Great British Railway Journeys-Series 3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1/25. New series.

Tomorrow 6.30pm - 7pm BBC2.

Michael Portillo learns more about the country's railways, beginning with the Great Eastern Line, which runs along the edge of England and into central London.

On his travels, he discovers the grave-robbing history of Great Yarmouth and tries his hand at working a Victorian swing bridge in Reedham.

He also takes to the air to reveal how a rail guidebook helped aviators during the Second World War.

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great, love it, gets me through the dark days of January.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great British Railway Journeys series 3, BBC2&HD 6.30pm Mon-Fri

This week:
    Mon: Great Yarmouth to Beccles
    Tue: Darsham to Felixstowe
    Wed: Sudbury to Southend
    Thu: Epping to Hackney
    Fri: Fenchurch to Embankment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0196y72
    Definitely a candidate for series record.
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great series, and Michael Portillo is brilliant at presenting it, which surprises me because I wasn't keen on him at all when he was in politics.
    I normally watch this when I'm having my dinner, it's very relaxing after a hard day in the office.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - looking forward to it. Usually record it and watch it later in the evening.
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another one here also looking forward to the new series :D
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this, but as there has been little in the way of promotion, when I first saw it listed in the EPG (on the BBC HD channel) I assumed that it was another repeat.

The BBC really needs to learn how to promote its gems.

And the HD camerawork is wonderful. :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, excellent, that's good news!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    Great series, and Michael Portillo is brilliant at presenting it, which surprises me because I wasn't keen on him at all when he was in politics
    Me too, I could not stand him, nor his politics when he was an MP, but since his election defeat he has successfully reinvented himself to become a good presenter (I also love his contributions on This Week), and really seems to be interested in the subject matter.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its difficult to se how the word 'great ' can be used in the show's title, when the subject matter is National Express East Angia (NXEA). Fortunately they lost the franchise, and the truth is that they badly needed shooting. Try and imagine how it could be that there could be a worse TOC than this! GB Rail were pretty good, but NXEA have been a blight on the community.

Darsham Station would be vastly improved if the pub there were allowed to be licenced again.

I defy someone to make a program me about 'great' road and and to find anything positive at all about the A12. Actually John Peel put the A12 into room 101, I can't remember if this was just the road or the whole of Essex. Oh dear, local train services and lousy roads make me seem like angry old man.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Portillo's Tory government decimated the railways in the 1980s and 1990s I'm surprised there are still any railways left for them to make a program about......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Its difficult to se how the word 'great ' can be used in the show's title, when the subject matter is National Express East Angia (NXEA).
    Because he attempts to follow the "great" journeys as detailed by George Bradshaw in the book Bradshaw's Guide. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    After Portillo's Tory government decimated the railways in the 1980s and 1990s I'm surprised there are still any railways left for them to make a program about......
    In one of the recent episodes, he did mention his role as Minister for Transport in relation to one particular journey. As I recall he was less than sanguine about how his role changed that journey.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then again he was quite proud of his role in saving the Settle-Carlise route.
    No government has aquited itself well with regard to the railways since before Beeching.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching this also, i love the music throughout.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Me too, I could not stand him, nor his politics when he was an MP, but since his election defeat he has successfully reinvented himself to become a good presenter (I also love his contributions on This Week), and really seems to be interested in the subject matter.
    Entirely agree. He presents these series of Railway Journeys excellently and makes it interesting. He also appeared on an episode of 'Who Do You Think You Are', the programme which traces family history and he proved to be a fascinating subject.

During the Spanish Civil War, Portillo's Father and brother both held different political views and his Father backed the losing side (prompting him to flee Spain for the UK). In the programme Michael Portillo returned to meet his extended family, including the Uncle who fought against his own brother!
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    Great series, and Michael Portillo is brilliant at presenting it, which surprises me because I wasn't keen on him at all when he was in politics.
    I normally watch this when I'm having my dinner, it's very relaxing after a hard day in the office.

I'll be watching it after I've had my tea :D I'm from the North :eek: and most around here call the last main meal of the day tea. Strange I know.

Anyway on topic. I think this is a brilliant series, who cares if the 'great' in the title is a little outdated, there is nothing to stop the content of the show and the places visited from being great.

It really can't be last January when the last series was aired. If so time really does fly as you get older.

I see this series lasts for five weeks, which begs the question: when will Micheal run out of train journeys to discover?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    It really can't be last January when the last series was aired. If so time really does fly as you get older.

I see this series lasts for five weeks, which begs the question: when will Micheal run out of train journeys to discover?
    Afraid it is!

I recorded that series on my HD and kept them intending to copy to disc some time but haven't got around to it yet. Now it looks like I will have another 25 episodes to copy! But i'm not complaining.

Like you, I also wonder when Michael will run out of journeys to do and come to the end of the line.....probably when he runs out of track!
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, love this series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    As I recall, he or the producers were asked a similar question last year, there was some talk of extending beyond Great Britain into Europe and other places, but this was before the extent of the budget cuts and Delivering Quality First became apparent.

I just hope that the BBC recognise what a brilliant concept they have, and do extend the scope of the series (as well as keeping Portillo on board).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks OP you have made my hubby happy as he didn't spot this in our TV guide
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    Thanks OP you have made my hubby happy as he didn't spot this in our TV guide

It's more proof that the BBC need to promote this gem more than they do. Make the most of your assets and play to your strengths is what I say. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's more proof that the BBC need to promote this gem more than they do. Make the most of your assets and play to your strengths is what I say. :)

You are absolutely right, I also sent my Sister-in-law a text and she also hadn't noticed it was on.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great British Railway Journeys series 3, BBC2&HD 6.30pm Mon-Fri

This week:
    Mon: Great Yarmouth to Beccles
    Tue: Darsham to Felixstowe
    Wed: Sudbury to Southend
    Thu: Epping to Hackney
    Fri: Fenchurch to Embankment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0196y72
    Definitely a candidate for series record.

Absolutely series record set
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Just noticed this thread! Thanks for the alert, I'd have missed it otherwise :)