethering but I notice it doesn't say exactly what, if anything, they will do about it.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit weird, they seem to do checks on the internet traffic. Before I switched to the one plan, I could use a nexus 7 via the personal hotspot but not an ipad. With the ipad I kept getting pages from three telling me I couldn't use this feature, I guess their software couldn't tell an android tab from an android phone.

I think is more complex than just the user agent too.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    They wont ever charge you. They'll just block you.

If you're getting away with it then hey, you're getting away with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sevenman wrote: »
    hi everyone

first post - i was just wondering im not on the one plan but it lets me hotspot my connection to my laptop is this tethering if so why does it let me do this?
    im not complaining lol.

The one plan with tethering is only £15 a month :confused:
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have tethering on mine, i just have the £3 all you can eat data add on. I the there'd no problem for about 24 hours then I got a block message.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    I have no problems when I tether my phone to the computer via bluetooth. It's a bit slow but useful if the wired internet's gone down. I'm on a sim plan with no tethering and they've not detected anything.

Perhaps it's because I use it occasionally? The only way to see if it works is suck it and see. If it works, then happy days, it's a bonus. :)