Dara O'Briain's Science Club, BBC2&HD, 9pm Tues

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I hope it's not just another in the Hammond type of programmes.

I like Dara and hopefully this will be a bit quirkier and have some laughs as well as inform.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I hope it's not just another in the Hammond type of programmes.

I like Dara and hopefully this will be a bit quirkier and have some laughs as well as inform.

The difference is that Dara knows what he is talking about when it comes to the science. Hammond doesn't and just reads a script.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the Top Gear-style studio audience, but seems OK apart from that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Looks a bit like an 80's channel 4 kids program on a sunday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Jones is terrific.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Difference is good, it powers evolution"

Stick that in your pipe, the religious.

But then they won't be watching a science based programme or they will be watching it and disagreeing with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take back what I said about the audience - they're being used quite well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This extracting DNA experiment is really good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK so who is searching around in their cupboards for Fairy Liquid, Pineapple Juice and 80% vodka?

It's next years party trick!

Party cloning to come in 2014!

Just extract anyone's DNA and place it in the Clone-O-matic and out pops a baby!

Be the mother and father of your own offspring!
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Enjoying this so far. I wish I could place where I've heard the incidental music before. I keep thinking I heard it in the Olympics.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK so who is searching around in their cupboards for Fairy Liquid, Pineapple Juice and 80% vodka?

It's next years party trick!

Party cloning to come in 2014!

Just extract anyone's DNA and place it in the Clone-O-matic and out pops a baby!

Be the mother and father of your own offspring!

I remember a radio show a while back which interviewed people who were doing their own genetic engineering in their kitchens and garages, apparently it is relatively cheap and easy to do - nothing too fancy mind, no-one is creating mutant pig/cucumber beasts, but enough to get some scientists worried about the potential consequences.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying this so far. I wish I could place where I've heard the incidental music before. I keep thinking I heard it in the Olympics.

There was one piece they kept playing which reminded me of the theme to Black Books.....
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    There was one piece they kept playing which reminded me of the theme to Black Books.....

I know just the piece of music you mean, as it made me think of Black Books too. :)
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was ok i thought on the whole..
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite enjoyable!
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes,it was the music they played over David Beckham coming up the Thames in the power-boat, in the opening ceremony.

I'd love to now what it's called and who it's by.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First School of Hard Sums and now this! Why didn't Dara just become a teacher?!
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Yes,it was the music they played over David Beckham coming up the Thames in the power-boat, in the opening ceremony.

THATS IT!! You star, I knew it was in the Olympics, but I just couldn't be sure. Thank you. It's a great piece of music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    I remember a radio show a while back which interviewed people who were doing their own genetic engineering in their kitchens and garages, apparently it is relatively cheap and easy to do - nothing too fancy mind, no-one is creating mutant pig/cucumber beasts, but enough to get some scientists worried about the potential consequences.

Well if you can separate it that easy, it's just the combining and implanting bit that needs work.

And from what little I know about cloning, whilst it is complex and hit and miss, the actual combining isn't that much more difficult than the exaction. A microscope and a jolt of electricity I think.

It's alive!!!!!!!
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That worked pretty well. It's far, far better than the BBC's science documentaries - none of the endless repetition. :)
    Dara seemed to be quite relaxed and in his element for the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THATS IT!! You star, I knew it was in the Olympics, but I just couldn't be sure. Thank you. It's a great piece of music.

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EeyPYKmc3I

Then of course there is my theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec8GZkEpD4
    Forum Member
    No it's neither of those, but they're stunning,I loved them in the opening ceremony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Einstein and dark energy next week.
    Forum Member

Whoop whoop!! Got it!

David Holmes- I Heard Wonders
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

David Holmes..I Heard Wonders
    http://youtu.be/pPZrRRKdUnU