Why do people support Conservative?

feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Their policies don't seem to make sense. They just seem to get us in a shit heap of ruination.

I presume conservative supporters are of the upper class?

Just thought I would add balance to a Gordon Clown thread;):D

Comments

• swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I support the Conservative Party of Canada because I want to.

So there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because different people have different needs and different concerns. People choose a party that specifcally target and deals with their needs and concerns the most.
  • monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because different people have different needs and different concerns. People choose a party that specifcally target and deals with their needs and concerns the most.

Quite right. I have hopped from one party to the next, depending upon the circumstances. I voted for Blair the first time, and soon realised I had made a mistake - not that it was a mistake for others to have voted for him then or later, but the party didn't suit my aspirations for the country.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    Their policies don't seem to make sense. They just seem to get us in a shit heap of ruination.

The Cons are the rich mans party and always have been so yes the upper class will vote for them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    The Cons are the rich mans party and always have been so yes the upper class will vote for them

I am not sure that is true - I know a lot of people who have done well for themselves and vote Labour because they believe their social conscience requires them to. It depends I think on so many variables.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »

As will the Essex chancers and wide boys working in the city, who may have grown up on council estates, but like the Tories because they don't enforce any rules stopping them from trouncing on everyone else and putting their metaphorical boots in other people's faces to get to the top.

Trouble was, the 2000s Labour Party felt the need to go after these people as well and not enforce rules either... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    Quite right. I have hopped from one party to the next, depending upon the circumstances. I voted for Blair the first time, and soon realised I had made a mistake - not that it was a mistake for others to have voted for him then or later, but the party didn't suit my aspirations for the country.

My first ever vote was for Blair too. The area I was brought up in was and still is a labour stronghold, and my family all very much labour voters so I didn't really know what I was doing.

Every vote since then my vote has been for the Conservatives as they suit me and my lifestyle best. I've also been a member of the party, and that reminds me- I need to renew my membership. Keep forgetting. Will do that today.

My family just vote for labour because they assume that the conservatives are only for the upper middle and upper classes, which in short is poppycock.

Having lived in both conservative and labour councils- I would never live anywhere that's not a conservative safe seat. I would move area if a labour council got in, thankfully it won't happen.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why anyone supports any political party, when they're all lying shits anyway.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because some of us have lived through more than one labour government and seen the mess they make of things.
  • GeneratorGenerator Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    My first ever vote was for Blair too. The area I was brought up in was and still is a labour stronghold, and my family all very much labour voters so I didn't really know what I was doing.

Every vote since then my vote has been for the Conservatives as they suit me and my lifestyle best. I've also been a member of the party, and that reminds me- I need to renew my membership. Keep forgetting. Will do that today.

My family just vote for labour because they assume that the conservatives are only for the upper middle and upper classes, which in short is poppycock.

Having lived in both conservative and labour councils- I would never live anywhere that's not a conservative safe seat. I would move area if a labour council got in, thankfully it won't happen.

Could you expand on the substantive differences you allude to? Especially in reference to your own experiences living under different councils?

I'm 20 and still in the process of making up my mind in terms of politics. The last few months have seen a lot come together though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People with principles don't vote out of self interest. You'll find it's those who vote for right wing parties that care only for their own circumstances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generator wrote: »
    Could you expand on the substantive differences you allude to? Especially in reference to your own experiences living under different councils?

I'm 20 and still in the process of making up my mind in terms of politics. The last few months have seen a lot come together though.

I promise I will get back to you on this, with pros and cons for both.

My son has just woken up so need to go.

Pm me if I've not done as promised by this eve to give me a nudge.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    I am not sure that is true - I know a lot of people who have done well for themselves and vote Labour because they believe their social conscience requires them to. It depends I think on so many variables.

Exactly - the stereotypes that Labour supporters are all working class - while conservative supporters are middle to upper class doesn't ring true in my experience.

I will vote for whichever party whose manifesto I feel best represents my interests or what I feel are in the best interests of the country. So far I have voted both Conservative and Lib Dem at different times.

I have a working class background. My mum voted for Thatcher, as did I believe her parents (all working class people)
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fear, stupidity, greed or any combination therein. Those that deny it are liars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do find that Tory councils are run better and don't tend to waste as much money as the Labour ones, may just be my experience, and there may be reasons for it, but its just my experience.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I vote Conservative because every Labour govt that I've experienced, from Wilson in the 60s, Wilson & Callaghan in the 70s and then Blair + Brown last time round has left the country in a massive hole that requires the Conservative party to come along and fix it. And because patching up the country after Labour have screwed everything up isn't an easy job and can't be done without some fallout, the great unwashed blame the Tories for everything that's wrong and then vote Labour in again.

I could sort of understand Blair being elected after 18 years of Tory govt, but for the country to then vote in a new govt in 2005 that was blindingly obvious to all was going to be led by Brown, and then nearly voted them in again in 2010 makes me wonder if some people are too dense to be allowed to vote. In 2 years time when things have picked up Milliband will get in and start the rot all over again, p!ssing money up the wall like it's going out of fashion in an attempt to win votes.

I vote Tory based on the bitter experience of what the alternative does to country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I believe that I should choose how to spend my own money, based on the priorities in my life, hence I support a party that believes in low taxation.

I am also morally opposed to state subsidisation and support private industry and the free market. Ultimately, the market always sorts itself out, even if it does have blips along the way.

I don't believe in the redistribution of capital. If you earn your income, you should be allowed to keep it.

Although no fan of the EU, I believe it would be economic suicide to leave it, but I cannot support joining the Euro.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The Tory ideology, Thatcherism especially, appealed to the most base of human instincts i.e. "I'm alright and **** everyone else". It's no surprise people fall for it.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have four grandchildren and what them to grow up with a good education, a welfare state and NHS. I therefore vote tory.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    HungerCult wrote: »
    People with principles don't vote out of self interest. You'll find it's those who vote for right wing parties that care only for their own circumstances.
    Not true. Not one bit of it.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I have four grandchildren and what them to grow up with a good education, a welfare state and NHS. I therefore vote tory.

You're trying too hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »

I suspect it's because Labour have failed twice in succession to run this country, and took this country to the brink of bankruptcy. During their last administration they gave up a boom economy by borrowing more and more money. Their accounts were an utter mess!
    They are never to be trusted again.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

It's such a shame when people are selfish like that. :(
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    All the Tory voters I've known in my life have been repellent people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the Tory voters I've known in my life have been repellent people.

All of them????? Goodness!