Square Enix loses some Gil, defeats boss

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/26/square-enix-president-yoichi-wada-steps-down

I knew they shouldn't have had that Final Fantasy sale back in January.

The sales for Sleeping Dogs were somewhat underwhelming, as I remember, and there's also the ongoing Final Fantasy XIV debacle (which, to give them their due, they are working to put right rather than abandoning).

Speaking more generally, Square Enix is a damaged brand and there's been a lot of discontent among their fanbase of late. Some of it comes from the ridiculous "I don't like this game, why won't it resurrect my grandmother?" school of criticism, but some of it is completely justified, such as the flack they got over Final Fantasy: All the Bravest. The recent wave of industry problems is not confined to Japan, of course, but Japanese developers do seem to inspire that extra degree of loyalty in their fans.

Overall, though, it's pretty sad to see a legendary developer facing these sorts of problems, even with the hideousness of titles like All the Bravest taken into account. Their next big release seems to be Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, so let's hope that a) it's good and b) it turns around Squenix's fortunes.

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I have nothing else to say except cool thread title!!
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    can someone please tell me the tomb raider sequel will be alright:confused:

if square enix is gone will tomb raider also be bowing out I hope not:(
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Square Enix is one of the most decent publishers out there, I hope they don't start changing the way they work.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic thread title :-D

I hope they will work it out though and make a decent final fantasy game soon.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Square Enix is one of the most decent publishers out there, I hope they don't start changing the way they work.

I think they have become a much better publisher than studio, I can't imagine how much money they have pumped into games like Versus XIII, and the disaster of XIV. The only reason we are getting 3 XIII games is because they spent so long building the engine and didn't get the financial return on XIII. It's really sad, they made some of my favourite games. But this gen hasn't been kind to them. Even sales for Tomb Raider and Hitman have fallen well short of expectations. There is something weird going on at that company. They are all over the place.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I'm just amazed that they consider 3.4 MILLION Sales in ONE MONTH a failure, what were the expectations? Tomb Raider continues to sell well to so to see them be all miserable about it is very surprising.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been some crazy expectations for sales this generation. I remember in 2007/8 there were reports that Konami needed to sell 1M copies of MGS4 on day 1 to make a profit which is nuts. They managed it but still...

Squeenix should be happy that Tomb Raider, Hitman: Absolution and Sleeping Dogs all managed to sell better than Enslaved which failed to shift 500k copies in 3 months.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic thread title :-D

I hope they will work it out though and make a decent final fantasy game soon.

Or just release FFX on all the platforms not just the ps3 as it seems their doing.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With aggressive Day One DLC like Take2 they were never going to be popular on the business side. They should start focusing more on their games and not DLC, then they might earn some respect and loyalty, which brings wealth.
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    I have nothing else to say except cool thread title!!

It is a funny title.

Square Enix does "produce" (own, promote, market, distribution) some really good stuff, but (as far as I have needed to paid attention) they are really just customer relations guys (promo-distributors) not actual producers... and that is where the titles I "follow" fail.

I could definitely be wrong about where they are in the chain. But if I'm correct then I feel it's all for the best. These non-productive "producers" need to go away altogether.

Long Live Workers Control!
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Or just release FFX on all the platforms not just the ps3 as it seems their doing.

I don't know anything about porting games but maybe they think it will be too much effort, or it could be something more technical, or both. Final Fantasy sells more on Playstation, 13 sold twice as much on PS than it did on 360, plus the 360 is nearly non-existant in Japan, it might not be worth it.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Thread Title :)

FFX was exclusive to the Playstation, so it was never gong to appear on any other system tbh. Looking forward to playing all over again (PS3 and Vita)

Although XIII was linear to begin with, I really loved the world and platinumed both XIII & XIII-2.