Lumia 820 - Showing no signal but working?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi Guys,

I bought a second hand Lumia 820 on eBay that's locked to Orange.

Inserting an orange sim card works fine, phone unlocks but shows no signal. However, if I go on the browser, it works.

Anyone know what might cause this?

(need to know whether I need to send this back to the ebay seller)

I've also made sure airplane mode is off, and that I'm not connected to WiFi.

Comments

• Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure what the issue is, but try resetting the phone to factory settings.

Settings > About > Reset your phone
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if the 820 is the same as the 920, but the signal bar doesn't appear on the screen that often, if that is what you mean. Doesn't mean you haven't got a signal though. Just doesn't show the signal bar, compared to android devices & Iphones.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Swipe down from the top of the phone and it'll show the signal bar.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can you still make calls etc, because it tends not to show it as mentioned above, it will display the network name in one of the tiles though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg. how could I not have thought of that.

All Windows Phone devices do not show the signal info unless you either open up the phone app which it always display the signal otherwise you need to swipe on the top right and it'll display the signal info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys,

I'm aware I need to swipe down but it is actually saying it's not connected and also says 'no network' in the settings menu.

When I said it was working it was only data I tested.

I have now manually added the internet APN and it's now showing signal but I can't make calls or texts from it.

Any ideas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which networks sim are you using?

With 3 UK it automatically sets it up for you
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which networks sim are you using?

With 3 UK it automatically sets it up for you

In opening post is says it locked to orange.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try factory reset or possibly check if its set to manually select network? even try another sim?
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Reset it ( with the SIM in). All the correct settings should then get setup on restart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    it's a contract phone that has been blocked, I had an ex contact nokia that was blocked but still allowed me to use data but couldn't use texts or calls, send it back.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm aware I need to swipe down but it is actually saying it's not connected and also says 'no network' in the settings menu.

When I said it was working it was only data I tested.

I have now manually added the internet APN and it's now showing signal but I can't make calls or texts from it.

Any ideas?

It's a blocked phone. Contact the seller and ask for a refund, then tell them to **** themselves for being complete bastards for selling you a blocked phone.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Could it be connected to wifi but the phone is blocked.. hence the no signal. Although there should still be no mobile signal after the phone APN is changed... if it is blocked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

I've done an IMEI search on a couple of sites that I believe were linked to on here (so you could check if the IMEI was blocked) and it didn't show up as blocked either.

I'll try resetting it with the sim card in, and if it doesn't work, raise a case on eBay.

As I say, manually adding the APN is now showing signal on EE and is allowing data to transfer, but no calls or texts.

Out of interest, if the IMEI is blocked, will it still allow data transfer permanently? I'd only bought thi second hand really to use for tethering and not much else.

Thanks.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I've done an IMEI search on a couple of sites that I believe were linked to on here (so you could check if the IMEI was blocked) and it didn't show up as blocked either.

I'll try resetting it with the sim card in, and if it doesn't work, raise a case on eBay.

As I say, manually adding the APN is now showing signal on EE and is allowing data to transfer, but no calls or texts.

Out of interest, if the IMEI is blocked, will it still allow data transfer permanently? I'd only bought thi second hand really to use for tethering and not much else.

Thanks.

Yes, data will continue to work on some networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

Seller has issued a refund and I will post it back.

Do you recommend taking any kind of pictures etc before sending it back, to prove it's condition?