Mse

EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been successfully using MSE for a while now but just recently the icon changes from the usual green one with the tick to the orange one with the exclamation mark.

On opening MSE it shows real-time protection on; virus and spyware definitions up to date and scan details are showing the current scheduled scan (set as daily quick scan) complete but the orange "SCAN NOW" button is showing and it states that "You haven't run a scan on your PC for a while. This could put your PC at risk".

The scheduled scan is a Quick Scan rather than a Full Scan or Custom Scan, anybody know if that is the cause of the warning ?

Comments

• OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm oddly enough I've just switched on a Win7 PC with MSE for the first time in 2 weeks and got the exclamation mark which I assumed would go once it did an update but it failed to update..... it also detected a java exploit (good old java) which I deleted - after being unable to update MSE at all I uninstalled and tried to re-install but it gives an error code on re-install.

I've now loaded Avast to see if there's some more crap on my PC..... all this just by not using the PC for a couple weeks lol
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, non-use doesn't apply in my case.

I might try a full scan once a week but keep the daily quick scans going to see if that cures it.

Trouble is only one type of scan schedule can be set so I'll have to remember to run a weekly full scan.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before I swapped to Panda Cloud Antivirus (free) I ran MSE with daily quick scans, even without doing a full scan weekly I always had a green icon in the system tray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I ran MSE with daily quick scans, even without doing a full scan weekly I always had a green icon in the system tray.

Mmmm....that's what made me query it because up until a few weeks ago that's what I saw. But in the last 4(?) weeks I've had this happen twice (and now a third time) and on the previous 2 occasions it's gone back to normal after a full scan, neither of which found anything wrong.

I've also ran Malwarebytes just in case but that found nothing either.

I'm running a full scan at the moment so let's see what happens.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    If you are using Piriform "Ccleaner" you will find this interesting

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=36952

I had this problem a few months ago and taking the tick off
    cleaner - applications - windows - MS Antimalware was the solution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good find !.....yes I do use CC and yes, MS AntiMalware was ticked.

I will experiment and post back.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    Good find !.....yes I do use CC and yes, MS AntiMalware was ticked.

I will experiment and post back.

Yes this is the cause. Ccleaner wipes out the record of routine MSE scans if this option is ticked. Why Piriform leaves this as default setting I do not know.

Note also that MSE will only do its scans at around the set time. If the computer is not switched on at that time the scan is missed. There is no 'catch-up' scan performed. Go a week without a scan and the icon goes orange. Therefore ensure that your scan time is set for when the computer is likely to be on.