Windows 8 / 8.1 surly things could be easier?

unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I downloaded 8.1 because I saw it on DreamSpark and it was free so I said what the hell.

I don't have a touch laptop which may of been the issue but firstly it's almost like 2 separate operating systems and the two don't get on, In IE for example the saved logins, autofills etc do not transfer between the two interfaces

Today I was doing an assignment, the assignment itself was in a PDF, the plan was have the PDF in 1 tab in IE in desktop mode, I was using Office web apps in another tab, but of course things did not work out like that, the PDF opened in the metro interface, I gave up trying to work out how to open it in desktop mode but trying to switch between the two was a damn nightmare, so much so I have downloaded Windows 7 again ready to reinstall.

Is it just me I admit I am totally new to W8 but are things always this damn awkward, as I said at the start its like have 2 operating systems and although you can get into desktop mode metro always takes preference.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel your pain.

I've had a Windows 8 tablet for a few weeks now, I sometimes I still feel like throwing it across the room. Simple things like editing text are tricky. Also some things are just missing: you can't even search in the Windows Store; you have to do a search using Bing/IE and let that link to the store. I also still can't work out how to change the brightness without going to the desktop.

I'm hoping W8.1 will improve a few things, and I'm waiting for the release on the 22nd.

I don't hate Windows 8, but I'm amazed Microsoft didn't get more things fixed before release.
  • cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8 is faster than windows 7 so it's worth sticking with it.

You need to get your file associations sorted in control panel so they open the desktop versions (e.g. pdf file would open adobe reader not metro reader).
  • unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

I've had a Windows 8 tablet for a few weeks now, I sometimes I still feel like throwing it across the room. Simple things like editing text are tricky. Also some things are just missing: you can't even search in the Windows Store; you have to do a search using Bing/IE and let that link to the store. I also still can't work out how to change the brightness without going to the desktop.

I'm hoping W8.1 will improve a few things, and I'm waiting for the release on the 22nd.

I don't hate Windows 8, but I'm amazed Microsoft didn't get more things fixed before release.

It was Windows 8.1 I downloaded from DreamSpark, I appreciate there is a bit of a learning curve but this is just painfull
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 is faster than windows 7 so it's worth sticking with it.

You need to get your file associations sorted in control panel so they open the desktop versions (e.g. pdf file would open adobe reader not metro reader).

I do notice it faster in desktop yes, but metro I found it taking sluggish moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unklesam wrote: »
    It was Windows 8.1 I downloaded from DreamSpark, I appreciate there is a bit of a learning curve but this is just painfull

You do know the Preview expires in January 2014 don't you? Or have you got the full version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do notice it faster in desktop yes, but metro I found it taking sluggish moments.

You can customize it so that you never have to go to the metro screen, if that's what you want.

I use classic shell for a menu and did have modernmix until the trial expired. I haven't got round to paying for it yet, I don't see why I should shell out a fiver!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know the Preview expires in January 2014 don't you? Or have you got the full version?

Full version I believe http://i41.tinypic.com/157yngx.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can customize it so that you never have to go to the metro screen, if that's what you want.

I use classic shell for a menu and did have modernmix until the trial expired. I haven't got round to paying for it yet, I don't see why I should shell out a fiver!

Really? Yes I'd like to do away with metro all together but then I wonder whats the difference between it and W7? Turn of Aero in W7 and it would also be faster so whats the difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Yes I'd like to do away with metro all together but then I wonder whats the difference between it and W7? Turn of Aero in W7 and it would also be faster so whats the difference?

I'm not an expert, all I know is that my Windows 8 PC is much faster and lighter than my OH's Windows 7 laptop. See the post in this thread about removal of code
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1894498
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded 8.1 because I saw it on DreamSpark and it was free so I said what the hell.

I don't have a touch laptop which may of been the issue but firstly it's almost like 2 separate operating systems and the two don't get on, In IE for example the saved logins, autofills etc do not transfer between the two interfaces

Today I was doing an assignment, the assignment itself was in a PDF, the plan was have the PDF in 1 tab in IE in desktop mode, I was using Office web apps in another tab, but of course things did not work out like that, the PDF opened in the metro interface, I gave up trying to work out how to open it in desktop mode but trying to switch between the two was a damn nightmare, so much so I have downloaded Windows 7 again ready to reinstall.

Is it just me I admit I am totally new to W8 but are things always this damn awkward, as I said at the start its like have 2 operating systems and although you can get into desktop mode metro always takes preference.

8.1 has 50/50 snap for apps (just like aero snap) so you could have snapped the pdf on one side and metro IE on the other side and worked just fine without using the desktop at all. You can also snap two instances of metro IE next to each other. You could also snap the desktop on one side and a metro app on the other side.

If you have a non-touch laptop however I would probably just do the configuration to live in the desktop. Enable boot-to-desktop and change your file associations as cat whiskas mentioned to use desktop applications like adobe reader, windows media player etc rather than the metro versions.

With a bit of config and a bit of learning, you could get through these hurdles. 8.1 is much more about boosting the capabilities of the metro side to make it more applicable as a desktop replacement. There are a few goodies for desktop users however like the start button with added options like shutdown if you right click it plus boot-to-desktop.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel your pain.

I'm guessing you're still using windows 8 right now?
    You need to get more familiar with the charms bar.

Swipe in from the the right to activate the charms bar.
    If you click on the settings charm you will see a box of 6 key settings at the bottom of the pane: Wifi, volume, brightness, notifications, power and keyboard.

For searching in the store: open the store app, swipe in from right to activate charms bar, click on search charm, type in your search entry and hit enter.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I feel your pain.

Release date is the 17th (Midday) as windows update and 18th for new release/retail..... so even less time to wait...:D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft have a free downloadable manual for Metro (which for some reason they call an "End User Training Brochure"). It was written for 8.0, so there might be some differences in 8.1.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39055

Many people find Win8 as it comes is too painful to use - too difficult to learn, and too awkward to do anything with. However, there are various utilities created by other companies which fix the worst problems, typically including options to boot to desktop, disable charms, and restore the Start button and its menu. There's a list of these utilities on Wikipedia. Some are free, some require a small payment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metro pdf viewer is preinstalled. You install desktop version, set it as a default viewer, use desktop browser and it should all work as expected.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 with classic shell is easily better than windows 7 from my experience
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Many people find Win8 as it comes is too painful to use - too difficult to learn, and too awkward to do anything with.

Actually, it's quite the opposite for lots of people... Metro apps are too basic and designed for simpletons (IMO). I do use W8 and use a few games downloaded from the store, but I wouldn't touch any of the pre-installed apps with a bargepole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, it's quite the opposite for lots of people... Metro apps are too basic and designed for simpletons (IMO). I do use W8 and use a few games downloaded from the store, but I wouldn't touch any of the pre-installed apps with a bargepole.
    I agree. The Metro apps, like Metro itself, are still at the stage of internal pre-beta lashups.

The pain is that the Metro garbage keeps getting in the way, such as the problem the previous poster had with the Metro app version of PDF reader taking precedence over the desktop EXE version - and of course the wretched charms popping up spuriously all the time.

Also, Metro hasn't yet had its visual clues added to help people to know what to click.

Hence the need to kill Metro as much as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. The Metro apps, like Metro itself, are still at the stage of internal pre-beta lashups.

The pain is that the Metro garbage keeps getting in the way, such as the problem the previous poster had with the Metro app version of PDF reader taking precedence over the desktop EXE version - and of course the wretched charms popping up spuriously all the time.

Also, Metro hasn't yet had its visual clues added to help people to know what to click.

Hence the need to kill Metro as much as possible.
    Lashup, pain, garbage, wretched, kill Metro...

Don't you think your emotional response is a bit extreme for what is merely an operating system?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lashup, pain, garbage, wretched, kill Metro...

Don't you think your emotional response is a bit extreme for what is merely an operating system?
    When you're trying get work done, Microsoft's blunders can be pretty frustrating...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you're trying get work done, Microsoft's blunders can be pretty frustrating...

I agree, see the second post in this thread.

However, the recent trend to turn discussions about Windows 8 into an emotional rant is ridiculous. Talk about 'first world problems'...
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it tomorrow we get version 8.1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Apparently, yes.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Midday as a windows update...:D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I thought it's on Monday 21st :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seems to be some confusion over whether it will be available from the Microsoft Store or the Metro app store. I haven't seen any other reference to it being available via Windows Update.