RIP Jimmy Savile

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think these unfounded accusations are absolutely horrible.

I also think to suggest he was weird because he never wanted to commit to anyone is horrible as well.

Good on the man for being different and not feeling he had to conform.

I can imagine though, him laughing from above, at all the stupid accusations being made about him.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Is it possible he was winding people up when he said that and playing up to the perception that he was odd?

I think the previous quote about troublemakers at his club was from another era when the police would turn a blind eye to the bouncers "sorting out" a troublemaker. A lot would be to just make people think that something nasty would happen to them if they misbehaved so stories like those would be encouraged.

I suspect there might have been less trouble than now where the drunks go out on the streets, fight, swear at the police and just get trivial punishments if anything at all so they are back the following week.
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I thought your first line meant in the link. It's obvious now that this wasn't the case.

Sorry, zx50, I see how it could have come accross.

Here's praise from a slightly unlikely/unexpected source, Mixmag

http://www.mixmag.net/sir-jimmy-savile-rip

Chris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    Sorry, zx50, I see how it could have come accross.

Here's praise from a slightly unlikely/unexpected source, Mixmag

http://www.mixmag.net/sir-jimmy-savile-rip

Chris.

Not really that unexpected/unlikely.

Jimmy was what could probably be called the first showman DJ. The music may well have been different to what is played today but the principle was the same.

He made the DJ become a point of interest, he made it "cool". I suppose that is why Mixmag are paying tribute to him. Who knows, without JS contribution to the club scene and Djing, Mixmag may not exist!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute to him from the Secretary of the Lochaber Highland Games.

Tribute to Lochaber chieftain Jimmy Savile
  • FBIFBI Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope there is a properly researched biography of the late Sir Jimmy think it would be fascinating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice picture of him in his cottage that I had not seen before.

Lochaber won't forget Sir Jimmy
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think these unfounded accusations are absolutely horrible.

I also think to suggest he was weird because he never wanted to commit to anyone is horrible as well.

Good on the man for being different and not feeling he had to conform.

I can imagine though, him laughing from above, at all the stupid accusations being made about him.

Why don't these people go to the police if its true, that's what I can't understand?

If someone thinks they can save kid/s, and have proof of allegations, why not take it to the authorities rather than to forums?
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »

A lovely tribute, Thanks Chris for posting a nice trubute amongst the rubbish that is elsewhere on this post.
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From today's Popbitch newsletter:

Since Popbitch launched in 2000, we've often been asked which celebrity we'd had most stories about. It's not David Beckham. Nor even Paul Danan. "Jimmy Savile", was always the answer. Among a host of strange rumours is this one, the strangest. Itinvolved Mr Savile, a penchant for necrophilia... and access to the morgue at Leeds General Infirmary which, the story went, he was given in return for his charity work. We've been told this story by probably 100+ people - including two DJs, six journalists and a member of the House of Lords - it was even supposed to be one of Larry Grayson's favourite yarns. But most often it was told to us by a Leeds resident, the Rev Goatboy, late of this parish, who always promised to leave the evidence to support this wild theory with one reliable person, on condition we'd only use it after Savile's death. Sadly, none of us can remember who was supposed to have been the guardian of this evidence. So we have none.

We'll have to add this magnificent rumour to the pantheon of apocraphal celebrity stories for now.

http://www.popbitch.com/home/latestissue/
  • plymeverton1878plymeverton1878 Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Reverend_Goatboy. The amount of stories that guy had was amazing.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sir Jimmy was a great charity fundraiser. BTW have you seen this video of him dancing!? You've never seen anyone dance like this before! RIP Sir Jimmy -> http://youtu.be/g9FZB6OnrzY

Welcome to DS :)

Absolutely brilliant dancing by Jimmy there :D
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    From today's Popbitch newsletter:

Since Popbitch launched in 2000, we've often been asked which celebrity we'd had most stories about. It's not David Beckham. Nor even Paul Danan. "Jimmy Savile", was always the answer. Among a host of strange rumours is this one, the strangest. Itinvolved Mr Savile, a penchant for necrophilia... and access to the morgue at Leeds General Infirmary which, the story went, he was given in return for his charity work. We've been told this story by probably 100+ people - including two DJs, six journalists and a member of the House of Lords - it was even supposed to be one of Larry Grayson's favourite yarns. But most often it was told to us by a Leeds resident, the Rev Goatboy, late of this parish, who always promised to leave the evidence to support this wild theory with one reliable person, on condition we'd only use it after Savile's death. Sadly, none of us can remember who was supposed to have been the guardian of this evidence. So we have none.

We'll have to add this magnificent rumour to the pantheon of apocraphal celebrity stories for now.

http://www.popbitch.com/home/latestissue/

I does look like he was up to something with this morgue business but might not be what people are assuming.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are millions of people across thw world that are porters in hospitals and that deal with dead bodies...Are they all accused of doing obcsene things? Jimmy Savile's job as a porter involved dealing with the living too....Is it because he did a job when he didn't have to? How many famous people do regular voluntary work without cameras around them? He was never seen posing and crying once a year at the Mirror's Britain's hero's thing....Is Popbitch the height of reliability? The main people that write obscene things about Jimmy Savile are also homophobic, think feminism is a communist plot and the John Lennon was murdered as part of a Jewish Conspiricy....Look up T.Stokes, the author of the hit piece on Jimmy Savile....I would trust Sir Jimmy over anyone that writes for Truthseekers.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumped this just to see what was being said at the time of his death. People did seem to be aware back then without the hysteria we are seing now.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    FBI wrote: »
    Many people are going to be very disappointed when there aren't any skeletons in Jimmy Savile's cupboard.

If the rumours are true then Clarence House would have been tipped off - as it was there was a glowing tribute from the Heir to the Throne. Savile was even knighted.

Oh dear.......
  • Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Bumped this just to see what was being said at the time of his death. People did seem to be aware back then without the hysteria we are seing now.

Everyone knew. Literally, everyone. It was all over the net for years, I honestly don't understand how it wasn't investigated.
  • AJ007AJ007 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Benry_Gale wrote: »
    Everyone knew. Literally, everyone. It was all over the net for years, I honestly don't understand how it wasn't investigated.

If it's on the net t must be true!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This is crazy knowing what we know now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Didn't someone suggest in a thread here some months back that some seriously interesting stuff would come out but not until after he'd popped his clogs...?
    Knowing what we know now..........
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Knowing what we know now..........

It's actually on this thread - several posts from about page 4 onwards!!!!

Sorry- sugarpinkloz meant to quote the post you commented on :o
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benry_Gale wrote: »

Errr... NO actually. I didn't know anything about it until it all came out a couple of weeks ago.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really strange reading back the comments and even one of mine, how it's all changed.