Airbus A 380 ... The Super Jumbo ...

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,870
Forum Member
The Airbus A380 is a double-deck, wide-body, four-engine jet airliner manufactured by the European corporation Airbus.

It is the world's largest passenger airliner and, due to its size, many airports have had to upgrade their facilities to properly accommodate it.

The aircraft was designed to challenge Boeing's monopoly in the large-aircraft market; the A380 made its first flight on 27 April 2005 and began commercial service in October 2007 with Singapore Airlines.
The A380's upper deck extends along the entire length of the fuselage, with a width equivalent to a wide-body aircraft.

This allows for an A380-800's cabin with 5,145.1 sq ft of floor space; 49% more floor space than the next-largest airliner, the Boeing 747-400 (with 3,455.2 sq ft) and provides seating for 525 people in a typical three-class configuration or up to 853 people in all-economy class configurations.

The A380-800 has a design range of 15,400 kilometres ( 9,600 mi), sufficient to fly from New York to Hong Kong...............and a cruising speed of Mach 0.85 (about 560 mph at cruising altitude).
As of November 2012 there had been 262 firm orders for the A380, of which 92 have been delivered.

The largest order, for 90 aircraft, was from Emirates.

Non stop New York to Hong Kong ! what a flight, wonder when they are going to attempt it .
853 people on one flight, that's got to go into the guiness book of records when they finally do it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViH5dONH0tI

Wow, did n't think it was going to stop before the runway ran out !
must be burning up some break discs !

Comments

• rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow.....:sleep:
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    It's got quite nice khazis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have RyanAir got one ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cool :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    the A380 made its first flight on 27 April 2005 and began commercial service in October 2007 with Singapore Airlines.

So you want us to discuss a five year old news story? :confused:
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    Richard Branson must be licking his lips at the very thought of getting 850 plus passengers aboard !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be very nice to be able to afford 1st class or business class and to be able to use the bar and restaurant.
    Anybody been on one economy class? Bet you're not allowed near the bar or restaurant.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work on them! :cool:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    It would be very nice to be able to afford 1st class or business class and to be able to use the bar and restaurant.
    Anybody been on one economy class? Bet you're not allowed near the bar or restaurant.

Economy on Emirates in pretty good on an A380. Better than most airlines in a 747 as there is more room and the plane is quieter.

On Emirates the bar is upstairs with F and Business. Those in the cheap seats are kept in their place downstairs. Every operator has its own configuration though. For the ones BA have on order isn't doesn't look like they are having a bar: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-b787-and-a380-layout-confirmed

On Emirates, passengers in First can use a shower - but they only get a few minutes water each.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Saw the A380 doing it's "thing" at the Farnborough Airshow - it's a MONSTER!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if someone misbehaves ? Do they have a brig ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Economy on Emirates in pretty good on an A380. Better than most airlines in a 747 as there is more room and the plane is quieter.

On Emirates the bar is upstairs with F and Business. Those in the cheap seats are kept in their place downstairs. Every operator has its own configuration though. For the ones BA have on order isn't doesn't look like they are having a bar: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-b787-and-a380-layout-confirmed

On Emirates, passengers in First can use a shower - but they only get a few minutes water each.

As soon as I win the lottery I am booking to fly long haul in 1st class.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Saw the A380 doing it's "thing" at the Farnborough Airshow - it's a MONSTER!

I see them every day as I can see them on final approach to Heathrow :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    What happens if someone misbehaves ? Do they have a brig ?

Yes, it's outside. The same place they should put the creche. :)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

Haha! :D

Its is a beast of a plan and a joy to fly on. I love it :D
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time I want to watch a video of a plane is when it's about to crash spectacularly in a huge fireball into a heavily populated city.

Otherwise it's all a bit tiresome.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time I want to watch a video of a plane is when it's about to crash spectacularly in a huge fireball into a heavily populated city.

Otherwise it's all a bit tiresome.
    If you wait long enough the A380 will develop cracks in its wings then they might fall off.:eek:
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    Does it run on lithium-ion batteries?
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    If you wait long enough the A380 will develop cracks in its wings then they might fall off.:eek:

Oh that's just naughty.
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    If Emirates have got it and Singapore Airlines, it must be making regular visits to Heathrow....
    .... am I wrong ?
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine the queue at US Immigration when that thing lands - or UK Immigration! You'd be there for hours (more than you already are).

And imagine the amount of sewage that has to be offloaded! 800 odd people on a 12 hour flight! That's an awful lot of jobbies.
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still find it amazing that 109 years ago this sort of thing would seen alien to the entire population. That is a huge chunk of metal that flys through the sky!!

The rate technology has expanded is immense.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been on the SQ and AF A380s....pleasant enough

The A380 Assembly plant tour in Toulouse is fun ....and a bargain at around 15 Euros or so
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »

Economy on a Singapore Airlines A380 is pretty decent. And no need for a bar, alcoholic drinks served at your seat on request even in economy :)
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they back on track again after the cracks on the wings? I imagine Boeing were gloating for while until their recent Dreamliner probs!