Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks TD. I did wonder that as this game was a 5Live game whether they'd be allowed.

Mark Chapman is at SoL tonight for 5Live presenting.

Darren Fletcher, Ian Dennis & Kevin Kilbane are the commentary team
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to the Spanish GP. The Championship 2nd leg PO is on Sports Extra which is a shame.
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newport County V Wrexham (Blue Square BET Premier Play-off Final) (Sunday)

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies hosted from Wembley stadium, with commentary from Rob Phillips and Andy Legg, Jason Perry and Brian Flynn. James Pontin was pitchside reporter (All frequencies / Online)

Adam Walton and Lisa Rogers hosted a 'Live from Olympic Way' beforehand.

BBC Radio Cymru - Eleri Siôn hosted from Wembley Stadium, with commentary from Dylan Griffiths and Iwan Roberts, Marc Lloyd Williams and Waynne Phillips. Gareth Blainey was pitchside reporter. Dylan Jones, Dylan Llewellyn and Meilir Owen were at Wembley Way for a special 'Ar y marc' before Camp Lawn started.

Alun Thomas was down at Cardiff Bay for Radio Cymru reporting on preperations for Cardiff Dragons open top bus celebrations.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday 6th May - Signal 2

Andy Jones presented Signal Sport from the studio

Premier League
    Sunderland v Stoke City - George Andrews and Mike Pejic (8pm commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me wrote: »
    Newport County V Wrexham (Blue Square BET Premier Play-off Final) (Sunday)

Alistair Bruce-Ball was there for 5 Live (judging by his twitter feed).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 5th May - BBC One (Midlands)

Late Kick Off

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Steve Froggatt and Michael Johnson

Brighton & Hove Albion v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Mike Taylor (BBC WM)
    Burton Albion v Bradford City - Charles Collins (BBC Radio Derby)
    Derby County v Millwall - Ed Dawes (BBC Radio Derby)
    Birmingham City v Blackburn Rovers - Tom Marlow (BBC WM)

Charles Collins' commentary on the second leg of the Burton Albion v Bradford City play-off tie was part of Laura May McMullan's feature on the match and was preceded by Manish Bhasin voicing highlights from the second leg of the other League Two semi-final, Cheltenham Town v Northampton Town. The other features saw Natalie Jackson report on the key Nottingham Forest v Leicester City game - with her voicing the action meaning we didn't hear either Colin Fray or Ian Stringer's commentary - and visit Mansfield Town's husband and wife chairman and chief executive team of John and Carolyn Radford. And that's it from this season's Late Kick Off series, providing there aren't any special Play-Off Semi-Final highlights shows as some BBC Regions have produced in previous seasons.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 7.5.13

With Mark Pougatch at the DW Stadium

Man City v WBA - Conor McNamara (Ian Brown and Jimmy Armfield for Sports Extra)
    Wigan v Swansea - Alan Green + Mark Lawrenson (commentary)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 7th May - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside John Taylor (the former British & Irish Lion)

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Dom McGuinness
    Wigan Athletic v Swansea City - Simon Humphreys

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Kevin Hatchard and Alan McLoughlin (featured 7.45pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Wigan Athletic v Swansea City - Dan Wheeler

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from the Etihad Stadium

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Tom Ross and Tony Brown (7.45pm commentary in Birmingham, the Black Country and Shropshire)

BBC WM

Paul Franks presenting The Football Phone-In alongside Steve Froggatt, followed by Mark Regan presenting WM Sport from the Etihad Stadium

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Rob Gurney and Mark Regan (7.45pm commentary)

WM started their live match coverage at 7.30pm tonight in order to have an extended Football Phone-In reacting to the sacking of Dean Saunders as Wolves manager. Anyone been listening to WM today who knows if they sent anyone out to Wolverhampton to get the fans reaction? The Goalzone spoke to Matt Murray about Dean's dismissal at the top of their programme this evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wigan Athletic v Jackland

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (hosting from ground) Rob Phillips and Kevin Ratcliffe (All frequencies / Online)
    BBC Radio Cymru - Owan Llyr (studio host) Dylan Griffiths and Iwan Roberts (commentary / Online)
    Swansea Sound - Mark Scott (commentary)

All games left in the Premier League for Jackland are at 4pm on a Sunday, to which both Radio Wales and Cymru are saying will be available nationwide.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All games left in the Premier League for Jackland are at 4pm on a Sunday, to which both Radio Wales and Cymru are saying will be available nationwide.

Interesting - I assume Absolute have told them they are not picking Swansea v Fulham on the final day, so the BBC have been allowed to broadcast it nationally across Wales.

Normally it's FM in SW Wales only unless the match is on 5Live (as Man U v Swansea is).
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesday 7th May - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off alongside John Taylor (the former British & Irish Lion)

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Dom McGuinness
    Wigan Athletic v Swansea City - Simon Humphreys

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Kevin Hatchard and Alan McLoughlin (featured 7.45pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Wigan Athletic v Swansea City - Dan Wheeler

Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presenting The Goalzone from the Etihad Stadium

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Tom Ross and Tony Brown (7.45pm commentary in Birmingham, the Black Country and Shropshire)

BBC WM

Paul Franks presenting The Football Phone-In alongside Steve Froggatt, followed by Mark Regan presenting WM Sport from the Etihad Stadium

Premier League
    Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion - Rob Gurney and Mark Regan (7.45pm commentary)

WM started their live match coverage at 7.30pm tonight in order to have an extended Football Phone-In reacting to the sacking of Dean Saunders as Wolves manager. Anyone been listening to WM today who knows if they sent anyone out to Wolverhampton to get the fans reaction? The Goalzone spoke to Matt Murray about Dean's dismissal at the top of their programme this evening.

I suppose as the extended prog on WM was last minute, you won't be able to hear the last half hour on IPlayer as it falls under the football coverage bit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I suppose as the extended prog on WM was last minute, you won't be able to hear the last half hour on IPlayer as it falls under the football coverage bit?

They've only uploaded the first hour of tonight's Football Phone-In to the iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0184kmc

I don't suppose they'll upload the final half hour on its own once WM Sport has ended but you never know, it might be worth checking back as I know they separate the 5-6pm hour on Saturday's WM Sport from the live coverage and upload that onto the iPlayer on weeks without a late Saturday game involving one of their clubs.

Westy, were you listening to WM this afternoon? If so, how did they cover the Dean Saunders dismissal?

Edit: Peter Smith was reporting on Wigan Athletic v Swansea City for IRN, just heard his full-time report on Free Radio 80s' 10pm news bulletin.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wigan Athletic v Jackland

BBC Radio Wales - Simon Davies (hosting from ground) Rob Phillips and Kevin Ratcliffe (All frequencies / Online)
    BBC Radio Cymru - Owan Llyr (studio host) Dylan Griffiths and Iwan Roberts (commentary / Online)
    Swansea Sound - Mark Scott (commentary)

Hi Ian. are you sure bout that? I make you right for this Sunday's game against Mancheser nited but the last round of Sunday 4 PM games count in the Saturday 3PM pckage (hence why TS can only ever do around the grounds shows on this day now) so I'm no sure if th terms of he contract will allow Swans v Fulham to go out nationally digital
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've only uploaded the first hour of tonight's Football Phone-In to the iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0184kmc

I don't suppose they'll upload the final half hour on its own once WM Sport has ended but you never know, it might be worth checking back as I know they separate the 5-6pm hour on Saturday's WM Sport from the live coverage and upload that onto the iPlayer on weeks without a late Saturday game involving one of their clubs.

Westy, were you listening to WM this afternoon? If so, how did they cover the Dean Saunders dismissal?

Edit: Peter Smith was reporting on Wigan Athletic v Swansea City for IRN, just heard his full-time report on Free Radio 80s' 10pm news bulletin.

We don't have WM on at work unfortunately.

They prefer music stations or Cd's.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    Stan Collymore is in on talkSPORT covering SAF's retirement. These situations are where TS are so strong I feel. It seems a fair few folk knew he was going, it's amazing that such things can still be contained these days
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Ian. are you sure bout that? I make you right for this Sunday's game against Mancheser nited but the last round of Sunday 4 PM games count in the Saturday 3PM pckage (hence why TS can only ever do around the grounds shows on this day now) so I'm no sure if th terms of he contract will allow Swans v Fulham to go out nationally digital

Well, It was mentioned in the Monday Night Club as being on 'Radio Wales', when usally, they would stick in '...in the Swansea area'.
  • swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, It was mentioned in the Monday Night Club as being on 'Radio Wales', when usally, they would stick in '...in the Swansea area'.

well... they should know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Stan Collymore is in on talkSPORT covering SAF's retirement. These situations are where TS are so strong I feel. It seems a fair few folk knew he was going, it's amazing that such things can still be contained these days

Agreed, talkSPORT comes into its own on days like this. I've been dipping in and out in spells since last night, with the news first being discussed pretty early on in The Sports Bar yesterday - they had Dom McGuinness on who'd been reporting on Manchester City v West Bromwich Albion, but naturally is well connected in the other half of Manchester and while keeping pretty tight-lipped about the situation, clearly felt that what was a rumour at that stage had some gravitas.

I listened to a bit of Hawksbee & Jacobs this afternoon and I thought they did an excellent job as they always do whenever there's a big story to react to. They went into straight news mode and had a number of good guests on to react to the story - they even had Ian Danter reporting via ISDN from Chester Races where Sir Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United squad were due to visit today!

I didn't hear Keys & Gray, which will have been on-air as the story was confirmed, but I have read it was an excellent show - they certainly have the contacts book to put together a good one on a day like today. Even Drive Time, which I'm not a fan of under normal circumstances, sounded like it was going to be pretty respectful and retrospective from what I heard of it. Having Matt Holland in as Adrian Durham's co-host rather than Darren Gough probably helps to that end. But all in all, their coverage of Sir Alex's retirement has been pretty good from what I've heard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 8th May - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off Exclusive from Stamford Bridge alongside Stan Collymore

Premier League
    Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (7.45pm commentary), with Ian Abrahams at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Tom Rennie and Paul McVeigh

I notice from talkSPORT.co.uk's schedules that this weekend's Sunday Exclusive has been extended to run through until 5pm, so I imagine that talkSPORT will have commentary on one of the five Sunday 3pm kick-offs as well as Stoke City v Tottenham at 1.30pm, although that pick hasn't been confirmed on their website yet.
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Or they'll be doing around the grounds instead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    Or they'll be doing around the grounds instead?

Possibly, although if they want to pick up a 3pm commentary I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to do one - they have always been allowed to do a double header whenever there are two or more Sunday 3pm kick-offs and they still have enough games left over in their 64 match allocation for this season to do one.

Radio 5 Live have confirmed they'll be covering Sunderland v Southampton on Sunday at 3pm while Absolute Radio have Queens Park Rangers v Newcastle United - so if talkSPORT are to do a commentary at that time, Norwich City v West Bromwich Albion would be the best choice of the remaining games from a competitive standpoint.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conor McNamara and Nigel Spackman at The Bridge for 5 Live.

As mentioned in the broadcasting section Darren Fletcher has changed his twitter name from 'fletcfh5live' to DFletcherSport. His profile says he is a football commentator for BT and 5 Live as well as NFL and 606 so I wonder if he will work for both next season.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Hi I have started commentating on Bradford City matches for St Lukes Hospital radio in Bradford, 1st match was the 1st leg to Burton last week. Have a listen to highlights at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmL5uOqeuaY

It was my 1st time, and yes room for improvement I'll be honest but I hope we'll be covering more matches on the hospital radio next season and I think it went down well with listeners. Any feedback good or bad will be gratefully received and I'll make use of it, I promise!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fletcher has said he's like to continue to work for the BBC inc NFL. Maybe 606 or even just on the World Cup next year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 5 schedules indicate that the EL Final is updates only with no commentary which is a shame.