Anyone surprised by Mileys metoric rise??

2»

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel ancient as I remember beiing intrigued when Britney Spears went down the same route but Miley makes me feel uncomfortable, like a pervy uncle. I feel like saying, "For God's sake Dear, put some clothes on!

yes, well she does seem to be going for a less is more stance with her clothing.:o i can totally see why people are uncomfortable with her image though, as it is very out there. she said recently that she doesn't read what is being said about her and that is very wise really at this moment in time, all things considered.:o

its unbelievable to think that people can take a supposed conversation out of context and then apply it to her performance or her image. this is possibly one of the reasons why she doesn't google her name. of course, most rational people can see through such flimsy agendas and don't take these observations seriously thankfully. if miley is playing up to any negative stereotypes with her image then she is clearly challenging "white trash" and for better or worse, she is owning that image right now.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    yes, well she does seem to be going for a less is more stance with her clothing.:o i can totally see why people are uncomfortable with her image though, as it is very out there.

Is it, though? Female popstar in virtually naked video appearance shocker?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. Though I have to say that GaGa was accused by some posters of using the gay community and tolerance as an accessory for her own personal gain. Miley is doing exactly the same with her version of "black culture", yet she is being excused by some posters. These double standards do not form a good base for a convincing argument, but of course that comes with a serious lack of understanding of the issue and the effects it has, and will continue to have.

I'm sure that when this act of hers stops working, she will drop it like a hat and pretend it never happened. She should find a direction that comes from a genuine place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its not just the lack of clothes though, its the attitude that goes with the image that possibly shocks people.

in regards to other people that have resorted to making comparisons to previous off topic comments to somehow discredit opinion, then i seem to have unintentionally touched a nerve. if i had intended to show posters up, which of course is against the t&c's of digitalspy, then i would have perhaps posted some twitter comments to highlight some true double standards.

anyway back to thread.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Indeed. Though I have to say that GaGa was accused by some posters of using the gay community and tolerance as an accessory for her own personal gain. Miley is doing exactly the same with her version of "black culture", yet she is being excused by some posters. These double standards do not form a good base for a convincing argument, but of course that comes with a serious lack of understanding of the issue and the effects it has, and will continue to have.

I'm sure that when this act of hers stops working, she will drop it like a hat and pretend it never happened. She should find a direction that comes from a genuine place.

Can I just ask Zack, who said this is her version of 'black culture'?

You originally said on the previous page the comment she made was for her music to 'sound more black', now it may not be the best thing to say, but we have an awards ceremony in the UK that celebrates music of black origins, otherwise known as the Mobo Awards, there is also the BET awards. So I don't understand the controversy around this alleged comment, surely if we celebrate music of black origins, then in theory she can make her music sound more 'black'?

You are the one linking her 'twerking' and recent behaviour to making black people look bad and I don't understand how? Genuine question, I don't get how she is making black people look bad, I just see it as her on stage behaviour makes herself look stupid, no one else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »

You originally said on the previous page the comment she made was for her music to 'sound more black', now it may not be the best thing to say, but we have an awards ceremony in the UK that celebrates music of black origins, otherwise known as the Mobo Awards, there is also the BET awards. So I don't understand the controversy around this alleged comment, surely if we celebrate music of black origins, then in theory she can make her music sound more 'black'?

You are the one linking her 'twerking' and recent behaviour to making black people look bad and I don't understand how? Genuine question, I don't get how she is making black people look bad, I just see it as her on stage behaviour makes herself look stupid, no one else.

that is the way i see it too. i should perhaps clarify my position, if i honestly believed miley was promoting black culture in a negative way, then i wouldn't appreciate that at all. however, i simply wont be patronised by people suggesting i have no understanding of how it feels suffer at the hands of ignorant intolerance. nobody knows anything about me or my personal struggles, but i don't let those issues define me and cloud my prospective. miley just doesn't seem the type to discriminate or to put a negative spin on any culture, she supports gay marriage for instance and has the tattoo to prove it.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is a complete difference from being an artist who genuinely has been influenced by black culture from the beginning i.e. Amy Winehouse or even Lily Allen with her reggae influences to jumping on a bandwagon and reinforcing negative stereotypes.

She is quoted by her producers as saying she wanted something "more black". Is this coming from a genuine place by Miley as an artist? I don't think so. Is it suggesting that twerking on stage, taking drugs and acting wildly is something "more black". Certainly. She has completely ditched her old circle, choosing to be photographed with various rappers in order to try and ad some "credibility" to her new image, but it is all rather transparent.

This isn't a natural progression for Miley, it is a new direction yes, but as I said previously, I feel like she is just using this image as an accessory for her own gains to the detriment of others who have to suffer the consequences, this can be denied for as long as anyone wants, but the truth is still there. It has nothing to do with personal feelings or struggles but everything to do with wanting negative connotations gone. I find it hard to believe that she has had this persona ever since she rose to fame. I never said she was making anyone "look bad", but she certainly is reinforcing rather dubious stereotypes with her behaviour.

And the saddest thing is, she is free to dump this image and move on with her career whenever she wishes to. I'm not sure this is who she really is, and that is the problem.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really ... she knows sex sells records ... sad but true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    Not really ... she knows sex sells records ... sad but true.

much like many others before her and that is where circle scenario mentioned on the last page comes into play again.

i think its all about context really. do i think this is a natural progression for miley as an artist? no, but i don't really see her as an artist either.:o she wanted an urban sound according to her producers and they delivered that for her, but that is where the "black culture" comparison ends in my opinion. negative connotations are everywhere, just look at rihanna's behaviour at times and she has a far wider appeal.:eek: rihanna said she wanted to be the "black madonna", but people in general embraced her change and she's been very successful. miley changes her sound and suddenly everything she does is connected to her musical change in a negative way. seems like a more tangible double standard than the bizarre off topic one i was accused of, but thank god she didn't tell her producers she wanted to be the "white rihanna".:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not just the lack of clothes though, its the attitude that goes with the image that possibly shocks people.

What's shocking about her attitude though?

Maybe I don't know enough about her, I'm hardly a fan, but I can't say I'm shocked by anything she's done. I just think they're poor choices, but its her career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's shocking about her attitude though?

Maybe I don't know enough about her, I'm hardly a fan, but I can't say I'm shocked by anything she's done. I just think they're poor choices, but its her career.

the whole cant be tamed/we cant stop attitude is perhaps a shocking to some people. her knowing look when she poses with a chained monkey on her back for example might rub people up the wrong way. like i said before, her stance is a bit out there, its certainly nothing i haven't seen before either, but to the new generation, it could be shocking.

she doesn't particularly outrage me in all honesty, but i can except that she may raise a few eyebrows due to her persona.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    her knowing look when she poses with a chained monkey on her back for example might rub people up the wrong way.

As I mentioned, I'm not a Miley fan and don't know very much about her career particularly... wth was this? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned, I'm not a Miley fan and don't know very much about her career particularly... wth was this? :confused:

this.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this.:o

Ah, I see... thank you :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone seen her in this ?!? i am speechless :eek::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbEoRnaOIbs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aries_123 wrote: »

Isn't it being reported that Mike WILL Made It (whoever he may be) is her latest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aries_123 wrote: »

she is pushing the disney girl all grown up persona to perhaps a new low in terms of good taste with this latest video, if that is even possible for her at this stage.:o she has always maintained that she is heavily influenced by britney spears and i think she can relate to britney from the growing up in the limelight perspective. however, personally i think her drastic image change and new musical direction reminds me more of when christina aguilera changed things up quite drastically with "stripped", but obviously miley's change hasn't been executed as well.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it being reported that Mike WILL Made It (whoever he may be) is her latest?

yeah, i heard about that, but mike's rep denied the rumours.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    the controversy has propelled her profile to a height that was pretty unexpected really. people forget that she has never had a top 10 hit here before and is only now receiving her first billboard #1.

she's been trying to shred her disney past since 2010 with the whole "cant be tamed" campaign including her much talked about ""britain's got talent" performance. then she upped the stakes somewhat with the drastic image change last year and with her "vh1 divas" performance. then of course there was that twerking video that suggested more change was afoot.:o

i think she moved labels at the right time really to ensure fresh investment and for her to capitalise on her change in direction. the two singles have been great though, so together with the controversy, she's been delivering impressive results.

This.
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't bother, there's a certain group on this forum determined to find something offensive in everything. Probably the same type of loser that sat and complained about the girl's skirt being too short in that bread advert.

There is nobody anywhere that thinks anything better or worse of black people because of the actions of Miley Cyrus.. LOL...