The Accused

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Just seen that this is on after Source Code on Channel 4 tonight. I've heard a bit about the film so I'm going to take a look. Has anyone seen it?

Comments

• jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very famous film and one of Jodie Fosters best movies. Give it a watch. Very intense and disturbing at times though.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I've just about it on wikipedia - definately going to watch it.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Terrifying movie.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I've seen it a few time. It is very powerful...really drives home the kind of misogyny, albeit this is quite an intense example, that is often faced by women, from active aggressors, to men drinking in bars, to the judiciary...

It is based on a true story. Although the incident itself happened years ago, we can see from the recent Steubenville rape case, that not much has changed for women. :mad:

I think the woman portrayed by Foster died in a car crash not long after as well, poor soul.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's a good film with one or two disturbing scenes. Jodie Foster is excellent. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Just spotted this and set it to record to watch tomorrow.

It's a great film, not to be missed. Incredibly intense and moving and Foster's performance is fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely unbelievable scenario, but, given its internal logic, gripping.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »

Why is it unbelievable - it's always struck me as being very plausible
    Forum Member

The film is based on the real ordeal of Cheryl Araujo, who was gang-raped by several men in an American bar while other customers encouraged them and didn't intervene to stop what was happening. She later struggled to have the men who committed and witnessed the rape prosecuted after being denigrated by the Defence and certain areas of the community and falling victim to a severe case of victim blaming.

I find the scenario depressingly believable.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It actually happened...as did a gang rape, men cheering on and laughing at a young woman being raped, and victim blaming, in the town of Steubenville in the States just last year.

Unfortunately, there is nothing unbelievable about a bit of male bonding over misogyny. :(
  • Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    The film is based on the real ordeal of Cheryl Araujo, who was gang-raped by several men in an American bar while other customers encouraged them and didn't intervene to stop what was happening. She later struggled to have the men who committed and witnessed the rape prosecuted after being denigrated by the Defence and certain areas of the community and falling victim to a severe case of victim blaming.

I find the scenario depressingly believable.

And even more depressing Cheryl died in a car accident only 3 years later at the age of 25.
    Forum Member
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    And even more depressing Cheryl died in a car accident only 3 years later at the age of 25.

I know, left behind a couple of young kids too, sadly. And the highest sentence any of the men served (the ones who were actually convicted, that is) was six and a half years. Very sad story all around. I just hope the poor woman found some peace and enjoyment in life during the short time between the end of the trial and her death.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this film a little while ago and I found it rather good. Jodie Foster was fantastic in the role and you really have to appreciate what a fine actress throughout her career she really has been. Perhaps one of the few actresses who was worthy of both her oscars
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always enjoyed watching Jodie Foster act. This is a fine film, although a disturbing one. She makes the part believable, so does the actor who plays her lawyer, Kelly McGillis who does not act these days which is a shame.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great film and one that rightfully gave Jodie Foster her first Oscar win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it unbelievable - it's always struck me as being very plausible
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    I have always enjoyed watching Jodie Foster act. This is a fine film, although a disturbing one. She makes the part believable, so does the actor who plays her lawyer, Kelly McGillis who does not act these days which is a shame.

^ ^ ^ This.

Absolutely riveting film, not sure it could be called "entertaining" but oh so believable as it was, as others have said, based on a true story. Jodie Foster gives the performance of her career and totally deserved her Oscar.

Thanks for posting OP. I haven't watched it in years I'm going to refresh my knowledge of it tonight.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    She makes the part believable, so does the actor who plays her lawyer, Kelly McGillis who does not act these days which is a shame.

Strange comment to make.

Kelly McGillis was in Stakeland in 2010, has made a further four movies since including one in 2012, and has also appeared in TV programmes and on stage.

She was never a very prolific actress - at the height of her career she was only making two or possibly three movies per year. As she has made four in the last three years, this is not really any less than in her heyday.

Or do you mean that she is no longer a highly paid A list actress like she was in Witness and Top Gun (and The Accused)? Well, the same can be said for many actresses in their mid fifties. Doesn't mean that they no longer act.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the worst rape scene I've seen other than Irreversible.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay up so late but I watched it all. It was very good - such awful scenes but very well made for the film. Jodie was amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha. I realised it had already been shown, but hunted out my DVD and, once again, was blown away by Jodie Foster's performance. A tour de force.