Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie: About your rant... First off thank you for realizing that not all Americans are like that and feel much the same way you do. It gets so depressing to read the nasty presumptious assumptions that others have about America and Americans on message boards like the ones at the Daily Mail.

One thing that most do not understand is it depends on the laws of the individual states as to whether or not lawsuits like that can occur. For example here in Texas they passed tort reform about a decade ago and alot of those frivilous lawsuits that people press for malpractice, accidents and the like have disappeared along with the 'ambulance chasing' lawyers that file them. A lawsuit like the one they filed in Connecticut would almost certainly not occur here unless the plaintiffs were willing to lose millions of dollars paying all the court costs for themselves, the defendant and the state if they did not win. If they did win there is a limit on how much can be awarded and usually the financial gain that they might obtain is not worth it compared to the cost of pressing a lawsuit.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    It's interesting because I always thought it would have been more intimate for DM with his eyes closed. There are a lot of articles about intimacy and eyes closed while kissing re actors etc.

But then I read this...about Downton Abbey (which I don't watch so don't know what they're talking about except as it relates to this hug..)

V\http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/downton-abbey-premiere-recap-your-kiss-is-on-my-list-20130106

"Matthew, clean and crisp and sparkle-eyed in his jacket and tie, repressing a smile because the emotional truth of his love for her is so undeniable. "I would never be happy with anyone else as long as you walked the earth," he tells her, expressing the essence of love as clearly as I've ever heard it done (although Daniel Clowes came very close).

Symbiotic to the last, Matthew's confident reserve breaks down right at the same time Mary's builds back up: "Can I kiss you?" he asks, tilting his head and eyes upward in lovestruck desperation. "'Cuz I need to. Very much." Mary objects, citing the bad luck of seeing the bride before the wedding; Matthew finds a loophole, suggesting they both keep their eyes closed the whole time; Mary, back in charge, relents with a tilt of her head and the funniest reluctant-romance sigh of "all right" since GoodFellas' R-rated variation on the theme.

With the atmosphere of intimacy – the lighting, the characters' posture, their vulnerable and desperate and sugar-sweet dialogue, Michelle Dockery's pillow-soft voice – already so tangible you feel like you could reach out and stroke its hair, the run-up to the kiss itself enriches it even further. We watch from behind Mary's turned back, waiting for Matthew to emerge from around the door, a big open space on the right side of the frame calling attention to where we know he'll pop out any second, like a romantic remix of a slasher-movie attack. With their eyes closed their approach is even slower than normal, slowing time to a standstill and heightening all the remaining senses.

Finally, the strings swell, Mary tentatively finds Matthew's smiling face with her fingers, and they kiss. *Swoooooooon.* I melted, I'm telling you, melted. I felt like society tells us that girls feel about these things. I understood why Lady Mary disobeyed her own command not to cheat and opened her eyes, so that she could record and preserve the moment in her mind – so that she could verify that it was actually happening. It was the most romantic kiss I've ever seen on screen. I never wanted it to end."

Do you think this could be true for DM? To preserve the moment? Very interested in your insightful opinions.

I can't believe that a Rolling Stone writer gushed like this. But oh well -- that's the way we feel about DM I guess.

Anyway, what i always try to ask myself is, what did the director/actors want us to take away from this scene? what point are they trying to get across? In this case, perhaps it's that it's more difficult to "read" someones' emotion when their eyes are closed, and they want us to see DM's reaction.

Trouble is, I don't really know how to code his reaction -- overwhelming relief is my first take. Some have said that he teared up, but I can't see that myself. But it seems right.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie: I always felt that he opened his eyes just to make sure what was happening was real and not a figment of the imagination. I would assume it is something he had dreamt about (think dream sequence in 'Haemophobia') many times in one form or another.

Good thinking Adelie. That might just be it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to think of it that way next time I watch it because I know it can't be a bit of bad writing so it must have been meant. :)

cc.cookie, I agree with Shop Girl that the "needs a door" conversation is intended to be awkward, inane, a little silly. I think she's right that it's because this is the first time they've encountered each other since the break-up. They're both uncomfortable, but neither can escape as they're forced to cool their heels as they wait for the fishermen to find something to carry Holly on. They're unable to stand there in excruciating silence, so they fill the void with nonsense.

And then when the fishermen actually show up with a door, well, what can I say? It's a Doc Martin moment.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

8. The hug at the end. While I love this scene, I have always wondered about the choice (directing or editing?) of having Martin open his eyes before the shot fades. I love that he closed his eyes when she jumped into his arms because it showed the depth of his feelings, but I have always puzzled why he opened them again so quickly?

I've thought he opened them because in his dreams he has been hugging LG for a long time, perhaps since their first meeting, and he opened his eyes while doing so to ensure this was reality, was real, was not a dream.

(Okay, reading on, I see Adelie has the same thought I had. Great minds think alike! :D:D )
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wondered about the scene in S3E6 where LG & DM are in Louisa's back yard patio against the wall when she tells him that the first church booking for the wedding she could get was in three weeks and later on in that scene DM's phone rings and he says: "Sorry, Sorry" and she is annoyed that he had to answer the phone--the end of that scene LG breaks out in a big smile--my thinking is that she didn't realize that scene was continuing being filmed, it left me puzzled. :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two small thoughts about S3E5:

The scene where Holly and Louisa sit at the restaurant is so interesting because of the contrast between the polished, sophisticated presentation of Holly, including her recently acquired posh accent, and Louisa. This is a theme that will recur as between Louisa and Edith, where once again the accent is remarked on and Edith is much more stylishly dressed and more sophisticated than Louisa (tho neither Holly nor Edith is a "nice" person). These two women are visitors from Martin's former world, and are as out-of-place as he is, but somewhat better at managing it. But both are so patronizing and condescending!!

Also, there is the scene where DM is peering up underneath "Mr. Pierce's" shirt -- taking a really long time about it, it seems to me -- and he asks about their conjugal relations, who initiates them, and remarks that one person is always keener than the other. Hmmmn. Sounds like a very learned remark, and yet I find it hard to imagine that he has much actual real world knowledge of these matters.

Well,actually, most of our wonderful fan-fiction writers have no trouble imagining that he is very skilled in that arena (and I do appreciate that!) but it's just a little hard to square with the man who has such difficulty in just reaching out for Louisa's hand. :)

BTW, there is one FF story in which, after the first time they have sex, Louisa reflects that it wasn't so great but that he will improve with practice (or something like that). Does anyone remember which one -- I can no longer find it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

8. The hug at the end. While I love this scene, I have always wondered about the choice (directing or editing?) of having Martin open his eyes before the shot fades. I love that he closed his eyes when she jumped into his arms because it showed the depth of his feelings, but I have always puzzled why he opened them again so quickly?

What interesting discussion about this point. I would have opted for his eyes to remain closed. Up til now I sort of saw it as an editing issue. I had a similar thought about the finale of S4. I could have done without the baby howling at the end - would have just preferred it to end with Martin looking amazed and emotional and the baby's little hand going up. Maybe I am preferring the more romantic endings? ;)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick little note. I'm working on locations for S2 and I had taken a screenshot of Julie on the bed upstairs in the police station. You could see the view through the window and I wanted to use that to see if it is the same building as the exterior. Because the view is all the way to Mrs Potter's house on Roscarrock Hill it made me wonder if I was actually in
    Louisa's house - since that is the tallest structure in that area.

I went to the website for her house (Chicago House) and took a look at the bedrooms. Not only does the wallpaper match one of them, but it is the identical bed. As a bonus, the Eastlake style mirror that Louisa uses to practice her speech the first time she goes for the head teacher position is hanging on the wall :D
  • ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    Good idea. :)
    I'll chat to DR and see what we can do. Wordpress isn't very user friendly for that sort of thing but we might be able to set it up.

Well, I don't profess to know anything about setting up websites but, worst case, folks can post their FF plot bunnies here and maybe you or someone could upload them. Still, some may want to submit anonymously and others may not frequent these boards.

Just an idea if it's doable . . . understand it may not be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I've thought he opened them because in his dreams he has been hugging LG for a long time, perhaps since their first meeting, and he opened his eyes while doing so to ensure this was reality, was real, was not a dream.

(Okay, reading on, I see Adelie has the same thought I had. Great minds think alike! :D:D )

Well, it just goes to show that even after 50-60 viewings, there is always something new to see. I had never noticed before that he closed then reopened his eyes. Too focused on the overall emotion of the scene.

In watching it again, I felt that he closed his eyes almost in relief that he had the courage to go for it and his dream had come true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Martin Clunes at his cutest -

I don't claim to have seen all things Martin Clunes but I have rewatched the 1st Doc Martin movie quite a few times and the more I see it the cuter he gets.

The whole story and his character doesn't have much substance but his boy-man quality really comes out for me. He smiles, he enjoys himself, he loves, he hurts, but most of all, that smile.

And everytime I see him put on the sweater and ruffle his hair - I think of all the women who would swoon if DM did that in S6.

So - anyone else have a favorite/cutest MC to share? Actually almost anytime his hair is a bit shaggy....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    So it's at Port Gaverne, or thereabouts, right? I never would have guessed. Good detective work, once again!

The place definitely needs some work, especially some updating, but look at all of those windows overlooking the sea! Maybe if we all pool our money....

Wouldn't that be fun if we all went to Port Isaac at the same time, pooled our money, and rented a house together? :cool:
    And left our husbands home too! Girls week! :D:D:D
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think this could be true for DM? To preserve the moment? Very interested in your insightful opinions.

What I see (after close multiple reviewings): After Louisa jumps into his arms, DM's eyes stay open for a sec and I detect an element of surprise; then they close and I detect an element of relief and relaxation and just love; then they open again and that is where I see Doc's realization of the reality of it, and the surgeon's clarity of mind already almost moving ahead to next steps. (He is so often ahead of Louisa in his logical thinking.)

I also noticed during the picking up of the pieces that after Louisa has picked some up, they meet eyes (instead of missing each other's looks as we so often see), and then Doc offers the towel for her to put her pieces on. And she just accepts the gesture and adds hers to his. It strikes me as a symbolic apology for pushing him away and offers the chance for reengaging with her. Thus my earlier "picking up the pieces" comment. I just dug a little deeper into what I was seeing this time... Am I just getting in too deep?????
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be fun if we all went to Port Isaac at the same time, pooled our money, and rented a house together? :cool:
    And left our husbands home too! Girls week! :D:D:D

I'm in. :D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I see (after close multiple reviewings): After Louisa jumps into his arms, DM's eyes stay open for a sec and I detect an element of surprise; then they close and I detect an element of relief and relaxation and just love; then they open again and that is where I see Doc's realization of the reality of it, and the surgeon's clarity of mind already almost moving ahead to next steps. (He is so often ahead of Louisa in his logical thinking.)

I also noticed during the picking up of the pieces that after Louisa has picked some up, they meet eyes (instead of missing each other's looks as we so often see), and then Doc offers the towel for her to put her pieces on. And she just accepts the gesture and adds hers to his. It strikes me as a symbolic apology for pushing him away and offers the chance for reengaging with her. Thus my earlier "picking up the pieces" comment. I just dug a little deeper into what I was seeing this time... Am I just getting in too deep?????

Not too deep! I like your earlier comment too about picking up the pieces. That is important because he otherwise mightn't have got up the courage to ask her to marry him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    S3 E5 is, by far, my favourite episode. The acting by both MC and CC is fantastic. This episode for me has a bit of everything!! Love the scene when he takes her hand coming from the concert, brilliant acting by both MC and CC and pretty much sums both of them up!! The look on his face was teenager (fantastic - one of the best Ive seen ) as was her initial (before the kiss) response. But IMO this episode gives us one of the funniest lines ever, when hes taking Mrs Poustie's blood pressure, shes talking but hes not listening (maybe a first??)

"horrid shrivelled little things - not like a proper joby"

Classic!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I also tend to think, in the proposal scene, where she says to him "youre a remarkable man" he responds "you know Im not" rather than just "No Im not" !! Which could have very different meanings IMO !!! Very clever writing;):) x
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Martin Clunes at his cutest -

I don't claim to have seen all things Martin Clunes but I have rewatched the 1st Doc Martin movie quite a few times and the more I see it the cuter he gets.

The whole story and his character doesn't have much substance but his boy-man quality really comes out for me. He smiles, he enjoys himself, he loves, he hurts, but most of all, that smile.

And everytime I see him put on the sweater and ruffle his hair - I think of all the women who would swoon if DM did that in S6.

So - anyone else have a favorite/cutest MC to share? Actually almost anytime his hair is a bit shaggy....

Well, I think he's adorable in everything.:o There are too many acting projects to pick from. I've enjoyed almost all of his shows and also love seeing him as 'himself' in interviews. I'm hoping he'll host or even come on as a contestant on HIGNFY again!!:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akh4G8zGNSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iz7yuHmTpc

I put these together just because I thought they're funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx-Wt3VJELQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EnFvSAtehA
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In series 3 episode 6 - when DM is knocking on the door of the sisters' house, there are stairs just beyond him. The word TREASURES is set into the stair case. I think the scene is shot outside of an old shop or something.

Our group from the Washington Doc Martin meetup group may try to go to Port Isaac in May.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An important discussion of two different shows, why they did or didn't kiss, and whether their eyes were open or not.
    S3:E5 The Holly bears a prickle:
    I just watched this episode, and figured out why they didn't kiss after Doc asked Louisa to marry him. Because he threw up while they were working on Holly! :eek: I think he opened his eyes because he was thinking, "I've got to brush my teeth before this goes any further. I do hope that it does!" ;):p:D
    Downton Abbey:
    I watched that scene where Matthew and Mary kissed the night before their wedding. I thought she kept her eyes closed the whole time just like Matthew. :confused:
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Also, there is the scene where DM is peering up underneath "Mr. Pierce's" shirt -- taking a really long time about it, it seems to me -- and he asks about their conjugal relations, who initiates them, and remarks that one person is always keener than the other. Hmmmn. Sounds like a very learned remark, and yet I find it hard to imagine that he has much actual real world knowledge of these matters.

Well,actually, most of our wonderful fan-fiction writers have no trouble imagining that he is very skilled in that arena (and I do appreciate that!) but it's just a little hard to square with the man who has such difficulty in just reaching out for Louisa's hand. :)

I think he dated Edith for quite a long time; we've heard they were dating during "medical school". Well, medical school takes a long time! They could have been lovers for years, and we see from S4, that Edith has a healthy libido. I imagine there is a plausible scenario where they had sex very regularly during those years, and Edith would no doubt have instructed DM how to do this and that to make him more adept. Much of that learned info is no doubt transferable to other women!

Once DM "lets go", as we saw in the late night kitchen table drunk scene, he is all in and pours everything out. When he becomes disinhibited, he doesn't just say "Boy, I really like you Louisa," he is spilling out his entire being, his complete and utter love for her, and if he hadn't passed out one can imagine they would have had sex right then and there on the kitchen table, forgetting the lack of culinary hygiene and assuming the youthful LG did not have osteoporosis. :D

I mean, come on, gals, when he responds in the taxi and kissed LG back, that looked like he knew what he was doing then, holding her face, drawing her to his lips....(is it getting hot in here or is is me....?)

If we add in his years being a lover to Edith, his capacity to give all once the inhibitions are gone, there is a chance DM could be a very good lover. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I think he dated Edith for quite a long time; we've heard they were dating during "medical school". Well, medical school takes a long time! They could have been lovers for years, and we see from S4, that Edith has a healthy libido. I imagine there is a plausible scenario where they had sex very regularly during those years, and Edith would no doubt have instructed DM how to do this and that to make him more adept. Much of that learned info is no doubt transferable to other women!

Once DM "lets go", as we saw in the late night kitchen table drunk scene, he is all in and pours everything out. When he becomes disinhibited, he doesn't just say "Boy, I really like you Louisa," he is spilling out his entire being, his complete and utter love for her, and if he hadn't passed out one can imagine they would have had sex right then and there on the kitchen table, forgetting the lack of culinary hygiene and assuming the youthful LG did not have osteoporosis. :D

I mean, come on, gals, when he responds in the taxi and kissed LG back, that looked like he knew what he was doing then, holding her face, drawing her to his lips....(is it getting hot in here or is is me....?)

If we add in his years being a lover to Edith, his capacity to give all once the inhibitions are gone, there is a chance DM could be a very good lover. :)

You know, I sure hope so. And we're all free to imagine what we will -- I certainly enjoy your imaginings in your fanfic (love Duty of Care as well).

I just think that he is generally presented in S1-S3 as shy, inhibited, repressed, and extremely awkward romantically. The scene just before the passionate kiss, with his hand inching towards hers on the taxi seat, was like a 13 year old boy on his first date in a movie theatre. And that is hard to reconcile with the idea that he is sexually experienced, etc., although I grant you that it is theoretically possible.

Edith comes into the picture as a necessary plot addition in S4, and so we get the idea of a romantic and sexual past with her, which was necessary for us to even entertain the idea that she was a threat to Louisa. But even though necessary for the plot, to me it was somewhat in conflict with the way DM had been presented in previous series.

However, as in everything else here, we all see things differently and that's the fun of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    You know, I sure hope so. And we're all free to imagine what we will -- I certainly enjoy your imaginings in your fanfic (love Duty of Care as well).

I just think that he is generally presented in S1-S3 as shy, inhibited, repressed, and extremely awkward romantically. The scene just before the passionate kiss, with his hand inching towards hers on the taxi seat, was like a 13 year old boy on his first date in a movie theatre. And that is hard to reconcile with the idea that he is sexually experienced, etc., although I grant you that it is theoretically possible.

Edith comes into the picture as a necessary plot addition in S4, and so we get the idea of a romantic and sexual past with her, which was necessary for us to even entertain the idea that she was a threat to Louisa. But even though necessary for the plot, to me it was somewhat in conflict with the way DM had been presented in previous series.

However, as in everything else here, we all see things differently and that's the fun of it.

NewPark, as usual you are right on the mark. We see glaring inconsistencies in the Doc's behavior. So how do we explain this? Different writers? Absence of recent experience makes the Doc regress? He's traumatized by AJ's death and being trapped in a biscuit town, so he has a no romantic/sexual feelings? One thing seems fairly consistent: he needs Louisa to take the lead, and then the floodgates can open. Progressively throughout the show we see a more inhibited, mannered Doc. What a shame that the spark that both CC and MC have as actors and in real life seldom blossoms here! The leap in S1 from the uncertain hands to the responsive kiss is enormous - and very compelling. I have hopes for S6. Boy, am I in a soppy mood lately!
This discussion has been closed.