Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS update - UK

red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone had the ICS update through in the UK?

Samsung announced it would be released in the UK from the 19th,

I am using a SGS2 from Carphone Warehouse; CSC is set to CPW.

No update for me yet.

Comments

• late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    The update will is for standard unbranded phones. The S2 from Carphone Warehouse has a CSC saying "CPW"

So you wont get the update until this version comes out.

Its best to wait for the official UK CSC to become available to download and flash yourself.

There has also been a lot of bugs and problems with this ICS. So if you have a stable Gingerbread I would think twice. You will also notice very little difference.
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is CPW don't manage the firmware though, it is done by Samsung, as CPW are not a Service Provider.
  • falko89falko89 Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet they pull it, its to buggy
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    O2 have said it will be out by the end of the month for their phones. To keep up with the updates check here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    unbranded sgs2 here. Checked at 9am & 1pm for ics update via kies and guess what....nada!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    O2 have said it will be out by the end of the month for their phones. To keep up with the updates check here

Arghhhh I am with O2 and was hoping to get it today, hope they sort it quick!
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

I just found a neat little trick on the S2, which allows you to see if the phone is locked or not.

(1) go to Phone, Keypad

(2) Type *#7465625#

If all items are off then it means the phone is unlocked, surprisingly, I got my S2 from the Vodafone shop & even though it has Vodafone bits installed on the Android OS, the phone hasn't been locked to Vodafone. This might make a difference for installing another version of ICS, but I could be wrong.

Funnily enough the number 7465625, actually spells out "SIMLOCK". :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I have an unlocked S2 and I just phoned Samsung support. They are as much in the dark as we are. They have been told that it should launch today. There was an update to Kies last week and a minor one today. Todays just said it was to support a technical update and provide additional features. Samsung support, like me, think this is to prepare for ICS.
    I think its just a case of being patient and waiting.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WillowMan wrote: »
    I have an unlocked S2 and I just phoned Samsung support. They are as much in the dark as we are. They have been told that it should launch today. There was an update to Kies last week and a minor one today. Todays just said it was to support a technical update and provide additional features. Samsung support, like me, think this is to prepare for ICS.
    I think its just a case of being patient and waiting.

I'm not even sure Kies is necessary. My s2 running the latest unbranded firmware will happily update itself through the 'Software update' option in 'About Phone' within the Settings menu. However, at the moment, that option is currently reporting no update is available.

As for the phone being networked locked that shouldn't affect the upgrade to ICS. It all depends on the firmware the phone is running. Mine is still locked to T-Mobile but I debranded it myself to the standard unbranded Uk firmware and I know from past experience that it now keeps itself current with that as opposed to whatever changes T Mobile make to the software.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I just found a neat little trick on the S2, which allows you to see if the phone is locked or not.

(1) go to Phone, Keypad

(2) Type *#7465625#

If all items are off then it means the phone is unlocked, surprisingly, I got my S2 from the Vodafone shop & even though it has Vodafone bits installed on the Android OS, the phone hasn't been locked to Vodafone. This might make a difference for installing another version of ICS, but I could be wrong.

Cheers, looks like mine is locked to O2, that's the only bit that is set to 'on' :(
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

(1) go to Phone, Keypad

(2) Type *#7465625#

Unlocked is a bit misleading.....Mine is unlocked from the O2 network but still has some branding on the boot screen. Unless your phone has been de-branded it will have to wait until whichever network it was from updates, regardless of unlocked or not.;)
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Unlocked is a bit misleading.....Mine is unlocked from the O2 network but still has some branding on the boot screen. Unless your phone has been de-branded it will have to wait until whichever network it was from updates, regardless of unlocked or not.;)

Completely agree.
    Forum Member
    Hmm looks like its going to be late.

Wouldn't worry folks its not much of a update by the sound of things. + quite a few bugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry folks its not much of a update by the sound of things. + quite a few bugs.

Not much of an update??
    Android Gingerbread v2.3.x to Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3??
    That's a troll if I ever saw one :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zxon wrote: »
    Not much of an update??

Hardly, He means it looks the same and is full of bugs, numbers are irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    falko89 wrote: »
    Hardly, He means it looks the same and is full of bugs, numbers are irrelevant.
    If it's not much of an update, why is everyone going crazy about it then? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Not much of an update??

phhfft yeah right. What a troll for speaking the truth?

There's very little UI difference- in fact most of the ICS goodness has been replaced by Touch Wiz.
    Reports on Android and DXA forums are coming in of bugs and problems already so its not rock stable and battery drain issues have also surfaced.
    A full wipe is said to sort some minor bugs.

Some are getting way to exited over this update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's not much of an update, why is everyone going crazy about it then? :confused:

It was "supposed" to be a decent update is probably the best way of putting it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's very little UI difference- in fact most of the ICS goodness has been replaced by Touch Wiz.
    Reports on Android and DXA forums are coming in of bugs and problems already so its not rock stable and battery drain issues have also surfaced.

Yes exactly, I was excited to until I got it, then I couldn't wait to get back to GB
    Forum Member

I would agree regarding the UI differences, if TouchWiz couldn't be disabled. I, as well as many others, intend on disabling it so it'd be back to using the stock launcher. I'm also looking forward to the improved Task Manager, the additions to the Camera app, and also the ability to use the same account as I use on my Honeycomb tablet (which doesn't use a Gmail address).

There're plenty of good reasons for wanting the update (although I ain't touching Face Unlock - Don't want someone tricking it with a photo of me).
    Forum Member
    falko89 wrote: »
    It was "supposed" to be a decent update is probably the best way of putting it.
    Ahh, gotcha. It's not *quite* as good as people were expecting, I guess?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm looks like its going to be late.

"week beginning 19th". The only indication of it coming out ON the 19th was idle speculation.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

(1) go to Phone, Keypad

(2) Type *#7465625#

Mine is "off" in all 4 categories, but like yourself it has Vodafone crapware installed on it. Vodafone told me via Twitter [linked me to a page] that they are working on the update as we speak...
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    I'm not even sure Kies is necessary. My s2 running the latest unbranded firmware will happily update itself through the 'Software update' option in 'About Phone' within the Settings menu. However, at the moment, that option is currently reporting no update is available.

As for the phone being networked locked that shouldn't affect the upgrade to ICS. It all depends on the firmware the phone is running. Mine is still locked to T-Mobile but I debranded it myself to the standard unbranded Uk firmware and I know from past experience that it now keeps itself current with that as opposed to whatever changes T Mobile make to the software.

That's not right. Unlocked and unbranded Samsung Galaxys S2's are all on firmware 2.3.4. There has just been one update from 2.3.3. If you have been recieving updates from T-Mobile, then you will have to rely on T-Mobile sending out ICS, not Samsung.
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    "week beginning 19th". The only indication of it coming out ON the 19th was idle speculation.
    Checked the Samsunguk twitter account, and it is due week commencing 19th so probably on Sunday