MUSIC WHILE YOU WORK broadcasts on line

Comments

• Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two further editions of 'Music While You Work' have now been added to my site. First is a delightful 45 minute edition by Ralph Elman and his Bohemian Players. Then you can enjoy Eddie Strevens and his quartet. Eddie was an exponent of the 'hot fiddle' as well as the saxophone. Both of these combinations were regularly on the air in the sixties and before. I hope you enjoy them!
    http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC Scottish Variety Orchestra and Jimmy Leach and his Organolians are the latest programmes to be added to my website. Jimmy Leach played on the first day of the programme in 1940, so it was appropriate that he should play this, the final programme, on the last day of the Light Programme. Jimmy was apparently very upset at the programme's demise as he regarded it as an important part of his life. He never broadcast again.
    http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/
  • logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks Brian. Ralf Elman's orchestra was a brilliant light music band, and this recording shows their talents very well. Very daring to choose 'The Count of Luxembourg Waltz', although the section chosen wasn't the one used by Radio Luxembourg. :)

Jimmy Leach's broadcast was a significant edition, being the last regular broadcast. I must admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the organ, but Jimmy Leach does it very well.
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The announcer at the end of the Jimmy Leach programme is that of Paul Hollingdale who, of course, was the first voice on Radio 2 the following morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now added two more MWYW broadcasts to my website http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/ They are by Ronnie Pleydell and his Orchestra (a band popular in London nightclubs such as 'The Latin Quarter' during the fifties and sixties) - and Fredric Cooper and his Tipica Orchestra, an attractive light orchestra with a leaning towards Latin-American rhythms.

I hope you enjoy them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest editions to my website http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/ are from pianist, Ian Stewart and his Quartet and the BBC Scottish Radio Orchestra, conductor Iain Sutherland. I had the pleasure of meeting him once again, a few days ago, when he came to address the Robert Farnon Society. It was also my pleasure to present him with a copy of his first broadcast as a conductor (from 1965).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I should mention that I've added a military band section to my site (see above) with broadcasts by the Irish Guards and the Royal Engineers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further MWYW broadcasts now added to my site http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/
    Harold C.Gee and his Maritza Players (Light orchestra), Albert Delroy Sextet (accordion led) and the dance bands of Syd Dean and Claude Cavalotti.

I hope you enjoy them!
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Brian.

Meant to say that I heard you on The Listeners' Archive show last month (Radio 2). Enjoyed hearing the recording of John Dunn on Breakfast Special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are spoiling us Brian ! Many thanks. I recently listened to the 1963 broadcast by Ken Beaumont and his Sextet, and it was pleasure to listen to these talented musicians playing with such enthusiasm. I look forward to listening to these latest recordings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have added two more broadcasts to my site http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk
    The first is by Harold Geller and his orchestra (who used to play at the Kensington Palace Hotel) and the second is from Jack Salisbury and his orchestra, long associated with the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill.

I hope you enjoy them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two further programmes of 'Music While You Work' now added to my website http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/
    These are from trumpeter Stan Reynolds and his Octet and virtuoso accordionist Henry Krein and his Quartet. I hope you enjoy listening to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I should mention that, whilst the Henry Krein programme is on the page devoted to this artist, the Stan Reynolds programme is on the MWYW page!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two further editions have been added to my website http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/
    West End bandleader Jack Nathan and his Band and the light orchestral sound of Les Perry and his Players.. Happy Listening!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest editions to my website for you to enjoy are from Eric Galloway and his Orchestra (dance band) and Jacques Vallez and his Players (continental style light orchestra).
    As there is not a separate page for Eric Galloway (I don't know much about him) his programme can be found on the MWYW page.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    This might be of interest to those who like this type of music.
    http://www.seeburg1000.com/

It plays a continuous selection of music from the old Seeburg background music system and as these were installed in shops, offices etc I think that qualifies it as "Music While You Work" of a slightly different kind.

The sound quality is quite good considering the music is taken from 16rpm records, you can hear the occasional click and turntable rumble in the gaps. Seeburg don't appear to have given out any information as to who is on the records.

A local company (The Ditchburn Organisation) offered something similar using special tape cartridges.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Ray266 wrote: »
    He may well have been, But to be honest most so called music programmes on the BBC Light programme got on my nerves back in the 1960's it was Auntie telling us what was good for us & like it? Well I didn't like it.

I agree. We lived in an area where reception of Radio Caroline was very marginal and there was nothing else to listen to apart from this drivel (until Luxy came on at night). We all knew that there was some great music being made in the States and we were missing out on most of it mainly because of restrictive practices of the musician's union, the governments unwillingness to introduce commercial radio and the BBC's enthusiasm for telling us what was good for us.

Morning Music, Music While You Work, Music Box with Tim Gudgin etc etc
    I hate these programmes with a vengeance..
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    I agree. We lived in an area where reception of Radio Caroline was very marginal and there was nothing else to listen to apart from this drivel (until Luxy came on at night). We all knew that there was some great music being made in the States and we were missing out on most of it mainly because of restrictive practices of the musician's union, the governments unwillingness to introduce commercial radio and the BBC's enthusiasm for telling us what was good for us.

Morning Music, Music While You Work, Music Box with Tim Gudgin etc etc
    I hate these programmes with a vengeance..

I couldn't agree with you more, I can remember even now sitting on the sofa as ten year old must have been the mid 60's in the lady's flat below where we lived she had the BBC Home service on in the morning :yawn: , Then in the afternoon she would go to her other radio to listen to Music While You Work on the BBC Light while she went in the bath, I only went in her flat because I was a friend of her daughter who was the same age as me at the time but how boring it all was, If I took my radio in her flat I had Radio 270 on I was told to turn it off or go outside she called Radio 270 a racket! so she didn't like as AB60's would say the Beatles, Stones & Motown I did so I waited outside:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 1960s pop music was marginalised, and the music played on programmes like 'Music While You Work' was considered main stream. It is ironic that today that pop music is everywhere but this kind of music is never heard. Although I loathed them in the 1960s, today I find these programmes a breath of fresh air and enjoy listening to them. Thank you Brian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are absolutely right, Logjam. Light music and dance band programmes predominated in the 50s and 60s as they were enjoyed by the majority - pop programmes being provided for the younger element of the audience, who were then very much in the minority. Although 'Music While You Work' programmes were initially intended to cheer up factory workers, the BBC admitted in 1955 that the show was getting an average audience of 4million domestic listeners.

I'm not quite sure why those who hated the show, express their views on this particular thread. I started it several years ago to draw attention to the many complete broadcasts which I have included on my own website.http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/. The latest editions feature the big-band swing of Jack Dorsey and his Orchestra and the light music of Fred Alexander and his Players. I hope some of you will enjoy them!
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are absolutely right, Logjam. Light music and dance band programmes predominated in the 50s and 60s as they were enjoyed by the majority - pop programmes being provided for the younger element of the audience, who were then very much in the minority. Although 'Music While You Work' programmes were initially intended to cheer up factory workers, the BBC admitted in 1955 that the show was getting an average audience of 4million domestic listeners.

I'm not quite sure why those who hated the show, express their views on this particular thread. I started it several years ago to draw attention to the many complete broadcasts which I have included on my own website.http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/. The latest editions feature the big-band swing of Jack Dorsey and his Orchestra and the light music of Fred Alexander and his Players. I hope some of you will enjoy them!

I have given my opinion on this programme, No offence meant by me to you Brian everybody to their own & you enjoyed these programmes that's great, But as a lad of 10 in 1965 those programmes wasn't what I liked & there wasn't much pop music on the Radio well not on the BBC [Radio ] anyway for young people as you know, Best regards. Ray
  • the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are absolutely right, Logjam. 'Music While You Work' programmes were initially intended to cheer up factory workers, the BBC admitted in 1955 that the show was getting an average audience of 4million domestic listeners.

Anyone know if 4 million listeners,was at the time considered high?
    I wonder what the total 'available audience' was? ie the potential audience for MWYW ?
    Really a show's % share of the available audience is the measure of popularity, not it's absolute measure in numbers.
    I would imagine in 1955 MWYW's % share was high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray, I can assure you that you have not caused me any offence. We are both entitled to our opinions and the world would be a boring place if we all had the same tastes.

Regarding audience figures, I reckon that 4 Million wasn't at all bad, bearing in mind that it only represented the home listening audience, and excluded the factory workers for whom it was aimed and the burgeoning number of motorists. Of course many people worked in jobs where radio was not permitted - office workers for example. The figure of 4 million apparently applied to the afternoon editions, broadcast on the light programme. Undoubtedly the morning editions would be higher as the programme was broadcast simultaneously on the Home Service and Light Programme for many years, at a time when no other stations (in Britain) were broadcasting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think if most people are being honest they would not say that this is 'bad music', but it was, in the 60s, portrayed as the music that you ought to listen to. There is nothing more likely to make people hate something (good or bad) than being made to have to it.

My challenge to everyone who was made to listen to these programmes in the past is to download some of these shows, listen to them, and see if you can't enjoy them now ,given that today it is your choice. :)

I'm not keen on every kind of orchestra here, but some of them are brilliant, and in all cases they are very talented musicians.

They bring back a lot of memories too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've added two more editions to http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/ for the benefit of those who enjoy them. I've provided a programme by Johnny Howard and his Orchestra. (for this you should go to the specific Music While You Work page and scroll down until you come to it.) I've also added a programme by the band of the Grenadier Guards, and this can be found in the Military bands section.