Stock Android V Skinned Android

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you guys prefer? Of course there are advantages and disadvantages for both, the stock Android receives faster updates, whilst Vendors have to tweak it to work with their custom UI. Custom skin offers extra features not found in Stock, but can be bloated compared to stock. Anyways I'm sure most of you are familiar with the pros and cons, so assuming you have used both, which do you prefer?

On getting my Nexus 4, I really liked the lightness and speed of stock Android 4.2, but since getting my HTC One, Sense 5 is actually very good, and doesn't result in much bloat or lag. I think it actually enhances Android imo. Of course the downside will be the longer wait for updates, but sense features compensate to some extent so i'm not overly annoyed about that.

Using stock feels like a step back for me now, as I like the camera features on the One, I am sure many feel the same about their Samsung S4s? Would you use an S4 which only offered the default Android experience, or are you quite happy with Samsung's Touchwiz skin and suite of features?

I think, if done well, the custom UI on top of Android can work and actually enhance the overall experience.

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    What do you guys prefer? Of course there are advantages and disadvantages for both, the stock Android receives faster updates, whilst Vendors have to tweak it to work with their custom UI. Custom skin offers extra features not found in Stock, but can be bloated compared to stock. Anyways I'm sure most of you are familiar with the pros and cons, so assuming you have used both, which do you prefer?

On getting my Nexus 4, I really liked the lightness and speed of stock Android 4.2, but since getting my HTC One, Sense 5 is actually very good, and doesn't result in much bloat or lag. I think it actually enhances Android imo. Of course the downside will be the longer wait for updates, but sense features compensate to some extent so i'm not overly annoyed about that.

Using stock feels like a step back for me now, as I like the camera features on the One, I am sure many feel the same about their Samsung S4s? Would you use an S4 which only offered the default Android experience, or are you quite happy with Samsung's Touchwiz skin and suite of features?

I think, if done well, the custom UI on top of Android can work and actually enhance the overall experience.

This I completely agree with on the S4 I hate the interface touchwiz it just seems terrible and doesn't honestly look that it's packed to the teeth with bloatware. Where as on the HTC it seems to flow really well and like the font and added features to android as they work and add useful things. I must admit until Sense 4+ I wasn't a fan of sense I thought it was blocky and like touchwiz but Sense 5 is a completely new and offers an even improved keyboard when i thought sense keyboards were amazing anyway. But I have had nexus devices in the past HTC Nexus i forget what that was called Google Nexus S and so I know what stock android is like and it works brilliantly but it always seems a little under done to me. So I am of a mixed mind I like that nexus devices get updates fast but I like a properly done UI because it adds and gives android the thing it needs.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Depends on what the skin is like really - I'm not keen on the Samsung TouchWiz but have had a Sony Xperia phone and I did like the look of it.

At the moment I have a Nexus 7 and it does look a little plain without any other changes to it.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my s3 came stocked with loads of apps that i dont want or will evr use, chat on, samsung suggests etc, so i would prefer to have them empty or at least the option to delete them without rooting your phone
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a nexus 7 and I've got a Samsung galaxy note and a Samsung galaxy tab 2. I prefer touch wiz as it has a lot more features. Stock android seems a bit plain to me.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer stock Android but TouchWiz is certainly better than Sense.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am ok with the stock Android that comes on the Nexus 4.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't mind TouchWiz, but then I haven't used any other Android phones so I can't really compare. I've never seen stock Android in real life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stock Android looks a bit basic and plain to me. I don't mind the TouchWiz skin itself but I don't like the preinstalled crap it comes with.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had an s2 for two years and a nexus 7 for one.

But when I picked up an s4 to play with, I just couldn't get it. Too used to vanilla now, and I don't think the skins offer anything that an app can't cover. Vanilla for me, though I'll accept Sense. That seemed far closer to vanilla based on having a go in a shop.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,159
    Forum Member
    For fans of stock, plain, or vanila android, theres a version of the S4 cooming out, calle the google editione, with plain android - no touchwizz,
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    For fans of stock, plain, or vanila android, theres a version of the S4 cooming out, calle the google editione, with plain android - no touchwizz,

But is it worth the money? you will have NONE of the Samsung features, and the stock camera app from Android, instead of the Samsung camera suite.

So is it really worth having one over say a Nexus 4 which will have exactly the same look and feel, but lacking in a few things, camera, speaker not so good and of course no removable battery or SD support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But is it worth the money? you will have NONE of the Samsung features, and the stock camera app from Android, instead of the Samsung camera suite.

So is it really worth having one over say a Nexus 4 which will have exactly the same look and feel, but lacking in a few things, camera, speaker not so good and of course no removable battery or SD support.

Specially with it costing roughly same as normal S4.
    Forum Member

The Nexus 4 has a smaller lower res screen as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    The Nexus 4 has a smaller lower res screen as well

Yep it's lower res at 720p on a 4.7 inch screen but it's still a very good screen. Oh on screen buttons, v hardware buttons on the S4 could be an issue though. You do lose screen real estate on apps and games, as the buttons remain, which can be a little annoying.
    That's another thing about Vanilla android with the onscreen buttons. it's something I do not like.

That's something I didn't think about. The S4 has hardware buttons, but Vanilla uses onscreen buttons etc. So what will happen there?
    Forum Member
    Yep it's lower res at 720p on a 4.7 inch screen but it's still a very good screen. Oh on screen buttons, v hardware buttons on the S4 could be an issue though. You do lose screen real estate on apps and games, as the buttons remain, which can be a little annoying.
    That's another thing about Vanilla android with the onscreen buttons. it's something I do not like.

That's something I didn't think about. The S4 has hardware buttons, but Vanilla uses onscreen buttons etc. So what will happen there?

I'd of thought about the hardware buttons - I do find I hit the software button now and again in games and drop out of he homescreen which is annoying to say the least!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd take a vanilla S4 over a touchwiz one anyday. Don't forget it will have the jellybean camera functions, like photosphere which are missing from the S4, nicer interface (IMHO), quicker software updates, no bloatware....

Otherwise, about the only feature of value I can think of that couldn't be replicated with an app is the split screen with two apps showing simultaneously....
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stock Android. I prefer the simplicity and lightness of the software.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sony skin makes Android more polished - just a shame they are so far behind on updates - not even a security update for last years flagship phone (Xperia S) since last summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'd take a vanilla S4 over a touchwiz one anyday. Don't forget it will have the jellybean camera functions, like photosphere which are missing from the S4, nicer interface (IMHO), quicker software updates, no bloatware....

Otherwise, about the only feature of value I can think of that couldn't be replicated with an app is the split screen with two apps showing simultaneously....

Camera functions on the Nexus 4 are somewhat basic though. Photosphere is ok, but it's not easy to pull off a 360, you gotta really move around and when you encounter things like moving people getting in the shot, cars etc, it will mess up. Doesn't always stitch the pics up properly so you can end up with some discrepancies. Not something you can really just use without having to be very careful when shooting and being aware what is around you at all times.

The Sweep panorama is pretty good though and easy to pull off. I wouldn't really mind losing photosphere to be honest. I'd still say the cam features with Sense/touchwiz are superior.
  • Billy BumblyBilly Bumbly Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    If you are a power user stock Android is the natural choice. I can see people with less demanding needs liking the fact that the skins have widgets and apps pre_installed but no experienced user would use any manufacturer app.

Paranoid Android is way better than stock anyway. Why don't Samsung look at what the deva are doing and give us features people would actually use.

And all the TouchWiz S4s can be fixed by flashing the AOSP ROM.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my S3 with touchwiz and nexus 10 with stock android.

It probably helps one being a phone and the other a tablet to differentiate them.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    If you are a power user stock Android is the natural choice. I can see people with less demanding needs liking the fact that the skins have widgets and apps pre_installed but no experienced user would use any manufacturer app.

Paranoid Android is way better than stock anyway. Why don't Samsung look at what the deva are doing and give us features people would actually use.

What is a power user exactly.. Do they drain the battery quicker or something :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    What is a power user exactly.. Do they drain the battery quicker or something :rolleyes:

Think he means someone who does custom roms jail breaks phones that sort of person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh you mean the people who like to spend many an hour testing semi working roms? Rather than spend time actually using the features of a phone and getting the most out of it? I see, guess that is a power user then. :D
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you need to ask what a power user is then you obviously are not a power user.