Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Anyone know why Stephen Merchant isn't involved with Derek?

He's off making films. Plus Derek is nothing to do with him, they just happen not to be working together on this one.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Anyone know why Stephen Merchant isn't involved with Derek?

Maybe due to the stand-up tour he's being doing.

He's also got his own sitcom on HBO starting soon so Gervais may have to do without him for a while.
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    He's off making films.

Forgot about those, busy boy isn't he?
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    'Revival' as in repeat, or a new series?

A one-off sketch for comic relief. Its on DS.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because its fictional.

That makes no sense. All fiction has to be based on some truth within the world it's set and it appears Derek is set in the real world.

Derek is also inspired by the care homes that RG's family work in. From what's been presented on screen I'm starting to wonder if he did any research beyond asking them if they get selfish relatives visiting.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I don't understand those of you who carry on watching when you dislike it.

It's called Hate Watching.
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the haters still haven't answered the question. Why, if you hate it so much, do you continue to watch?

If you hate Gervais and think Derek is crap, why in the name of God do you carry on watching?

I hate prawns. So I don't eat them. I can't stand jazz. So I don't listen to it. I'm not a Bond fan, so that's one dvd I won't be getting.

Is it because you need to know what's happening in the episodes so you can come up with withering criticism to post on here?

Like internet trolls, do you thrive on controversy and inflammatory comments?

It's a genuine question cos I'm really puzzled by it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    It's called Hate Watching.

Interesting!

And I agree with one of the comments on there that if you keep watching then it must be because you get some enjoyment out of it. Otherwise you would stop.
    Forum Member
    cuza wrote: »
    But the haters still haven't answered the question. Why, if you hate it so much, do you continue to watch?

If you hate Gervais and think Derek is crap, why in the name of God do you carry on watching?

I'll read a bad book until the end as well, I'm a bit OCD about finishing things when I've started them.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Loved Dougie's facial expressions last night, but I did think it was the poorest episode so far.

As much as I enjoy it, I can't really see it going anywhere, so I would be happy with a one season thing, but I understand they have commisioned a second series.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny - some of us thought it was the best episode so far, others thought it was the worst
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A one-off sketch for comic relief. Its on DS.

Thanks for that. I have DS Forums set as a favourite; I'm afraid I don't look at any of the other pages.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I literally had tears of laughter at the Duran Duran section at the end, funniest TV for me for a long time
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The series is reflecting the lectures or stand up by Gervais. He likes to dismantle stereotypical thinking and demonstrate that even the character Derek is a better judge than most ordinary people.

It wasn't the best episode and you feel there is an obvious progression of the tale being told with a predictable outcome or finale. It's ok but don't think the comedy angle was to the fore when creating and writing the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying Derek - it's subtle, heart-warming and features real characters. I like Gervais anyway - but I forget that he's in it most of the time, he does a really good job.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    I literally had tears of laughter at the Duran Duran section at the end, funniest TV for me for a long time
    "but Nick Rhodes was one of the most beautiful men ever" camera scans to old boy in a blond wig :D
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 'Making of Derek' programme Karl said he had only ever cried at two films, Kes being one, what was the other one?
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    In the 'Making of Derek' programme Karl said he had only ever cried at two films, Kes being one, what was the other one?

The Elephant Man.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The Elephant Man.

Thank you,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    cuza wrote: »

I hate prawns. So I don't eat them. I can't stand jazz. So I don't listen to it. I'm not a Bond fan, so that's one dvd I won't be getting.

Is it because you need to know what's happening in the episodes so you can come up with withering criticism to post on here?

Like internet trolls, do you thrive on controversy and inflammatory comments?

It's a genuine question cos I'm really puzzled by it.

It is possible to have mixed views on something you know. This is a discussion forum, not a fan page. There's a lot of things I don't like about Derek, but some of it's good, and I continue watching because of this plus I'm a big RG fan.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series is Rickys Straight Story from David Lynch. Just like that film people were looking for an angle. But there wasn't just like Derek. I think Derek can
    be seen in a biblical sense. Derek is a Jesus figure. Pure, innocent and full of love.
  • super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    That makes no sense. All fiction has to be based on some truth within the world it's set and it appears Derek is set in the real world.

Derek is also inspired by the care homes that RG's family work in. From what's been presented on screen I'm starting to wonder if he did any research beyond asking them if they get selfish relatives visiting.

Is this post for real? Words fail me!
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    This series is Rickys Straight Story from David Lynch. Just like that film people were looking for an angle. But there wasn't just like Derek. I think Derek can
    be seen in a biblical sense. Derek is a Jesus figure. Pure, innocent and full of love.

I can see the headlines now; "Ricky Gervais thinks he's the Messiah" :D
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I can see the headlines now; "Ricky Gervais thinks he's the Messiah" :D
    He has been quoted in the press comparing Derek to Jesus.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/feb/02/ricky-gervais-interview-derek-comedy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fred5444 wrote: »
    It is possible to have mixed views on something you know. This is a discussion forum, not a fan page. There's a lot of things I don't like about Derek, but some of it's good, and I continue watching because of this plus I'm a big RG fan.

Ah yes, but there are a couple on here (you know who you are!) who seem to hate Ricky and the show unconditionally.

Not what I would call mixed feelings.

I have them myself. I really like the show and everyone in it except for the ghastly Kev. He spoils it for me and I don't know why he's there.