Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Comments

• intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine (very) recently worked with Angelina Jolie. He said she was an absolute delight - very quick and smart and funny - and patient with the technical side of the filming.

My friend is used to working with famous folks and said he was really impressed by her - one of the nicest big stars he's ever worked with.

I feel a bit bad for any bad things I may have said/thought about her now. Not that I'm one of those really bitchy women who hates her on sight, but I she's always annoyed me a bit if I'm totally honest with myself. :o

Why do you feel bad? Just because she was nice to him doesn't mean she'd be nice to you. Ages ago I was at an indie club in London and Kelly Osbourne was there. She was friendly enough and chatted to me. When I relayed this to my friend she was dumbfounded because when she'd seen her, she was absolutely vile to her and screamed all sorts of obscenities. It wasn't until we went to another club together and saw her yet again that it became apparent that whilst she chatted to guys and was fine with them, I didn't see her speak to a girl once or acknowledge any that interacted with her (apart from the girlfriends in her group already.)

I suppose what I'm saying is you don't have to change your opinion on someone through the experience of someone else. There's been people I hate on instinct after a first meeting and ignore them and then when I find myself talking to them discover that I actually really like them. Vice versa too. :)
  • 0100110101001101 Posts: 124
    Forum Member

My boss is an ex policeman who chaperoned the Spice Girls a couple of times back in their heyday. H said he'd always liked Mel B best but actually she was quite stand offish and rude, but Mel C was lovely.

It's nice to hear that about Mel C. She has always been my favourite Spice Girl and seems such a nice lady. I think she's the prettiest one too, but my likes and dislikes tend not to follow convention!

Incidentally, her half-brother Paul O'Neill (BTCC racing driver) seems a really good bloke too.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    A certain Olympic gymnast....seriously
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    My uncle and cousin used to see Rowan Atkinson from time to time at classic/vintage car events. Their impression of him was that he was rather shy and introverted, but generally OK. I suspect that's probably the case, rather than being snobby and disliking talking to 'little people'.

I'd agree with that. He's a friend of a friend, and that's the impression I got on the couple of occasions I met him. He was decent enough to include me when he took a crowd of his friends to the British Grand Prix, even though I'd only exchanged about half a dozen words with him.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A certain Olympic gymnast....seriously

Strictly come... On and tell us more!! ;)
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    There are lots of threads like these on discussion forums around the internet, and Dennis Waterman's name comes up as often as Cilla Black's.

Now, y'see, when I met him, years ago, he was absolutely lovely. Kept us chatting for ages (he was signing autographs in a TV shop) - much to the irritation of those still waiting. :)

Then when we returned past the shop to go home, he waved us back in and chatted to us again like old friends.

And this was after my friend had ordered him to 'turn around, you fool!' after she had got her camera out to take a photo (and he did - I think he'd heard her).

I think what everyone seems to forget is that celebrities/actors/singers/authors etc are human beings just like us and they can have their good days and bad days - and they can take a dislike to people instantly just as we do. We're all the same under the skin. No-one's perfect and it is only our expectations that people in the public eye because of their profession should be that mean we're disappointed when they act like regular people - for good or ill.

I take everyone with a pinch of salt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine once served Dwight Yorke and when she asked him for ID (which was necessary during this transaction) he looked at her & rudely said, 'Are you serious?' He didn't say 'don't you know who I am' but he might as well have done.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine once served Dwight Yorke and when she asked him for ID (which was necessary during this transaction) he looked at her & rudely said, 'Are you serious?' He didn't say 'don't you know who I am' but he might as well have done.

I'd have looked at him in total seriousness and said 'yes' :)

He's so famous I've heard of him but couldn't tell you what he looked like, so that would burst his bubble, wouldn't it?!
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think what everyone seems to forget is that celebrities/actors/singers/authors etc are human beings just like us and they can have their good days and bad days - and they can take a dislike to people instantly just as we do. We're all the same under the skin. No-one's perfect and it is only our expectations that people in the public eye because of their profession should be that mean we're disappointed when they act like regular people - for good or ill.

I take everyone with a pinch of salt.

How very dare you come in here and talk sense! :p:D
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    BIB Mark Billingham is my favorite author. I've met him a couple of times and he's always been pleasant and friendly. Maybe he's just grown up since then.

I would vouch for this too. I have only come across him as an author but have met him several times over the last years. He is extremely approachable on public occasions and generous with help and advice to other aspiring writers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    QUOTE=Ellef;63321968]I've never met Rowan Atkinson, but what you say fits with my experience of being in the front row for a performance of The Sneeze many years ago. It was a serious of semi-serious Chekov pieces that he did as a vehicle shortly after hitting the big time. There was a speech during one of the scenes about how mediocre a particular character was and how much he despised her, and I swear he delivered that speech to me in the front row, never breaking eye contact. The character he was ostensibly addressing was nowhere near his line of sight. It was horrible and I've never been able to stand him since, I don't care how much comic talent he has.

Edit: Anyway, the other actors (including Timothy West) wiped the floor with him in dramatic terms, so up yours Mr. Bean.[/QUOTE]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    i dont like that Will Young because i just dont........so there!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I'd have looked at him in total seriousness and said 'yes' :)

He's so famous I've heard of him but couldn't tell you what he looked like, so that would burst his bubble, wouldn't it?!

Besides football, the other thing he's famous for is being father to Harvey, Jordan's disabled kid, isnt he?
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have limited experience myself with celebs. once walked past des lynam near charing cross station at the height of his fame and looked like a right moody git.

slapped garry kasparov (former world chess champion, famous in russia) on the back at a function, trying to be nice, he acted as if I wasn't there. nasty piece of work.

my mate has met pixie lott and harry redknapp and says they are lovely, really down to earth.

apparently the royals are stuck up though, what a surprise. my dad said prince charles turned up in a rolls once to a school he worked at in deptford. but his son, apparently, i've heard from several sources is a thoroughly unpleasant chap. will turn up to bars and demand they clear an area for him and his friends- all the hoi polloi can leave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    My uncle and cousin used to see Rowan Atkinson from time to time at classic/vintage car events. Their impression of him was that he was rather shy and introverted, but generally OK. I suspect that's probably the case, rather than being snobby and disliking talking to 'little people'.

My brother has done work for Rowan Atkinson many times, and your cousin and Uncle are spot on, he is incredibly shy and quiet, just gives these guys a knowing nod and doesn't talk much to anyone.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have limited experience myself with celebs. once walked past des lynam near charing cross station at the height of his fame and looked like a right moody git.

slapped garry kasparov (former world chess champion, famous in russia) on the back at a function, trying to be nice, he acted as if I wasn't there. nasty piece of work.

my mate has met pixie lott and harry redknapp and says they are lovely, really down to earth.

apparently the royals are stuck up though, what a surprise. my dad said prince charles turned up in a rolls once to a school he worked at in deptford. but his son, apparently, i've heard from several sources is a thoroughly unpleasant chap. will turn up to bars and demand they clear an area for him and his friends- all the hoi polloi can leave.
    Yes.I can vouch for Harry. I met him in Waitrose in Ringwood some years ago and he was very friendly. Ditto Paul Fox (who used to be in Coronation Street and The Royal) . Saw him at Euston station and he said hello and we ranted about train delays !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Back in the 80's I worked at a military airield and Gary Numan was using the airfield for shooting a video, his pilot was flying a T6 Harvard and was flying too low and the Chief Traffic Controller got a bit uppity and demanded that he land immediately and he and Numan were summoned to the control tower.

My mates and I (Aprentices) were there waiting at the back of our workshop when his Jag turned up with the pilot.

All I did was to shout (ok screech) Ohhh Gaaarrrryyyyy and he turned around and gave me the W ****** sign and the pilot flipped me the bird....... oooh how very dare you I thought, but I was bought some beers that night.

Never saw the video
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A musician friend was involved in Lulu's tour a few years ago and reported that she was an absolute cow to everyone backstage. Dunno how she is with the public though

Seeing how she treated her pro partner on Strictly Come Dancing I'm not even remotely surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.

I have never understood the appeal of 'Babs'. Quite apart from the physical appeal - no tits, very plain, she is also a woman who has had multiple abortions - sorry, I can't respect someone who has done that. (I'm not getting into the whole abortion debate and I wouldn't condone anyone who has had one but to have 5)...:(:(:(

She is also a one trick pony who cannot act and has never shown any depth in any of her performances.

hubbie would argee with the later statement a few years ago we watched "Cor Blimey" a fictionalised account of her affair with Sid James and the constrast between the talent of her playing her older self talking to Kenneth Williams and the young actress (sorry I can't remember her name) who played her younger self was striking. The younger actress won by a landslide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article about her many years ago and she said she'd only regretted the last abortion. At that point, I really went off her.

I'm not condoning numerous abortions but if she's that horrible though perhaps it's better than she didn't eff up five children's lives.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    hubbie would argee with the later statement a few years ago we watched "Cor Blimey" a fictionalised account of her affair with Sid James and the constrast between the talent of her playing her older self talking to Kenneth Williams and the young actress (sorry I can't remember her name) who played her younger self was striking. The younger actress won by a landslide.

I think her name was Samantha Spiro?

Yeah, I'm no fan of Babs, although I do love the 'Carry On' films.

In her personal life, she's certainly trodden the dark side.
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago when I was working in the food hall at M&S I served Chris Eagles, who was playing for Man United then, but is now playing for Bolton, and he was a complete prat.

Came with his mum and girlfriend, and all the time kept making scarcy stupid comments, and telling me about his place in Manchester and that can he get a discount as he is spending so much, now I didn't have a clue who he was, so I assumed he was a student, so said no sorry we don't give student discount :D he didn't look to pleased I didn't know who he was.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I think her name was Samantha Spiro?

Yeah, I'm no fan of Babs, although I do love the 'Carry On' films.

In her personal life, she's certainly trodden the dark side.

I saw her at Edinburgh Airport about 15 years ago, barking at her toyboy hubby like a little chihuahua. He looked quite nice, God knows what he sees in her.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I saw her at Edinburgh Airport about 15 years ago, barking at her toyboy hubby like a little chihuahua. He looked quite nice, God knows what he sees in her.
    Perhaps he has the image of a cheeky young Babs trying to hold her top on, permanently emblazoned on his mind! I know I have! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RachVG wrote: »
    Agree with those who've said David Tennant is a lovely guy, as are Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, and Billie Piper. I've seen two sides to Barrowman though, sometimes nice, sometimes not.

Jessalyn Gilsig and Dianna Agron from Glee, lovely people. Lea Michele, Cory Monteith & Matthew Morrison... wouldn't go so far as to say they weren't nice, but they were more interested in talking to each other than people they were there to meet.

Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev from the Vampire Diaries were also lovely... Paul Wesley was a bit more distant. Steven R McQueen and Matt Davis were super nice too.

The whole cast of White Collar are also super nice - Tiffani Theissen wasn't there when I met them, but Matt Bomer shook my hand, smiled, introduced himself and I almost fainted at his hotness. Marsha Thomason was really nice too, as was Sharif Atkins, both very chatty. Had less interaction with Tim DeKay and Willie Garson but they were both lovely too.

People I've found to be quite hard work and sometimes arsey - J August Richards, Christian Kane, Santiago Cabrera, Ray Quinn, Dave Gorman. Jodi Lynn O'Keefe from Prison Break - absolute cow. Dominic Keating is a total **** too. Elisabeth Rohm from Law & Order was a total bitch, too. Robert Knepper was a bit of a creep.

I've met lots of lovely people, the following stick out as extra lovely though - Nathan Fillion, Summer Glau, Amy Acker, Alyson Hannigan & Alexis Denisof, Danny Wallace, Felicia Day. Jorge Garcia & Maggie Grace. Joss Whedon. Christina Hendricks & Vincent Kartheiser (though Vinnie is a nutter, he's a lovely nutter). George Takei. Michael Muhney. Tony Head is lovely, as is Colin Ferguson from Eureka. My favourite people I've ever met, though, are Richard Kahan and Jonathan Woodward, who I'm sure won't mean anything to most people but they're way, way up there! Jenna Leigh Green (Libby from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) was also really nice. Brian Austin Green, WAY more lovely and down to earth than I expected considering he's married to Megan Fox.

I keep thinking of more! Russell Tovey is really nice.. I'm just glad I have more good stories than bad ones.

I've heard of Jonathan Woodward - if I'm right he was in the last series of Buffy and Angel - and appeared in a episode of Firefly - all of his characters died and he remarked on that Joss ought not to kill off his characters as the series they appeared in stopped after he did it.

A friend of mine works for the Haymarket Theatre and he said Alyson Hannigan and Luke Perry were the nicest actors he'd ever encountered. Anna Friel was the worst.