Monty Python double bill tonight (29th June) from 10.25pm BBC1

gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
Forum Member
✭✭
For the Monty Python members of the board

10.25pm Imagine...Monty Python & Now For Something Rather Similar
Alan Yentob meets the 5 surviving members ahead of their reunion

11.40pm And Now For Something Completely Different

Not too sure if the documentary at 10.25pm is a repeat or it's new?

Comments

• TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the TV mags, it is a new programme Gerry.

Got to watch this after the footie....
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you've reached an age when you no longer think John Clease is funny, you know you ain't gonna like it if you watch it. I only found it mildly amusing when it was new.
    I'm sure many will enjoy it, particularly some who didn't see the shows first time round.

But I'll give it a miss.
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you've reached an age when you no longer think John Clease is funny, you know you ain't gonna like it if you watch it. I only found it mildly amusing when it was new.
    I'm sure many will enjoy it, particularly some who didn't see the shows first time round.

But I'll give it a miss.

Yeah, I agree. Cleese was my first comedy hero from the days I used to go to see I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again recorded. I want to keep those memories fresh and unsullied.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look good does it.
    Material has dated badly.
    Should have left it alone,
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Like all rapid fire sketch shows people fondly remember the few stand out bits and forget the rest of the mediocre stuff which in no way bears a repeat viewing ... even or especially 40 odd years later.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed the interviews and glimpses into their current work and the rehearsals & staging prep for the O2 - looks like a of of work expended.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film is an HD record of their dated TV sketches, so they aren't suddenly going to become relevant again.

It's the two films that followed that work well all these years later, the last film "Meaning of Life" was back to sketches and is not great.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Now For Something Completely Different was made to get them exposure in the USA because the very conservative networks would not risk showing the original TV shows. It was not intended as an HD record of them.

As for The Meaning of Life, it's not as good as Life of Brian but it's still very funny.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does john cleese really owe 32million in allimony ??
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Yentob would realise he's not the hilarious little man he thinks he is. He's long adopted Bragg's Disease (the compulsion to include endless pointless reaction shots of his grinning face) but now he seems to think he's funny, too. He was awful in that Lynn Barber profile he did a while ago, and here is doing jokey voiceovers and acting like he's one of the gang.
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the programme called imagine Monty Python had remind series ( series link ) on the channel 141 bbc one hd channel on sky because I did not add it as a reminder on Sunday 29
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no series link option when i put it on my Sky planner on Sunday,