Friends Gripes

Comments

• decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Same here, people take it far too seriously! How can you really get annoyed at Friends? :confused::D

The thread title is Friends Gripes - so to be nice to the OP we thought of some. It's just a bit of fun, don't take it to heart :)
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Exactly thank you decobelle its just a lighthearted thread for a bit of gripin'! I love Friends and I still watch it like a fool and I'm guessing I'm not alone but some times it's fun to nit pick and have a bit of a grouse.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think people are actively annoyed, it's just "gripes" as in inconsistencies and errors that you noticed.

Granted however, a few posters do take it too seriously when dissecting character's intentions (mostly Phoebe).
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another gripe is when Rachel said to Ross "How serious are you about keeping Ben in your life?" when pregnant with Emma

That's a selfish thing to say even if it was a joke
    Forum Member
    And what's funny is he wasn't too serious about keeping either of his kids in his life at that point
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel is 28 in series three.

Thats my point...Monica and Rachel are the same age, Monica is 27 in s2 (therefore 28 in s3) but somehow Rach turns 30 in s7
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Of all the houses in all of upstate New York, Janice just happened to be looking at the house next door to Monica & Chandler. :yawn:

Another Janice gripe, when Chandler 'moved' to Yemen, and he said his address was 'Yemen Road, Yemen', not even Janice would believe something as silly as that.

I think gripeslike that are a bit much. It's a situation COMEDY not a documentary
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also I know age has been mentioned, but here's another: Joey stating in late season one he is 25. Jump to mid season 2 he says he 28!

I hate to quote myself but as I'm doing a full re-watch I keep noticing things...

And I think we can safely say that the ages are the worst inconsistency throughout the show, because in early season 4, Chandler says that Joey is 28 - Still!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    The thread title is Friends Gripes - so to be nice to the OP we thought of some. It's just a bit of fun, don't take it to heart :)

Oh, absolutely. However some people seem to take it very seriously!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Oh, absolutely. However some people seem to take it very seriously!

Aw, you gotta love Friends, I do feel bad finding any gripes TBH because it has brought me so much happiness over the years! I know it's silly to feel that way about a TV show, but it got me through some tough times in my younger days! :)
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Only 'gripe' I have really is that there should have been a 'follow up' series......not the Joey one, we didn't get the true character that came straight from the 'Friends' series!!!:confused: we got an alternative, which didn't work at all:(
    Forum Member
    Did Monica give up her preference for a side of the bed when she got with Chandler
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    vkmax wrote: »
    Thats my point...Monica and Rachel are the same age, Monica is 27 in s2 (therefore 28 in s3) but somehow Rach turns 30 in s7

Yeah I know, I was just giving an extra detail. :p

I was sort of watching the fertility clinic episode earlier which got me thinking... why was Janice even there? She already has at least three kids (the one she gave birth to when Rachel had Emma, and she left Chandler to go back to her husband for the sake of her kids, so she had at least two).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the episode where Ross accidentally takes Rachels jumper homes, then wears it out on a date, it's actually quite baggy on him - really, size 0 Jennifer Anistons jumper fits you? And it's not the style of jumper because Ross's date is wearing the same, and it's a snug fit!
    Forum Member
    Yeah they could've picked a better more universal jumper for that particular storyline.

When did Jack get his Porsche?
    In the one where Monica reveals she's dating Richard he mentions how he got a Porsche which I thought was fairly recent to that storyline, but in the Thanksgiving storyline he has *a* Porsche then too which would be about ten years previous?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E05297535 wrote: »
    Only 'gripe' I have really is that there should have been a 'follow up' series......not the Joey one, we didn't get the true character that came straight from the 'Friends' series!!!:confused: we got an alternative, which didn't work at all:(

I disagree. Joey was awful but I'm glad there was no equally awful attempt at reviving the show with the rest of the cast.

I must be the only fan who doesn't want a movie neither. :D
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think a Friends movie would ever have worked either. It worked for Sex & The City because the series was very filmic to begin with - the movies were just like watching a season in one sitting. Friends would have had to change the whole style of the comedy and the show to work as a movie.

Speaking of S&TC, one of the other curious things about Friends was how so many things in its final few episodes echoed similar stories in S&TC's final episodes (which aired a few months earlier). At the time I'd already noticed a couple of similarities, and then when the whole Rachel/Paris thing came up I couldn't believe it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching an episode now where Pheobe and Chandler are buying an engagement ring for Monica. One guy comes in and buys the ring that Chandler asked Pheobe to guard. Pheobe then chases after the man for three seconds before being trapped by the security bars. The next scene then has Pheobe and Chandler at a restaurant where the man is, and Pheobe manages to spot the man immediately even though she only saw the side of his face for three seconds before being trapped in the store. :rolleyes:

EDIT - Pheobe just walked up to him and the conversation went like -

"excuse me sir, you have a phone call"
    "who from?"
    "your office"
    "who from my office?"
    "John"
    "Oh, good, John!"

Never mind asking Pheobe who she was and how she was recieving phonecalls for him when they'd never met before. :p
    Forum Member
    Yeah that bothered me too she overheard where he was going to propose but not what ring he was buying! Damn it Phoebe!
    I thought the John from the office part was funny though, he probably just thought she was a manager at the restaurant or something.

@StgRock yea whoever came up with Rachel / Carrie moving to Paris only to be halted by their on again off again love interest first must have been a bit peeved. Rachel moving to Paris was a silly plot because of Emma but I've done enough grousing about this already
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    this is such a great thread!

i was watching an episode earlier where Ross has told Rachel that Emily doesn't want them seeing each other anymore, it starts getting weird between them and Rachel says to the others that she's being phased out like Kip was, to which Joey has no idea who he is.

yet in series 1 when Joey and Chandler go to buy a table and have a fight about which one to have Chandler says "Kip would have liked the birds.." and it's implied that Joey already knows about Kip, Chandler's old room-mate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Never mind asking Pheobe who she was and how she was recieving phonecalls for him when they'd never met before. :p

I presume he assumed Phoebe worked in the restaurant.
    Forum Member
    The prom video one was on again and Chandler seemed surprised by how big Monica was .. Buuuuuuuuut it's because of him calling her fat as a teen that she lost all the weight ..... Gripety gripe gripe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flashbacks cause the biggest inconsistencies.

Chandler and Rachel met for the first time in the pilot, then they knew each other from almost getting together in a bar a year before the pilot, then they met during the 80s every year at the Gellar's for thanksgiving, then they kissed during a college party. :D
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prom video one was on again and Chandler seemed surprised by how big Monica was .. Buuuuuuuuut it's because of him calling her fat as a teen that she lost all the weight ..... Gripety gripe gripe

Ah but if he only met her once before then he might've forgotten how fat she was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah but if he only met her once before then he might've forgotten how fat she was.

Except for the fact that they met several times in flashbacks throughout the show's run. :D