Comments

• Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprising but a little disappointing (and I'm no fan of multi doctor stories) wonder if this news makes it more likely that DT is playing human 10
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how some people are moaning and deciding their gonna boycott the special.

Geez let's at least give it a chance.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha- yes those empty old 'boycott' posts when you know full well theyll be sat in front of the TV dressed in full cos-play and drooling like the rest of us....(well maybe not the cos-play).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And as predicted the equation doth come true....

Fans hype themselves up about something they want to happen
    Convince themselves it will
    When it doesnt blame the writer and the production team who made no such promises in the first place. Brilliant.

Anyway I am sure we will see glimpses of the past doctors some how. I suppose this just confirms that they wont be filming new scenes and are not under contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even sure how you could even get all the Doctor's in the show and do it justice.

People are complaining how the current episodes are feeling rushed, well this would be on a whole different level of rushed.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Anyway I am sure we will see glimpses of the past doctors some how. I suppose this just confirms that they wont be filming new scenes and are not under contract.

Yes, just because they won't be returning doesn't mean they won't be acknowledged in some way.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    I'm not even sure how you could even get all the Doctor's in the show and do it justice.

People are complaining how the current episodes are feeling rushed, well this would be on a whole different level of rushed.
    Indeed. There's no way they could ever do justice to eleven distinct versions of the central character plus a load of companions, villains and supporting characters in the anniversary special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There we go again, rolling out Moffats future quote. If there is any time for a fanfest focusing on the past it should be the Anniversary! We should be looking forward in the actual series.

Sad to hear this confirmation though. Oh well. There is always the 10th anniversary! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is the pertinent point. Now obviously Moffat is a showrunner and respected writer/all round genius and not many have his talent or skill. But nowhere have I read even one attempt by the people calling for the old Doctors to return to explain HOW they suggest this could be done.

It is all I want I want I want without any thought being paid to the why, what and how of it. I even asked in one thread for people to post ideas how it could be done and not one person replied.

Moffat is not a miracle worker. So I will again repeat my challenge as I am genuinely interested...you are the writer of the 50th. You have a maximum of 90 minutes (even this is being generous). You want all the old Doctors back....go!

Oh and dont forget you have to set up a standalone story with a plausible threat, an engaging villain, some character development and a satisfactory resolution!
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,924
    Forum Member
    A shame in some respects, but hardly unexpected.
    The article says that Christopher Eccleston was unable to do it, not that he declined to do it, which is good to know, if a pity.
    Having at least all the 21st century Doctors there would have been good.
    As has been said, I'm sure the Doctors who aren't actually appearing "in the flesh" will be represented on screen in some form or other.
    :)
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    It's a shame the BBC didn't decide to do a series of "missing episodes" one for each Doctor (maybe with a story arc?). They could even have made them CGI it to get past the ageing and/or total existance failure of some of the main cast.

I must admit that with David Bradley running round as the first Doctor in an early TARDIS that the BBC might have used him in the 50th anniversary special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the pertinent point. Now obviously Moffat is a showrunner and respected writer/all round genius and not many have his talent or skill. But nowhere have I read even one attempt by the people calling for the old Doctors to return to explain HOW they suggest this could be done.

It is all I want I want I want without any thought being paid to the why, what and how of it. I even asked in one thread for people to post ideas how it could be done and not one person replied.

Moffat is not a miracle worker. So I will again repeat my challenge as I am genuinely interested...you are the writer of the 50th. You have a maximum of 90 minutes (even this is being generous). You want all the old Doctors back....go!

Oh and dont forget you have to set up a standalone story with a plausible threat, an engaging villain, some character development and a satisfactory resolution!

Did you see that tumble weed go past....

People are always quick to complain like you say, but never have a good suggestion, heck even a suggestion.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moffat is not a miracle worker. So I will again repeat my challenge as I am genuinely interested...you are the writer of the 50th. You have a maximum of 90 minutes (even this is being generous)!

I'm interested in your comment here, because I don't believe 90 minutes is particularly generous. Steven Moffat promised more Doctor Who in 2013 than ever before, but its demonstrably untrue and really amounts to a single 90 minute special.

In terms of your challenge, I never expected or wanted a parade of returning characters, but neither did I want the only returning doctor to be the last one before Smith. But there are definitely ways and means of bringing in classic doctors - see the 45 minute Star Trek Deep Space Nine episode, Trials and Tribulations.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There we go again, rolling out Moffats future quote. If there is any time for a fanfest focusing on the past it should be the Anniversary! We should be looking forward in the actual series.

Sad to hear this confirmation though. Oh well. There is always the 10th anniversary! ;)

We had that in 1973.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member

People are always quick to complain like you say, but never have a good suggestion, heck even a suggestion.

Actually theres an old fourth Doctor comic strip from the days of Doctor Who Weekly where the TARDIS gets "swallowed" by some giant time jellyfish creature and as it feeds the Doctor gets younger and younger and reverts to his previous incarnations. I think in the story, the moment the first Doctor throws the switch to switch the TARDIS on for the first is what eventually bring about the creatures death (too complicated to explain here).

Stick some emergency "time shield" braclet on the current companion so they don't de-age to death and theres your adventure with all Doctor's as he races to save himself and the TARDIS.

Of course it's not big or spectacular so it would be hated for being too cheap and only set on the TARDIS, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with this. They're telling a story, not throwing a party.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had that in 1973.

The anniversary of the New Series. ;)

I know we're not going to have a celebration. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll do it! I'll rise to the challenge! :D

Robots. They don't even look like the Doctors. Humanoid robots in the Doctors costumes with the voices of the actual actors. The 'real' Doctors are elsewhere piloting the robots so we only hear their voices.

If you are curious, I can go into more detail.

A lot more detail. :D

That actually sounds creepy. What I mean is I can explain the whole story idea if you want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Why rehash the same multi Doctor story for a third time. Moffat is doing something different to celebrate. I say good on him. This time he isn't to blame for the over hype regarding a multi Doc story, it's the fans themselves. Too many people convinced themselves it would happen when there was never anything to suggest it was on the cards.

Just sit back and enjoy what we are given. If you don't like it when it airs complain then. But the amount of people saying it'll be horrid when it isn't even half made yet astounds me.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,079
    Forum Member

McGann doesn't look radically different from 1996, Sly McCoy does look older but for some reason I don't think it matters with his Doctor. Only the two Bakers would have been a real struggle to include.

And what of companions? They are human, human's age so including any of the surviving Classic Series companion's wouldn't have been a difficult thing to do.

What a shame, this is turning out to be no celebration of a 50-year old series.
  • drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    HALLLLLEEEEEELLUUUUUJAAAHHHHH! (and phew)
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drtwelve wrote: »
    HALLLLLEEEEEELLUUUUUJAAAHHHHH! (and phew)

Yeah, and with an extra Whoop de whoop whoop thrown in for good measure :)

I hope the special celebrates the fifty years with a good, solid story with a nod to the past - and a look ahead to the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things is, some people will still say that official confirmation in the official magazine could be a red herring, and that they're obviously hiding something.

Red herring...to the face! *slap*
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things is, some people will still say that official confirmation in the official magazine could be a red herring, and that they're obviously hiding something.

Red herring...to the face! *slap*

Ouch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I'm interested in your comment here, because I don't believe 90 minutes is particularly generous. Steven Moffat promised more Doctor Who in 2013 than ever before, but its demonstrably untrue and really amounts to a single 90 minute special.

Sorry I meant generous with regards to what we are realistically likely to be getting with regards the running time. 90 minutes is probably longer than we will get.

I agree it should be at least feature length but I dont see this as Moffats fault. He has been allocated a budget and a time slot. He doesn't have free reign to do whatever he wants.