Silent Hill

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Is this any good? it looks like my sort of movie.

I loved the video game. And Radha is one of my favourite actresses, very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mT5LhbRJw

And is number 2 any good?

Comments

• revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First movie was average, second was laughably bad. Tbf the town looks really good and if you're a fan of the games you'll enjoy hearing the music in the film, but like Resident Evil it just doesn't work on the big screen. Just my opinion though...
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant say I really remember the storyline clearly now, but I do think it was very atmospheric. Some of the early confused madworld scenes(cant think of anyway else to describe them) were pretty effective imo.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    First movie was average, second was laughably bad. Tbf the town looks really good and if you're a fan of the games you'll enjoy hearing the music in the film, but like Resident Evil it just doesn't work on the big screen. Just my opinion though...

Silent Hill is much better than the Resident Evil movies - mainly because it sticks somewhat closer to the feel and look of the games. The Resident Evil films were action movies based on survival horror games; ideally, they should have been B-movie types, which is what the original Playstation games were modelled on.

The first half of the first Silent Hill is very close to the plot of the first game (discounting the main character's gender). It loses a little in the second half because it explains too much (whereas the original game was more confusing and disorientating) but it was a solid film and I think it did the game justice much more than any other video game adaptation.

The second movie was very campy and OTT, but I hear it follows the plot of the third game (which I've never played) very closely, so chances are if you liked the game you'd like the movie.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Silent Hill is much better than the Resident Evil movies

You forgot to put "in my opinion" after that sentence. Not that I disagree, just sayin' ;)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Cant say I really remember the storyline clearly now, but I do think it was very atmospheric. Some of the early confused madworld scenes(cant think of anyway else to describe them) were pretty effective imo.

I agree with this.

The sequel was a waste, but worth seeing if you want to see the conclusion-ish.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know Silent Hill was a actual place. Kinda scary.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've played the game it's fun to see parts of it recreated and hear the score.

As far as the film goes, it's solid for an hour then disappears up its own backside. All the atmosphere and creepiness built up by the start is ruined by the OTT effects and hammy performances which appear in the third act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I didn't know Silent Hill was a actual place. Kinda scary.

:confused: It's a fictional place, created for the game (and films) only. Unless you were talking about Ashiodozan, the supposedly original source of the game's inspiration?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I really liked the first one - one of the better creature horror films i've seen IMO. Second one was, of course, terrible, but there was something about the first one I just really liked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed both films, but the first one was better
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with much of the opinion here. Very atmospheric and close to visual style of game. Don't remember much about sequel; is that the one with the really weird climax? (Dark Alessa?)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't ever played the game and didn't know much about it when I watched Silent Hill.

I found it entertaining and for the most part, intriguing.

I still haven't played the game and I haven't seen the second one.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never played the game but I really liked the movie Silent Hill. I thought it was atmospheric and well done and the attention to detail was much better than I expected, given that it was a game crossover with guaranteed fan base. Often the makers of such movies are tempted to rest on the laurels of the franchise. Not with Silent Hill.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    You forgot to put "in my opinion" after that sentence. Not that I disagree, just sayin' ;)

Be it ever so humble. ;):p
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st one is very good. Not seen the 2nd yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this any good? it looks like my sort of movie.

I loved the video game. And Radha is one of my favourite actresses, very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mT5LhbRJw

And is number 2 any good?

It's very good. The switch over to alternate Silent Hill is pretty much spot on in the creepy stakes as in the game.

It was on tv again recently and reminded me what a hottie Radha Mitchell is. Not to mention Laurie Holden. Hubba hubba.

I had no idea there'd been a sequel mind.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,193
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Silent Hill is much better than the Resident Evil movies - mainly because it sticks somewhat closer to the feel and look of the games. The Resident Evil films were action movies based on survival horror games; ideally, they should have been B-movie types, which is what the original Playstation games were modelled on.

The first half of the first Silent Hill is very close to the plot of the first game (discounting the main character's gender). It loses a little in the second half because it explains too much (whereas the original game was more confusing and disorientating) but it was a solid film and I think it did the game justice much more than any other video game adaptation.

The second movie was very campy and OTT, but I hear it follows the plot of the third game (which I've never played) very closely, so chances are if you liked the game you'd like the movie.

This is very true. And if you actually think about all the woeful movies based on games, it is pretty good. I do love the cast: Rhada Mitchell, Sean Bean, Laurie Holden and Alice Krige.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    This is very true. And if you actually think about all the woeful movies based on games, it is pretty good. I do love the cast: Rhada Mitchell, Sean Bean, Laurie Holden and Alice Krige.

Alone in the Dark has to be the worst. It doesn't even have the 'so bad it is good' offering. To all people who say that Hitman is the worst, you don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at Alone in the Dark and tell me if you still say Hitman is the worst. :cry: Damn you, Uwe Boll.

I think the best popcorn film adaptations are Silent Hill, The Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. I had zero expectations when I watched Doom, but it took me by surprise by being a somewhat decent adaptation. I think mostly because I liked some nods it make to the game. A mildly entertaining action B-movie, basically.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first left me feeling violated, extremely disturbing. Brilliant though...
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    It's very good. The switch over to alternate Silent Hill is pretty much spot on in the creepy stakes as in the game.

It was on tv again recently and reminded me what a hottie Radha Mitchell is. Not to mention Laurie Holden. Hubba hubba.

I had no idea there'd been a sequel mind.

Radha Mitchell was in Pitch Black too also good acting very underrated actress.. and cute too
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

The laser scene in RE is pretty cool - especially at the end!
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    I saw this a while ago but it was really good, is it true that the mom and child are actually dead the whole time from after the car crash? I seem to remember that was the ending implied.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    I saw this a while ago but it was really good, is it true that the mom and child are actually dead the whole time from after the car crash? I seem to remember that was the ending implied.

It's certainly open to interpretation, but my take: No.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    And if you actually think about all the woeful movies based on games, it is pretty good.

Super Mario stil takes some beating.
    Takae wrote: »
    . To all people who say that Hitman is the worst, you don't know what you're talking about.

I really like the Hitman film. Think it's very underrated. I also quite like the Doom film, again mainly for the cast.
    Radha Mitchell was in Pitch Black too also good acting very underrated actress.. and cute too

Very good actor, and yes, underrated.