Hack code for Sony DVD Player?

I am thinking of buying a Sony Dvd Player - Model No: DVPSR170B.CEK - but I need a code to make it region free.

Anyone help me out??

Cheers, KL xx

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    You can either buy a remote on eBay or if you have a One For All remote then you can assign buttons so it can do the same which works on most Sony players.
    Even though below it gives a One For All remote model number you should be able to use pretty much any one for all remote that has a 'magic' button.

Full procedure for the OneForAll URC-7950 remote is as follows:

1. Press DVD
    2. Hold the magic button until the Power key flashes twice.
    3. Press 0533

4. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
    5. Press 994
    6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    7. Press 00189
    8. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice, if not repeat steps 4 to 8 )

9. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
    10. Press 994
    11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    12. Press 00255
    13. Press 2 ( this sets it to key 2 - it flashes twice )

14. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
    15. Press 994
    16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    17. Press 00095
    18. Press 3 ( this sets it to key 3 - it flashes twice )

19. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
    20. Press 994
    21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    22. Press 00221
    23. Press 4 ( this sets it to key 4 - it flashes twice )

24. Hold the magic button until the red led flashes twice.
    25. Press 994
    26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    27. Press 00079
    28. Press 5 ( this sets it to key 5 - it flashes twice )

The remote is now programmed and ready to use, to make the BDP-S370 region free:

1. Use the remote that came with the player to bring the player out of standby, make sure there isn't a disc in it.
    2. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the OneForAll URC-7950 remote. The power light will start flashing. (blue middle light)
    3. Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote.
    4. Next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback.

Please use this guide at your own risk.

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You can either buy a remote on eBay or if you have a One For All remote then you can assign buttons so it can do the same which works on most Sony players.
    Even though below it gives a One For All remote model number you should be able to use pretty much any one for all remote that has a 'magic' button.

But if you haven't got a One For All remote and the one recommended is around £19 http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All-URC7950-Comfort/dp/B000TUUJW0
    you may as well get the multi-region version I linked to in post 2 - works out cheaper too
  • Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Other programmable remotes also work. I've used my Logitech Harmony One to multi-region the DVD playback on both Sony BDP-S370 and BDP-S380. There are instructions on how to programme the remote somewhere out there on the interweb. It was a couple of years ago so I can't quite remember where, unfortunately.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    But if you haven't got a One For All remote and the one recommended is around £19 http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All-URC7950-Comfort/dp/B000TUUJW0
    you may as well get the multi-region version I linked to in post 2 - works out cheaper too

That remote wasn't recommend, it was just the one used by that person who originally wrote it.
    As I did say, you should (and can) be able to use any One For All Remote as long as it has a 'magic' button which can be got for under £10 which is cheaper than the link in post 2.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002CHY56E/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1383432706&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richersounds do it multi region ready for a shade under 35 quid

http://www.richersounds.com/product/dvd-players/sony/dvpsr170-mr/sony-dvpsr170-mr

Saves a load of faffing about.
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you can get multi region Bluray too for about £150 from TPS who's players also allow you to skip warnings , notices etc
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    If the OP has the ability to build simple electronic circuits, and program PIC's, I can provide him with details to make a 'one button press' Sony multi-region box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies! :D

Cheers, KL! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    karlslover wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a Sony Dvd Player - Model No: DVPSR170B.CEK - but I need a code to make it region free.

Anyone help me out??

Cheers, KL xx

Try this,
    1) Plug the DVD Power Cord to the wall jack, but DO NOT Turn On the player;
    2) With the Remote Control, press: Display, Top Menu, Clear and Power;
    3) It will enter in the Service Mode;
    4) Choose option 2 and then 4;
    5) It will ask for an Input Code and Current Code (its 5 spaces), press 1245 and then Zero;
    6) Leave all Zero erasing 1245, and on the bottom field all Zero too, then press Enter;
    7) So the DVD Display will show a Zero (all Region-Free), then press Power to Turn Off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The above method does not work. The player turns on the minute you plug it in. Have tried powering down then trying, but no response until you hit the power button, then hust turns on as usual.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    John_Reid2 wrote: »
    The above method does not work. The player turns on the minute you plug it in. Have tried powering down then trying, but no response until you hit the power button, then hust turns on as usual.

I wouldn't expect it to have worked, as far as I know you can't do it with the original remote? - you need a suitable 'One For All', or build your own remote control programmed specifically for the purpose, as I did.