Why do the Judges keep praising bad performances?

TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This week for example both Jahmene and Ella were pretty bad, pitchy etc and yet the judges say they were amazing!?! Can't they hear what we are hearing? As much as Simon Cowell annoys me it does make me miss his good old fashioned honest critique and not the ridiculous undeserved hyperbole they dish out each week....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    They are trying to convince viewers that the show is worth watching. It probably has the opposite effect!
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't do the acts any favours either, to hear they are world class when they are nothing of the sort. It's cruel to convince them they are destined for international stardom when we all know exactly where they are destined for - back to anonymity and wondering where it all went wrong!
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were pretty fair to Ella, she had positive + actual critique.

Jahmene on the other hand was like a circle jerk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    Doesn't do the acts any favours either, to hear they are world class when they are nothing of the sort. It's cruel to convince them they are destined for international stardom when we all know exactly where they are destined for - back to anonymity and wondering where it all went wrong!

Definitely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they honestly believe what they are saying sometimes.
  • plankenheimerplankenheimer Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    TomStar wrote: »
    This week for example both Jahmene and Ella were pretty bad, pitchy etc and yet the judges say they were amazing!?! Can't they hear what we are hearing? As much as Simon Cowell annoys me it does make me miss his good old fashioned honest critique and not the ridiculous undeserved hyperbole they dish out each week....

Maybe you should be a judge , you obviously know more :rolleyes:
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    achro wrote: »

Oh that's a horrible image but you're spot on unfortunately. He seemed to be singing an entirely different song from the backing track and it was like the judges had gone all Emperor's New Clothes trying to convince us he's brilliant.
  • BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have to work with what they have.

It's a motley bunch of finalists and everything they have done has backfired and made the show worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Jahmene was pure crap this week and they were acting like he was as good as Leona or Alexandra
  • TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »

Exactly, I was wincing at some of Jamene's notes and then to hear them say world class I was simply :confused:
  • MysteryxxxxxMysteryxxxxx Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    They've always done it. Simon was the worst, he'd give standing ovations to utter crap sometimes.
  • TreewatcherTreewatcher Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You try singing that song anywhere near as well as Jahmene. That's one of the most complicated songs to sing and I think he was fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Because they cray
  • scootzerscootzer Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Cos they are paid to... simple... as... that
  • Digital PieDigital Pie Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    If I hear "you are an international recording artist"

so is susan boyle and daniel o' donnel you morons
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Actually Listen is quite simple. You just need the right tone, emotion, vocal control and power. Look at Beyonce or Alex. Most people severely lack the power and mastery of their voice. It's not as hard as Emotions or I Will Always Love You or Lately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    achro wrote: »

LOL...outrageous! ;)

But, pretty much bang on..

Actually, I thought Ella did very well, Jahmene, less so, but they're still ahead of the pack, even with dodgier performances than the others.

If you really want to hear judges making sickeningly positive comments about dreadful performances, tune into the next series of "The Voice," ..........if there is one!

And that was from people I would've expected more from.

This mob, Gary Barlow, excepted, I'm not expecting too much in the way of decent critique, either positive or negative..Louis Walsh's "analysis," amounts to a never ending tape-loop of predictable cliches.

Rich.
    x
  • Skip65Skip65 Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's worse is the hypocrisy. They tell people who did not have a good night that they sang brilliant . And then those that sang note perfect they criticise . They don't view it as a singing competition , they view it as a popularity contest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that's a horrible image

It is, indeed, particularly when you consider the only two people on the panel actually capable of it?

;)

As for the "pure crap," delivered by Jahmene, I'm sure there are a number of people out there who wish they could sing as "crap," as that..it certainly wasn't without issues, in a number of places, but technically, it wasn't "crap."...

Rich.
    x
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Chi wrote: »
    They are trying to convince viewers that the show is worth watching. It probably has the opposite effect!

This tbh. It isn't working as we all see through it and have EARS.
  • MysteryxxxxxMysteryxxxxx Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I thought Jahmene musta been doing his over the top vocals reading here. When i got round to watching it he was actually pretty damn good without going over the top.
  • callym1980callym1980 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 words. A-gen-da.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Jahmene musta been doing his over the top vocals reading here. When i got round to watching it he was actually pretty damn good without going over the top.

Well, said, I'd say he had a couple of his OTT moments, but they're certainly nowhere in the same league as what he did to "Imagine." for which he received unbridled and IMO, unworthy praise..

Yeah, but Yoko liked it! ;)

Rich
    x
  • aljolsonaljolson Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    i just had to reply to this, are there people on this thread who are a bit tone deaf?
    unfortunatley for me i can detect whether someone is slightly flat or sharp. my ear for music is too good and it does spoil me from enjoying music.
    ella every time she sang the main repeated bit her third or fourth note was way out.
    Jahmene was so out of tune especially with his yodelling it was embarrassing for me. maybe it is a case of the emprerors clothes and the judges want to go to the next samuel l jackson shindig.
    if you are ever so slightly tone deaf , even only a smidgeon i suppose he would have sounded ok.

xfactor is all about judging the acts we see and so maybe we are all being hyper critical.
    lets face it virtually non of us could do anywhere as good. but thats not the point.
    he was poor and to say he wasnt is a bit daft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You try singing that song anywhere near as well as Jahmene. That's one of the most complicated songs to sing and I think he was fantastic.

Well said!