BBC THREE HD and CBBC HD placeholders now up

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I can't pick up Arq B, Local, HD 1, or HD 2 at the moment from Crystal Palace. I can get BBC A, BBC B, SDN, Arq A and D 3&4 though. Hmm.
  • spyrojam86spyrojam86 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Greebo wrote: »
    Just appeared on the BBCB mux:

LCN 105 BBC THREE HD
    LCN 73 CBBC HD

MHEG says "New service launching soon"
    Probably the best news I have read about Freeview in ages! :D
  • Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter Hill has the placeholders up now too.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    That's good news. I wonder when and where it will pop up on Satellite?

But before Xmas is better than next year as they said it would be.

Slightly off topic: I wonder if all these new FREE HD channels popping up will make Sky rethink their £10 extra for HD channels? (No hope and Bob Hope I think!)
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter Hill has the placeholders up now too.

They (73,105) came up at 11:30 ish this morning on WH - that's my tx as well.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    It actually says "New channels" which is wrong. It's a new channel, one Channel which changes it's name and LCN twice a day. It's time the BBC knew what a channel is.

And to be pedantic it's nothing new as BBC3 has been there for some time now.

So it's two halves of a better quality service of two half channels. :D

Anyway: They are up on my Dover transmitter and already tuned in on my TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It actually says "New channels"

Sometime today it has been changed from the text I saw and reported this morning. Now has:
    BBC logo

Coming soon, new HD channels from the BBC:

Ch 73 CBBC HD
    Ch 105 BBC THREE HD

Seems fine to me ;-)
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometime today it has been changed from the text I saw and reported this morning. Now has:
    BBC logo

Coming soon, new HD channels from the BBC:

Ch 73 CBBC HD
    Ch 105 BBC THREE HD

Seems fine to me ;-)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jDQFXdYcQrw/Ul1wGHg-xCI/AAAAAAAAHN8/W1qq12tHrjI/s1600/aBBC3CBBCHDCaption.png
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    FYI Al Jazeera is by itself and 1440x1080i

Im hoping thats not going to be the resolution at launch or after horizontal stretching, it will look shite, much like BBC HD did before they finally got their act together and went to 1920
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no reason for them to use 1440x1080i/25; surely the new muxes will use the same encoders as BBC B, which can handle 5 1920x1080i/25 streams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    There's no reason for them to use 1440x1080i/25; surely the new muxes will use the same encoders as BBC B, which can handle 5 1920x1080i/25 streams.

Only if the new HD muxes have the same total bit rate as BBC B. If any of the parameters are different eg. more robust to increase coverage, then you won't be able to use the same encoders configuration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we give them a chance folks? It's a test reel on the first day we've noticed that an unannounced transmission has appeared! I'm seeing someone on twitter posting that it had gone off air ( https://twitter.com/StevenNT/status/390144954011369472 ) - anyone confirm that?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see the new HD place holders up here from Craigkelly transmitter to via the Youview box. Hope the other BBC HD channel place holders will go up soon. Hope the channels will start before Christmas. Although I do watch BBC 3 I can't say I watch it everyday.
    I'm the same with BBC 2 I do watch that channel but not everyday.
    As for BBC 4 I only watch that channel now and again.
    Dad likes BBC news channel so that being in HD soon will be good.

Darren
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC3 HD showing as new channel on Freeview Lite, does that mean that we will not get BBC4 HD? I would have thought that a case could be made for BBC4 HD rather than BBC3 HD if it is not possible to carry both on Freeview Lite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Glad to see the new HD place holders up here from Craigkelly transmitter to via the Youview box. Hope the other BBC HD channel place holders will go up soon. Hope the channels will start before Christmas.

BBC3 and CBBC HD are easy because they're on the existing HD mux which is already broadcasting nationally. The other new BBC HD channels need the new HD muxes which involves physical engineering work and that takes time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    BBC3 HD showing as new channel on Freeview Lite, does that mean that we will not get BBC4 HD? I would have thought that a case could be made for BBC4 HD rather than BBC3 HD if it is not possible to carry both on Freeview Lite.

It is not possible to carry both BBC3 HD and BBC4 HD on Freeview Lite. BBC4 HD will be on one of the new HD muxes which aren't even going to be on all the main transmitters, and even the transmitters that do get it will be reduced power compared to the existing muxes.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's been discussed a fair bit before, but unfortunately BBC3 gets more viewers than BBC4. You will only get BBC3 HD on "Freeview Lite."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That's been discussed a fair bit before, but unfortunately BBC3 gets more viewers than BBC4. You will only get BBC3 HD on "Freeview Lite."

Well actuallly you will get CBBC HD and BBC3 HD on Freeview Lite, they timeshare.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only BBC Three/CBBC HD will be available to Freeview Lite areas (and many other normal Freeview transmitters for that matter). And while yes, a case might be made for BBC Four HD to be on that instead, that would mean BBC Four/CBeebies HD - which doesn't really cater to as many people (imho).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think this deserves its own thread and a changelog mention?
    I've posted it on the Change Log.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It actually says "New channels" which is wrong. It's a new channel, one Channel which changes it's name and LCN twice a day. It's time the BBC knew what a channel is.
    The BBC's definition of a television channel agrees with mine. It's a matter of opinion, not fact.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good news. I wonder when and where it will pop up on Satellite?

But before Xmas is better than next year as they said it would be.

Slightly off topic: I wonder if all these new FREE HD channels popping up will make Sky rethink their £10 extra for HD channels? (No hope and Bob Hope I think!)

Sky dont charge £10 for HD unless you are getting premium channels in HD now, since April this year Sky have EE+ which is Entertainment Extra with HD in line with that and that also includes Boxsets on demand content (not the catch up on demand content) for £5 more than normal EE.
    Its much better.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you go through life doing this? :(
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Sky dont charge £10 for HD unless you are getting premium channels in HD now, since April this year Sky have EE+ which is Entertainment Extra with HD in line with that and that also includes Boxsets on demand content (not the catch up on demand content) for £5 more than normal EE.
    Its much better.

And so ends the company political broadcast by Uncle Rupert!

They change extra for HD - Endof!