Have you ever met any of the cast?

YellowFishYellowFish Posts: 4,887
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you met any doctors? Companions? Villains? Or any writers? Anyone really!

Well I have! :-D

So I met DAVID TENNANT ^_^

https://twitter.com/will_i_am_65/status/391514317952405504

Saw him filming What We Did On our holidays, was in my hometown, there was about 10 off us there, no gates or anything which was awesome!

He was about to go in the car for lunch and he asked if he couldn't just see a few off us, security guard said no as they are behind schedule, he looked over and I was jumping waving my arms, he ran over to me and said "Would you like a picture bud?" I nodded my chess and got the picture, I said thank you so many times and he said "it's a pleasure bud he then ran off and went into the car

Saw more filming when he came back and later got autographs and he remembered me ^_^

Was June the 20th

So feel free to share stories and pictures ;-)

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    In order of Doctors, I met Jon Pertwee at a theatrical party in Newcastle shortly after he had given up the role, met Colin Baker at a small Dr Who event about 3 years ago, met Sylvester McCoy at another small event earlier this year, met David Tennant in a bar in Cardiff five years ago when I was there for my 50th birhday treat and earlier this year had the pleasure of meeting Leela herself, Louise Jameson at a small Dr Who event in Darlington. She signed a picture of me coming out of my Tardis. Lovely people, all of them.
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met David Tennant & Catherine Tate outside Wyndham Theatre in London. Then Mark Strickson (Turlough) at a signing and then I did some filming for Death Comes To Pemberley in July with Jenna Coleman. I'm off to a convention next week where I'll meet Colin Baker, Louise Jameson and Sophie Aldred
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met Tom Baker at a book signing and Michael Craze at an event in London.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    I've met Frazer Hines when he opened our local travel agentsand Ken Dodd both years ago and have also met Jon and Tom's stand in at Blackpool.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Jon Pertwee at Bramley bus depot (!) in about 1988 - he was there as Wurzel but had a good chat with me and my 2 fellow Who fans after he'd got out of costume. He was a bit intimidating!

Met Colin Baker after he'd been in the stage show at Leeds Grand in 1989. Nice fella, loads of time for everyone. Went there with my Dr Who group, which included Phil Collinson.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Met Karen Gillan at a Celtic game last year :)
  • John637John637 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Most of mine are kind of cheats owing to the fact I was at the 20th (wonderfully water-logged) Celebration at Longleat in 1983...Peter Davison, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Nicholas Briggs, Elizabeth Sladen, William Hartnell's widow Heather, Richard Franklin (who spent ages chatting to the autograph queue, bless him)...my other one is social, Mark Gatiss is an absolute sweetheart, his other half was in a pantomime with mine so had the pleasure of interval and after drinks, sadly, got no gossip on DW or Sherlock, despite my best efforts. :D
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writers...

Met RTD a couple of weeks ago. He is massive! I had my photo taken with his arm round me and my head is in his armpit. I'm 5ft 10 and I look like a flippin' Hobbit! (I'd love to post it but can't because it's got my 'company' logo on his visitors badge and they get proper touchy about in work photos.)
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met all the surviving Classic Doctors at Milton Keynes Collectormania. Wonderful chaps, all of them. Special mention goes to Paul for being so humble, Tom for being so eccentric and a joy to talk to, Peter for being a laugh, Colin for being so wonderfully nice, and Sylvester for being hilarious. XD (Oh that's all of them... :D )

I met Louise Jameson/Leela, who is also a delight to talk to. I praised her for Talons of Weng-Chieng. ^_^

I also met Neve Macintosh/Madame Vastra (well, technically my girlfriend did but it's the closest I'll ever be to her so it counts!)

And that's about it thus far... :)
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Tom when I was a kid after winning a radio comp. There were a few winners and he spoke to us all individually. When he spoke to me and asked for my name I was so starstruck that I just garbled a response. 'Matthew?' He said and I nodded wide eyed and in shock. I still have my signed 'To Matthew, from Tom Baker' photo. My name is Nigel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Does meeting Russell count? Poor Andrew was in the bed opposite me for a while, when I was having my brain tumour seen to, and Russell visited him twice a day.
    ...wonder how he's doing?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Baker / Peter Davison / Colin Baker / Paul McGann / Sylvester McCoy / Carole Ann Ford / Billie Piper / Jenna Coleman / Catherine Tate / David Bradley (Pre-Who) / Roberta Tovey (If she counts) / Katy Manning / Bonnie Langford / Bernard Cribbins / Jacqueline King / Warwick Davis (Pre-Who) / John Leeson / Anjil Mohindra (if she counts) / Neil McDermott

+ Rob Shearman & Nicholas Briggs

Tennant & Smith must one day make the list!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was walking down St Mary's Street in Cardiff one evening after a few post-work drinks and a chap got out of his rather posh car and approached me asking for directions to a nearby hotel. I directed him and he thanked me, then I paused and said "You're David Collings, aren't you?" He said "Yes" quite surprised, and I offered my hand, said "You're a very fine actor, sir.", we shook, and I walked off. Think he was a bit taken aback.

Yeah, look impressed. I gave Mawdryn directions. :p

Can vouch for Colin Baker's niceness, and also bumped into Deborah Watling when out with some fellow fans who knew her and she seemed lovely. She's very short and seemed quite eccentric....in a good way.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Baker at a book signing and Nick Courtney at an autograph session, they were both wonderful and friendly and in Tom's case, quite mad:)
  • Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,383
    Forum Member
    I've been to quite a few conventions so have met:-

+ William Russell (Ian), Maureen O'Brien (Vicki), Anneke Wills (Polly)

+ Fraser Hines (Jamie), Debbie Watling (Victoria), Wendy Padbury (Zoe), Nicholas Courtney (The Brig), John Levene (Benton)

+ Caroline John (Liz), Katy Manning (Jo), Richard Franklin (Yates), Lis Sladen (Sarah Jane)

+ Louise Jameson (Leela), David Brierley (K9), Matthew Waterhouse (Adric), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Janet Fielding (Tegan)

+ Peter Davison (Doctor 5), Mark Strickson (Turlough), Nicola Bryant (Peri)

+ Colin Baker (Doctor 6)

+ Sylvester McCoy (Doctor 7), Sophie Aldred (Ace)

+ Marcus Gilbert (Ancelyn), Angela Bruce (Bambera) Geoffrey Hughes (Popplewick), Simon Williams (Gilmore), Graham Cole (various parts), Kate O'Mara (The Rani), Burt Kwouk (Lin Futu), Cheryl Hall (Shirna), Philip Hinchcliffe (producer), Eric Saward (writer and script editor), Gilly Brown (Ohica), Peter Halliday (various parts), Ian Fairbairn (various parts), Andrew Smith (writer), Graeme Harper (director)

+ Paul McGann (Doctor 8), Daphne Ashbrook (Grace), Yee Jee Tso (Chang Lee)

Plus from the new series:-

Annette Badland, Bruno Langley, Alan David, Christina Cole, Rory Jennings, Jacqueline King, Rob Shearman, Steven Moffat
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anybody meet Bill or Pat?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Christopher Eccleston. The latter three were fantastic the first two were a bit horrible!

Also met; Nicholas Courtney, Nicola Bryant, Mary Tamm, Caroline John, Ian Marter and Anthony Ainley (who was intensely shy and private)

and finally - JNT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Okeydokey.

I've met Frazer Hines at Radio Aire in Leeds (A friend of mine who worked there got him to sign my copy of 'The War Games" later that year).

Tom Baker often used to come in to the pub I worked in in Soho. He liked turkey sandwiches with the crusts cut off. Ray Brooks (David Campbell in Daleks Invasion of Earth 2150AD), Martin Jarvis (Vengeance of Varos etc), Bill Mitchell (Doctor Who and the Pescatons), Ed Bishop (Full Fathom Five),

I once sat next to Catherine Tate at a media dinner - lovely time but long before she did any 'Who', and I hadn't even seen her comedy show by then. A very focused and witty lady.

I've worked with Peter Davison, Paul McGann, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston. Splendid chaps, all of them.

Mind you I think David Tennant still owes me the price of a Marathon Bar ! (Snickers nowadays)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SoundWall wrote: »
    I've worked with Peter Davison, Paul McGann, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston. Splendid chaps, all of them.

Did you find CE to be a complete delightful and humble man? I was expecting him to be an intense luvvie with no time for people who want to talk about previous work he has done but he was (to coin his phrase) fantastic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Did you find CE to be a complete delightful and humble man? I was expecting him to be an intense luvvie with no time for people who want to talk about previous work he has done but he was (to coin his phrase) fantastic!

He was lovely, humble and professional. Hardest of all on himself and also very good.( IMHO if he says he had good reasons to leave after one year, then they were justified).

Actually, the same goes for Peter Capaldi, who I now realise I worked with the longest time ago!!
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    William65 wrote: »
    Have you met any doctors? Companions? Villains? Or any writers? Anyone really!

Well I have! :-D

So I met DAVID TENNANT ^_^

https://twitter.com/will_i_am_65/status/391514317952405504

Saw him filming What We Did On our holidays, was in my hometown, there was about 10 off us there, no gates or anything which was awesome!

He was about to go in the car for lunch and he asked if he couldn't just see a few off us, security guard said no as they are behind schedule, he looked over and I was jumping waving my arms, he ran over to me and said "Would you like a picture bud?" I nodded my chess and got the picture, I said thank you so many times and he said "it's a pleasure bud he then ran off and went into the car

Saw more filming when he came back and later got autographs and he remembered me ^_^

Was June the 20th

So feel free to share stories and pictures ;-)

Met Jon Pertwee in the BBC Canteen when a child - he was sitting with Roger Delgado a few weeks before the latter was killed.

Shown a (headless) Dalek when 3 years old - scared the Beejeezus out of me at the time - I don't remember, Dad has repeated that story a number of times.

Met Colin Baker when he was at an autograph signing, Dad was one of the others as was Peter Purvis
  • BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Lis Sladen, Colin Baker (who let me try on the actual coat), Paul Magrs, Terrence Dicks, Katy Manning, Deb Watling, Wendy Padbury, William Russell, Sophie Aldred (twice), Peter Davison, Sylvester McCoy, Tom Baker, Carole Ann Ford, Mary Tamm, Caroline John, Nick Courtney, Anneke Wills, Mark Strickson, Richard Franklin and Bonnie Langford.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met lots of various cast members and production people at conventions over the years, but my favourite memory is having a lengthy chat with Anthony Ainley before he was due on a panel at some convention or other - probably Manopticon sometime in the early 1990s.

His panel had been delayed and he was minding his own business in a corner of the bar. I wandered over purely to say Hi and he started chatting away. I don't recall talking about Doctor Who at all - history and politics mainly, he was very well read. And he offered me some excellent advice about how to give up smoking (start by using a cigarette holder, it allows less smoke into your lungs and also, before too long, you'll feel like such a twit with the damn thing that you'll give up smoking altogether!! Apparently it worked for him!).

Lovely man, nothing like his pantomime villain image.

Oh, and Nick Courtney once bought me a pint.
  • Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I have met Tom Baker, he was shopping where I worked, served him some beef burgers. He was great, very chatty!!

Sheridan Smith, who played Lucie Miller in the audio plays, once gave me a lap dance. Long story short, I was watching her film the sitcom Grownups. As part of the filming she was doing a sexy dance in her underwear, due to some banter I had with her and the production crew, Sheridan came up to me at the end( still in her underwear) and treated me to a sexy lapdance!! needless to say I will be forever grateful. :):):)
  • Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I have also had a twitter conversation with Sophie Aldred, she is really lovely!