Quiet PVR

TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive been thinking of getting a new PVR,
My Sky+ is so quiet i don't even notice it's on . Cant say the same for my Panasonic PVR, i can hear a loud hum as soon as i switch it on, bit annoying sometimes.
Are there any PVRs just as quiet as a SKY+ box on the market now.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Ive been thinking of getting a new PVR,
    My Sky+ is so quiet i don't even notice it's on . Cant say the same for my Panasonic PVR, i can hear a loud hum as soon as i switch it on, bit annoying sometimes.
    Are there any PVRs just as quiet as a SKY+ box on the market now.

The Humax HDR-1000S is quieter than any Sky+ box I ever heard. You have to put your ear to it to tell it's on. It's so quiet that I had to use a usb lead with a led in it to tell when it wakes up to record. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would expect some sort of hum from a pvr, either from the fan or the hdd. The Humax HDR T2 is a quiet pvr and comes highly recommended.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the Humax HDR-Fox T2. Never hear anything from it...They also have a 'YouView' version out now, if you want to be right up to date....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Another vote for the Humax HDR-Fox T2. Never hear anything from it...They also have a 'YouView' version out now, if you want to be right up to date....

Have YouView sorted out the firmware problems on the Humax YV box ?. I read on here that the box was excellent but the firmware spoiled it in some way, although i'm not sure what the problem was/is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would expect some sort of hum from a pvr, either from the fan or the hdd. The Humax HDR T2 is a quiet pvr and comes highly recommended.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx

I have both the HDR-1000s and the HDR FOX T2 (500GB) and both are equally quiet, Be aware the 1TB HDR FOX T2 is said to have a noisier HDD than the 500GB model.

I qouted the HDR-1000s as the OP already has a dish.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice,Humax looks the answer.. The PVR i have now has a DVD player. not a big deal as i rarely play dvds, mostly used to copy the odd tv series to disc for relative. I assume i could have both PVRs connected to TV with some sort of splitter so would still have the option of DVD play/copy.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would connect them to separate sockets on the TV. If there are not enough sockets of the appropriate type on the TV then you need a switch (not a splitter) to extend the number of options.

The Humax PVRs mentioned use HDMI as the primary connection so that would go to the TV. To connect one of those to your DVD recorder as well would need a SCART lead between the two if you wanted to copy to DVD off the new PVR.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    My Humax HDR Fox t2 isn't quiet. The fan spins up after 1hr of viewing. It's in tv cabinet (that's open to the back, and certainly miles away from being remotely airtight).

Once the hard drive gets to a certain temp, the fan kicks in.

I had a pace twin before, and that was silient (aside from the drive spinning up), as it had no cooling fan.

One option I'm considering is replacing the 3.5" drive with a 2.5" - which will run a lot cooler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartinN wrote: »
    My Humax HDR Fox t2 isn't quiet. The fan spins up after 1hr of viewing. It's in tv cabinet (that's open to the back, and certainly miles away from being remotely airtight).

Once the hard drive gets to a certain temp, the fan kicks in.

I had a pace twin before, and that was silient (aside from the drive spinning up), as it had no cooling fan.

One option I'm considering is replacing the 3.5" drive with a 2.5" - which will run a lot cooler.

Is it a 1TB or 500GB model ?

Mines on an open shelf about 4ft from my left ear and i have never heard the fan spin up at all.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Nope, never had any disturbance from fan noise. in the 2 years of ownership........:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Nope, never had any disturbance from fan noise. in the 2 years of ownership........:)

Same here. Most of the time I couldn't tell if it had started the scheduled recordings either so I installed the custom firmware and set the recording ring light to turn red in SB mode just so i'd know it was working.....it's that quiet :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    500gb model.

Must be unlucky I guess! My amp kicks out a fair amount of heat, I expect without that, or I if my "rack" was completely open to the elements - it would stay quiet.