Windows 7 product key

There's a story in this month's PC Pro (Feb) that if you use an old product key that's over 90 days old, M$ might claim it's "unsupported" and force you to buy a new key. I want to reinstall Windows but can I check if my key is still valid or not somewhere?

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    This is the sort of nonsense that made me stop buying computer magazines years ago.

If this is a serious question, then the activation will either pass or fail. If it fails for some reason you just ring the freephone number provided, and if everything is above board they will provide you with an authorisation code. If the system is the same one it was originally installed on then there is no obvious reason it should fail activation.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The month discrepancy gives this away as a blatant copy and paste job.

The OP is clearly trolling.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »

Busted! (unless we just jumped forward three months!)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,507
    Forum Member
    Maybe he or someone is confused about the 90 day evaluation versions of Windows 8? They are now expiring or expired and a new key will be needed to continue. Yes I know he said Windows 7 but maybe the confusion is rampant? ;)

O/P I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some evaluation version of something.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I received a copy of Computer Shopper on Wednesday this week (28/11/2012) dated February 2013 so the cover date given by the OP is correct.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member

No, I'm really not... Unless you've been living under a cave you'll know that computer magazines are always months ahead in terms of issue.

There's a letter in the PC Pro that's out now from a consumer stating that he rebuilt his machine using new components like SSD etc, called Microsoft to activate it and they told him he needed to fork out again as his copy is too old.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a letter in the PC Pro that's out now from a consumer stating that he rebuilt his machine using new components like SSD etc, called Microsoft to activate it and they told him he needed to fork out again as his copy is too old.

Ah, that's not quite what you said before. The writer might be relaying his experience, but its not a general policy by Microsoft.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    The only scenario this would be true would be if the person had bought an OEM copy, used it on their previous machine, then wanted to "upgrade" but was essentially replacing the machine...ie new motherboard, cpu, graphics card etc.

To reiterate, its nothing to do with age, but that the person was using OEM software which is non-transferable. A normal retail copy of Windows would not present this problem but costs slightly more.

Btw, this isn't a Microsoft thing. Plenty of other companies provide OEM versions of software for system builders which have the same limitations.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you posting product keys? Isn't that likely to get you banned?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooh a free key, any chance of your credit card number/exp date & cvn?

its not the first key to be given away, can always remember pc format magazine printing a screen shot that showed a win 98 key which was very useful as i had to sort out a machine and didn't have a 98 key on me but the mag i'd just picked up did as the owner had lost the key and i knew he had one as i'd sorted him out before and had seen it
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    ooh a free key, any chance of your credit card number/exp date & cvn?

its not the first key to be given away, can always remember pc format magazine printing a screen shot that showed a win 98 key which was very useful as i had to sort out a machine and didn't have a 98 key on me but the mag i'd just picked up did as the owner had lost the key and i knew he had one as i'd sorted him out before and had seen it

Yeah, there was someone selling a laptop on Ebay years ago and showed clearly the XP COA number, it must have been a magic COA as I used it on several different PC's that I'd knocked up and they activated everytime :D
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,507
    Forum Member
    Let's hope that isn't really your key and you're just having a joke otherwise you've just allowed 5billion people have the use of your key lol

Where's the epic fail icon?

:D

Hint: if it is your real code then ask DS to remove it now, RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

Well if his software isn't already blocked, it soon will be... :D
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A google search brings this hit
    Windows 7 product key - PC & Mac Hardware and Software - Digital ...

forums.digitalspy.co.uk › ... › Gadgets › PC & Mac Hardware and Software
    13 posts - 11 authors - 8 hours ago
    ... a while back (can't exactly remember when) - can anyone tell me if it is still valid? The key is. xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx Thanks ...

Too late now, I'm afraid, but I've reported the post
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dammit, my fake key has been nuked. Of course, it would be deliciously ironic if I had randomly generated one of Bill Gates' genuine keys :cool:

Don't worry, I won't post any of my keys, but I can reveal that they have some dashes in them. Shhh!
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for my little troll-lol-lol. Hackers hacked into my DS account etc etc :o