Glasgow 2014

Comments

• bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opaque wrote: »
    That's the thing. It's not that. The title gives it away, it's Commonwealth, not world athletes. It's great of course, but it's not the Olympics

Does it mean Canadians, Australians will be able to participate, but not the Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Russians and Eastern European nations. Well most of the competition wiped out apart from the Australians.:D
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Does it mean Canadians, Australians will be able to participate, but not the Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Russians and Eastern European nations. Well most of the competition wiped out apart from the Australians.:D

But Team England have got to come back from Scotalnd with more GOLD's than the host nation. :D
    Only done twice since last Scotland Games and we came SECOND in Manchester.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »

If Jamaica & Kenya send a good squad the track races will be very competitive - there are a far few events where it's easier to win a European title compared to a Commonwealth title.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Birmingham puts in a bid for the 2022 or 2026 games.

Since the games have started they have mainly being in New Zealand, Canada, Australia or in the UK. Only on 3 occassions has it gone to the rest of the World.

In the UK London and Manchester have hosted it in England, Cardiff in Wales, and Edinburgh twice, and Glasgow will in 2014.

It will probably go to Canada in 2022 though. Birmingham in 2026 would be good.

As for Glasgow I'm looking forward to it, and will look at buying tickets for it next week.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Birmingham puts in a bid for the 2022 or 2026 games.

Since the games have started they have mainly being in New Zealand, Canada, Australia or in the UK. Only on 3 occassions has it gone to the rest of the World.

In the UK London and Manchester have hosted it in England, Cardiff in Wales, and Edinburgh twice, and Glasgow will in 2014.

It will probably go to Canada in 2022 though. Birmingham in 2026 would be good.

As for Glasgow I'm looking forward to it, and will look at buying tickets for it next week.

I would like to see a Birmingham games.
    venues:
    Alexander Stadium. Upgrade to 25,000 perm seats. with maybe another 15,000 temp?
    Opening ceremony Vllla Park
    Rugby 7's St Andrew's or Villa Park?
    Aquatics, is the Birmingham Aquatic Centrte still being built?
    Badminton - NIA
    Cricket? - Edgebaston

South Africa Games by 2030?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,286
    Forum Member
    Starts a year today...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Starts a year today...

It starts on 23rd July until 3rd August
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,286
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Mark F wrote: »
    Starts a year today...

It starts on 23rd July until 3rd August

hm...I am sure heard somebody on 5live say it was a year today but then did think that was a bit late.

:o
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ticket application process opens today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23634109 and http://www.glasgow2014.com/tickets

No need to rush though as you have 4 weeks to get applications in before the draw is made. It's a different system to what London used. Whether it is better or worse is to be seen.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Ticket application process opens today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23634109 and http://www.glasgow2014.com/tickets

No need to rush though as you have 4 weeks to get applications in before the draw is made. It's a different system to what London used. Whether it is better or worse is to be seen.

I've seen a lot of people grumbling they can't get in on the site yet and that there is a queue. No wonder if everyone rushes there at once, I'm going to leave it a day or two. It's not like there is any benefit to getting your application in 1st....:D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people grumbling they can't get in on the site yet and that there is a queue. No wonder if everyone rushes there at once, I'm going to leave it a day or two. It's not like there is any benefit to getting your application in 1st....:D

That was always going to happen. Tell people not to panic and the first thing they do is...panic.

I've only printed off the schedule and then I'm going to work out what I may be interested in and plan when I can take some time off work in 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've only printed off the schedule and then I'm going to work out what I may be interested in and plan when I can take some time off work in 2014.

yeah i'm going to try and request a range of tickets between the 23rd and 28th July so that hopefully i'll actually get tickets for two or three days close together.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually London 2012 sold the initial batch of tickets the same way. In addition, the same company has been contracted to operate the system...good luck to anyone applying for tickets (including myself), we'll need it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed about multi sports so perhaps a case for renaming the thread then.
    If I were a mod/admin, I would also create 2 sub-forums within the Sport sub-forum - one for Glasgow 2014, another for Sochi 2014; then (if possible) shift this thread to its namesake.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually London 2012 sold the initial batch of tickets the same way. In addition, the same company has been contracted to operate the system...good luck to anyone applying for tickets (including myself), we'll need it.

I really don't think Londons 2012 ticketing system was too bad in the end. There was always going to be a high demand for Olympic tickets, although I was amazed by the amount of demand.

I don't think any ticketing website ever copes with an extreme high demand for tickets though. I remember nearly getting tickets for a Take That concert, but failed to get them as the website crashed, just as I was on the last screen to get them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think Londons 2012 ticketing system was too bad in the end. There was always going to be a high demand for Olympic tickets, although I was amazed by the amount of demand.

I don't think any ticketing website ever copes with an extreme high demand for tickets though. I remember nearly getting tickets for a Take That concert, but failed to get them as the website crashed, just as I was on the last screen to get them.

Yeah, I personally think the biggest issue was people with unrealistic expectations of the process: that is that if they applied for athletics finals tickets they would get them. No common sense employed in looking at some qualifying events, or some less premium events. Fair enough if you really only want to see athletics finals, but then don't complain when you don't get them and are left empty handed in the balloting process when you are going for an event that was always going to be over subscribed.

My recollection is that those left with no tickets had first pick in the 2nd round of ticketing, yet only a relatively low percentage bothered to do so, and there were still some very good tickets going at that stage.

Anyway, submitted my application, went for a range of events between 24th and 28th july.Fingers crossed. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the current state of play, in order of decreasing probability of success in acquiring tickets (adapted from the Glasgow 2014 website and rewritten, correct as of 30 August):

Good demand
    Para-Sport Powerlifting, Weightlifting, Wrestling - high chance of success
    Rugby Sevens - high chance of success due to venue capacity
    Badminton, Hockey, Lawn Bowls, Netball, Table Tennis - good chance of success (especially in earlier rounds/preliminaries) due to competition duration
    Squash - fair chance of success (especially in earlier rounds) due to competition duration
    Boxing - fair chance of success in preliminaries and quarter-finals

Very popular
    Judo - fair chance of success in first two days of competition
    Athletics (Track & Field) - fair chance of success in morning sessions
    Gymnastics (Rhythmic) - fair chance of success at Price Category 2
    Ceremonies - higher chance of success at all but the lowest price category

Extremely popular
    Aquatics (Swimming), Cycling (Mountain), Gymnastics (Artistic), Shooting, Triathlon - tickets highly likely to be allocated by ballot
    Aquatics (Diving), Cycling (Track) - ballot certainly required since demand already exceeds supply

Athletics (Marathon) and Cycling (Time Trial/Road Race) events are free.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    My recollection is that those left with no tickets had first pick in the 2nd round of ticketing, yet only a relatively low percentage bothered to do so, and there were still some very good tickets going at that stage.

I was one of those who bothered to get up for a 6am ticket scramble in the 2nd round. Got some synchronised swimming tickets, which turned out to be oversold, so instead I was offered tickets to almost anything I wanted (I chose and attended final night of Athletics - men's 4x100m relay and 5000m gold medal races). :cool:

Later on, acquaintances questioned how on earth I had managed to get tickets - by being up before 6am a year before the games started, that's how! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the current state of play, in order of decreasing probability of success in acquiring tickets (adapted from the Glasgow 2014 website and rewritten, correct as of 30 August):

Good demand
    Para-Sport Powerlifting, Weightlifting, Wrestling - high chance of success
    Badminton, Hockey, Lawn Bowls, Netball, Table Tennis - good chance of success (especially in earlier rounds/preliminaries) due to competition duration
    Squash - fair chance of success (especially in earlier rounds) due to competition duration
    Boxing - fair chance of success in preliminaries and quarter-finals

Very popular
    Judo - fair chance of success in first two days of competition
    Athletics (Track & Field) - fair chance of success in morning sessions
    Gymnastics (Rhythmic) - fair chance of success at Price Category 2
    Ceremonies - higher chance of success at all but the lowest price category

Extremely popular
    Aquatics (Swimming), Cycling (Mountain), Gymnastics (Artistic), Shooting, Triathlon - tickets highly likely to be allocated by ballot
    Aquatics (Diving), Cycling (Track) - ballot certainly required since demand already exceeds supply

Athletics (Marathon) and Cycling (Time Trial/Road Race) events are free.

A useful guide for anyone who hasn't submitted their ballot yet.

I've applied for tickets that fall under all three of those categories, so hopefully I will get something out of the ballot, even if it ends up being badminton and weightlifting.

Quite surprised demand isn't higher for the rugby sevens tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Later on, acquaintances questioned how on earth I had managed to get tickets - by being up before 6am a year before the games started, that's how! ;)

I did very well picking up single tickets when they were being released in small batches in the late spring of 2012. People seem to think there was some kind of magic trick to it, but really it was just a case of checking the web site a couple of times a day and sometimes getting lucky.

Essentially, if one was prepared to put in a little effort, tickets were very attainable. In the last couple of weeks it changed because people suddenly were camping out on the website, but prior to that there were plenty of opportunities for folks to get tickets. Most however didn't bother when they were not dropped in to their lap at the ballot stage.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    They were utterly utterly mad to put the Rugby Sevens at Ibrox. Firstly it shows they dont have a clue about the demand for the sport, nor secondly did they learn from the London 2012 football fiasco.

The Scottish Sevens event held each year as part of the IRB sevens whilst popular, and highly rated was moved from Murrayfield to the Scotstoun stadium to better match the actual demand for tickets, and thus generate the atmosphere.

That they then thought they could fill a much bigger stadium for a lesser event, which the Commonwealth Games is in tournament terms, is, frankly, stupid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    They were utterly utterly mad to put the Rugby Sevens at Ibrox. Firstly it shows they dont have a clue about the demand for the sport, nor secondly did they learn from the London 2012 football fiasco.

The Scottish Sevens event held each year as part of the IRB sevens whilst popular, and highly rated was moved from Murrayfield to the Scotstoun stadium to better match the actual demand for tickets, and thus generate the atmosphere.

That they then thought they could fill a much bigger stadium for a lesser event, which the Commonwealth Games is in tournament terms, is, frankly, stupid

Where else could they feasibly hold it? Celtic Park which is hosting the Opening Ceremony has a bigger capacity than Ibrox.

I disagree about your assessment of the Commonwealth 7s - I would suggest that for most Rugby fans in this country there would be far more interest in the Commonwealth tournament than the IRB sevens series.

Obviously we don't know the full breakdown yet but it wouldn't surprise me if there was high demand for the final day sessions which includes the Quarter Finals onwards with the 2 prelim sessions having lower demand.

I still think it will end up selling well - the tickets are sensibly priced with concessions available. Manchester sold well, albeit the capacity there was about 10K lower than Ibrox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were utterly utterly mad to put the Rugby Sevens at Ibrox.

That answers the questions posed up thread then, hadn't realised it was being held at Ibrox....
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Where else could they feasibly hold it? Celtic Park which is hosting the Opening Ceremony has a bigger capacity than Ibrox.
    The Scotstoun stadium, which has hosted the Scottish sevens successfully for the last 2 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scotstoun stadium, which has hosted the Scottish sevens successfully for the last 2 years.

That's a piddly little stadium though - capacity there can't be more than about 10K. Way too small.