Has iOS gaming lost it's hype?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody think there's now a lack of decent releases? When the App Store launched there was new games every week but in recent years some games have been delayed like Real Racing 3 and have been a let down. Need for Speed axed The run game for IOS.

There's very few racing games and many of them still only support the old 3.5" screen. Also very few take full advantage of the new ipad 4 performance.

I think this talk of a new apple game controller may be a good thing. Not that I'm keen to use it but it might kick start the app gaming market again.

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Apple game controller is a knee jerk reaction to NVidia shield.

iOS was fantastic when it came out as a gaming platform, which happened to pretty much destroy Sony PSP. But now all the big iOS games also come out on Android as well. Its just not as unique as it once was.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iOS / mobile gaming was talked up by the the media as having the potential to eclipse traditional gaming platforms, but speaking as a gamer I was never that impressed, Angry Birds aside.

It's an ok way to pass the time when you're bored, but I'd rather have a proper handheld or home console any day.

The only way tha alleged controller would be any use to me, would be when the iPad was plugged into the TV. But I've already got a clutch of consoles which outclass an iPad for games, so what's the point?

For some people, a controller / iPad combo might make for an interesting portable set-up as long you've got a surface to put it on. (Rules out bus, taxi, tube etc)
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't t think a comparison between apps and consoles is fair. Yes i'm sure Luigis Mansion 2 on 3DS does blow any app out the water but you're paying £30-35 for it, compared to an apps free-£1.49, typical pricepoint. To me, It's like criticising a 59p can of Irn-Bru for not being the quality of a £30 bottle of Moet.

There are great titles out 'The Room, New Star Soccer, Super Hexagon, Ticket To Ride,The Battle Of The Bulge, GTA Vice City etc.'

The problem is 95% of apps are crap or cynical exercises in trying to coax more money out of you, and I get the feeling the main question being asked by some mobile devs is 'how can we maximize revenue' rather than 'how can we make a great game. More and more third rate developers are looking at it as a 'get rich quick' system rather than an exciting young one.

Sadly a lot of great apps get drowned out in the sea of rubbish.

I think one problem is that Apple feature 3 charts on their app store homepage. Current Paid app chart, current free app chart, and 'top grossing'. I think they should get rid of the latter and replace it with a top rated chart, where the top rated games of the moment are prominently displayed. That would feature apps prominently based on their review scores, not commercial prowess this giving incentive to make a great game.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My feeling is that the Apple game controller, if it exists, is primarily to give a purpose to the mostly useless Apple TV device.