Help with HP Printer

Hi

I just got a new printer from argos it is a hp deskjet 2050 j510. However its not allowing me to connect to it and says i need a USB cable :confused::mad: I have a mac book pro and its just not scanning it over the wireless.

If i need a USB a wire does anyone know where i can get one i i have a done some google searches but its taking to odd looking bidding sites.

I really needed to print some work off today for tomorrow now i guess its a library job.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably will need a USB cable to be able to set it up properly for wireless, bit tight not to throw in a USB cable as they're pence, you'll probably get one for a quid or so from amazon or a few quid from argos but ask around people you know as i'm sure someones got one sat in a draw gathering dust
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I am missing something blindingly obvious here the HP 2050 J510 is not a network printer??

According to everything I can find on the HP website it has only USB to connect to a PC, it has neither wired ethernet nor WiFi.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    Hi

I just got a new printer from argos it is a hp deskjet 2050 j510.
    Interesting, Argos don't list the DeskJet 2050 on their site.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Unless I am missing something blindingly obvious here the HP 2050 J510 is not a network printer??

According to everything I can find on the HP website it has only USB to connect to a PC, it has neither wired ethernet nor WiFi.

You are correct, it's USB only.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

Think i might of done that :o I thought all printers these days were Wireless :confused::o Still though why havent HP supplied the wire. I think it is wireless cause it did pop up then when i tried connecting it said i need the USB to start it up maybe.

Found a cheap usb online for £1:89.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something like this would do.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2m-USB-2-0-Cable-Printers/dp/B001IRPJDM/

Also I would doubt the printer is new. it's not listed on Argos' website any more and is not a current HP model. And whenever I've purchased a USB printer there has always been a lead included in the box. I downloaded the set up guide from the HP website and that showed a USB lead as part of the supplied kit of parts.
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    You are correct, it's USB only.

Oh god so old school lol i knew the it was to cheap to be true :cry:
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Have you had a good look inside the printer and the box it came in ? I have never bought a printer that did not come with a cable.
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Have you had a good look inside the printer and the box it came in ? I have never bought a printer that did not come with a cable.

yeah looks everywhere and i youtube some videos on it and Every comment and reviewer said there was no wire supplied :mad:
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    printers commonly don't come with cables these days .... but almost everyone has a usb a2b lying around ... got 3 here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    Oh god so old school lol i knew the it was to cheap to be true :cry:
    I think you have been sold a returned item. I hope they told you that when you got it and didn't try to sell it as new.

What makes me think this is if you look on the Argos website the newest review for that printer is July last year!

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/9293571/reviews.htm

If it was a returned item then the USB lead may have gone AWOL and nobody at Argos bothered to check.

Just double checked the set-up guide. it shows a USB lead but as an optional extra. So ignore the previous sentence :)
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why no cables if printer can only connect by usb?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    why no cables if printer can only connect by usb?
    You obviously haven't bought an HP printer in the past few years. Consumer versions don't come with cables.

OP - just take it back if it's not what you want. Also, it's old stock you've been sold.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    You obviously haven't bought an HP printer in the past few years. Consumer versions don't come with cables.

OP - just take it back if it's not what you want. Also, it's old stock you've been sold.

I am trying to think of how long ago I bought my HP deskjet all in one , maybe 4 years ago ? It was not wireless and a special offer from PC World ( couldn't find it cheaper elsewhere). It came with a cable and I presumed they still did.

I researched that printer and indeed, care of a Wallmart site with Q's and answers, it is not supplied with a USB cable which I find stingy and thoughtless when the machine has no wireless capabilities.

Yes it is an old printer, I have always found Argos very good for returns.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HP never supply PC - Printer cables. That one is USB. You cannot assume Network or Wireless interfaces. They charge more for Models with that.

Stores dump old stock at lower prices, not exactly news.

A USB type A-B is the usual lead, useful to have one anyway even if you get a wireless/network one.

If you no likee, unfit for purpose, blah de blah, then return.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought a new printer from Argos. It was a Canon and that came with a USB lead. I have also just bought my son a HP 1050A printer and that also came with a USB lead as well.
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an Epson XP-405 last week from Amazon and to my surprise it didn't have a usb lead either.

They actually make reference to it in their literature (what there was of it) saying (paraphrasing)" to save themselves some money they don't include a lead as most people will have one lying about!"
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my USB leads in a pound shop. Guess how much? ;)

Two for a pound!

It makes you wonder how much money manufacturers save by not including one.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fortytwo wrote: »
    (paraphrasing)" to save themselves some money they don't include a lead as most people will have one lying about!"

Just looking across at the shelf on which my printer sits, I have about a dozen USB cables of all shapes and sizes :) They just seem to breed :D