Films that start well and end terribly

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    Con Air

true :)

let's destroy vegas. I can live with that.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Minority Report & A.I. - Both went on for 30 minutes longer than necessary. Okay, so A.I was pretty meh anyway, but Minority Report was good until Tom Cruise's character was freed from stasis and we had the typical Spielberg happy ending.

Falling Down - Good film right up until the moment they turned Michael Douglas's character from an ambiguous anti-hero to a bad guy stalking his ex-wife.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Die Hard with a Vengeance yet...

To be fair, that's a really, really difficult one to bring to a conclusion. Every melodrama needs a hefty emotional climax, and you can't do that if everything remains ambiguous. I agree that they push him a little bit too far into the evil side, but it's not an easy one to avoid.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Hate, hate, hate the ending where the police arrive.

Another vote for No Country For Old Men

Superman - The Movie - Not that the ending was terrible but it seems a bit underwhelming after the film that has come before it. Would have been interesting to see a proper Donner 1 and 2 rather than the crumbs of an idea we are left with now.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Eastern Promises which has a fantastic build up and then an incredibly abrupt ending.

Blazing Saddles, I watched this for the first time in years recently and the 'film set' ending just didn't sit right at all.

30 Days of Night. One punch to kill the evil vampire leader, all that build up and it took 1 punch.

The Godfather Trilogy (ok I'm cheating a bit) Part 3.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched Red River (1948), a western starring John Wayne and Montgomery Clift, for the first time. It was going great until near the end, when a certain female character was introduced, and the very last scene was almost risible after what had gone on before. I'll definitely watch it again, though.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Pretty much all of Roland Emmerich's movies.

They all collapse in the final act.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Every single film adapted from a Stephen King novel.

Except The Mist, That was unexpectedly brilliant!

Funny you should mention The MIst....
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    30 Days of Night. One punch to kill the evil vampire leader, all that build up and it took 1 punch.

It was little more than that, but I get what you mean and I agree. Having said that, you have to admit the actual ending has somewhat redeemed the film. It could have taken the other avenue, but it didn't. I'll give them that.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switchblade Romance kinda balls's it all up at the end, but the rest is so good it just about gets away with it.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Minority Report & A.I. - Both went on for 30 minutes longer than necessary. Okay, so A.I was pretty meh anyway, but Minority Report was good until Tom Cruise's character was freed from stasis and we had the typical Spielberg happy ending.

Falling Down - Good film right up until the moment they turned Michael Douglas's character from an ambiguous anti-hero to a bad guy stalking his ex-wife.

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Die Hard with a Vengeance yet...

I disagree. He was clearly a man going through a total breakdown, and the break-up of his marriage/inferred back story relating to this was instrumental and explained much. Unfortuantely real-life stories of stalking exes and terrible circumstances that can follow are by no means unheard of are they.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Django Unchained
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Titanic

The voyage was going well for most of the film. Then they got into trouble.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    good call, i really loved this film right up
    to when you see the monster,
    which is just utterly crap.

You know I have seen this film a million times (slight exaggeration) but I watched it the other day and I realised that the film would be a million times more scary if it was a real person
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member

Insidious. Genuinely creepy until
    Darth Maul 2.0 shows up, and cliffhanger-esque endings bug me if there isn't a sequel, which I'm not sure there will be.

Totally agree on that, there's been a second one made with it due to be released late September, early October this year I think :)
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    Django Unchained

Have to agree the film just fell apart in the last half hour.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Hate, hate, hate the ending where the police arrive.

That's a great ending!

After today's trip to the cinema I will have to add Mama to the promising movies with crappy endings list.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    Django Unchained

Yep. Could have done without Tarantino's awful cameo.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might take a little bit of stick for this but . . . . . The Business with Danny Dyer.

I actually really like the first hour or so of this film; the pacing is good, interesting characters bit of 'cockney gangster' fun mixed with scarface like drug story. However once everything falls apart for the characters the film falls apart as well.
  • cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long Distance
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Private Benjamin

It's like they spliced two different stories together, one good and one crap.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Sorry to revive, but having seen Basic, it had the potential to be great at the start until they started butchering the plot, and then the final twist was just terrible.
  • Stan MarinoStan Marino Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Knowing. Sweet lord.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kill List - the ultimate example.
  • belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AI.

Basically two completely different films stapled together. Could have something to do with the Spielberg/Kubrick thing...
  • HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    i'm going to put a vote for Armageddon, felt it was great up unti the landed on the meteor then became too silly