Frazer Hines wants full-time return to Doctor Who

TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
Forum Member
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343026

yes, yes a thousand times yes, bring back jamie :-)

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where can you start one of them petition thingies?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not as Jamie, but that would be brilliant. He's a top bloke.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think he's fab but a fulltime return wouldn't make sense, not really.

However, he definitely should be in the 50th.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well a full time return as Jamie is never ever, ever, ever going to happen.

Now a one-off return... YES please!
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, an out of work, has been actor, wants a well paid job on a massive BBC show.
    Who'd have thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    He's so youthful, I think he would be great! Never going to happen though, unfortunately.:(
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably needs the work, poor love.

Alas, they killed off his character in Emmerdale, so no return there.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    However, he definitely should be in the 50th.

If he did return, he wouldn't really remember who the Doctor is, as both Jamie's and Zoe's memories of the Doctor were wiped from their minds by the Time Lords. Only their first encounter with the Doctor was kept in their minds, eg. Jamie - The Battle of Colludon and Zoe - The Wheel, and the Cybermen trying to take control of it. That's all.

Fans that have only been watching Doctor Who since 2005, would be confused by his prescence. They would find him boring too. Particularly teenage fans and those in their early twenties.

I know who Jamie is, as I've read a lot of things on the Internet over the years. Plus I've got a lot of Doctor Who books, and I've got all the Second Doctor stories that have been released on DVD so far.

One of my all-time favourite Who stories to feature Frazer, is The Two Doctors from early 1985. :) This has a great script and a great cast. Jacqueline Pearce is excellent! :cool: Most of the cast are, in fact. The music is good, and the Spanish setting is just as good. :)

I may watch that again this week, now I'm thinking about it again. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Well a full time return as Jamie is never ever, ever, ever going to happen.

Now a one-off return... YES please!

I agree 100%
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bringing him back as a full-time companion would be a backwards move. I don't think old companions should come back, other than for brief appearances.

He should certainly be a part of the 50th anniversary celebrations though. As the linked item stated, he's the longest serving companion by some way and served longer even than any of the post-Tom Baker Doctors (measured in episode count).
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    If he did return, he wouldn't really remember who the Doctor is, as both Jamie's and Zoe's memories of the Doctor were wiped from their minds by the Time Lords.

Assuming the Time Lords didn't do a sloppy job of it..! ;)
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Although having said that, they could do a story about the Highland Clearances, which would have Jamie at just the right age to be played by Frazer Hines now.

We've had the story where an old companion meets a current doctor, now we could have the current Doctor meet an old companion who doesn't recognise him but who the Doctor recognises.

Having said that, Jamie could have suffered from strange nightmares for the past forty years...! Which would give the Doctor an interesting decidion to make - does he complete what the Time Lords started and wipe his memory properly, or should he give Jamie his true memories back..?
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fans that have only been watching Doctor Who since 2005, would be confused by his prescence. They would find him boring too. Particularly teenage fans and those in their early twenties.

I'm a teenager and I know who Jamie is, but then of course I'm a fan. But the general audience coped perfectly well with Sarah Jane's return, as they also do with the many soap characters that return permanently decades after leaving as well. And that's not even mentioning The Brig and Jo returning in a show designed for children born decades after the UNIT years aired either.

Personally I do think it's time another classic series companion was brought back (especially considering what year it is). It's been seven years since the last, and sadly with Elisabeth's death, our Sarah Jane link to the past has gone forever now as well. Now Jamie's not a favourite of mine, but with him being the longest serving companion, and Frazier's Emmerdale fame, he does seem like he would be a logical choice of returnee.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Sorry Tigger, but I am 21 and Jamie is a brilliant companion :p
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Although having said that, they could do a story about the Highland Clearances, which would have Jamie at just the right age to be played by Frazer Hines now.

We've had the story where an old companion meets a current doctor, now we could have the current Doctor meet an old companion who doesn't recognise him but who the Doctor recognises.

Having said that, Jamie could have suffered from strange nightmares for the past forty years...! Which would give the Doctor an interesting decidion to make - does he complete what the Time Lords started and wipe his memory properly, or should he give Jamie his true memories back..?
    Nice idea.
  • FATCHOPSFATCHOPS Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    I'm a teenager and I know who Jamie is, but then of course I'm a fan. But the general audience coped perfectly well with Sarah Jane's return, as they also do with the many soap characters that return permanently decades after leaving as well. And that's not even mentioning The Brig and Jo returning in a show designed for children born decades after the UNIT years aired either.

Personally I do think it's time another classic series companion was brought back (especially considering what year it is). It's been seven years since the last, and sadly with Elisabeth's death, our Sarah Jane link to the past has gone forever now as well. Now Jamie's not a favourite of mine, but with him being the longest serving companion, and Frazier's Emmerdale fame, he does seem like he would be a logical choice of returnee.

I've always wanted the Doctor to visit old companions. I loved School Reunion. This is how I always imagined Jamie cod come back. Driven mad by his nightmares, exiled by his people. He could travel for a couple of adventures restoring his memories then have a happy ending. After what he had to do for Donna it might make him feel better.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,081
    Forum Member
    Wow, an out of work, has been actor, wants a well paid job on a massive BBC show.
    Who'd have thought.

That's a bit rude don't you think?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    If he did return, he wouldn't really remember who the Doctor is, as both Jamie's and Zoe's memories of the Doctor were wiped from their minds by the Time Lords. Only their first encounter with the Doctor was kept in their minds, eg. Jamie - The Battle of Colludon and Zoe - The Wheel, and the Cybermen trying to take control of it. That's all.
    Actually... http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/season6b.shtml
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »

Yes, 6B fits nicely with the current theme of memory loss, doesn't it?

:)

A rich seam for the Moff to mine for the 50th?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally, I don't think Companions should return, but of course there is a right way to do things (like with Sarah Jane), and a wrong way (like with Rose), but a full time return should never be done.

Could Jamie return? I could see something like that; the Doctor and Clara find themselves in Scotland and dealing with some sort of alien-thing, and of course, the much-older Jamie is involved.

While Jamie doesn't remember his travels with the Doctor, he'd still remember of the events of "The Highlanders", and still have memories of the funny old man with the blue box, and later ruminates on what life would have been like had he traveled with him.

Angst for the Doctor would be assured.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Hines could come back as a new character who isn't Jamie, just like
    Jacqueline Hill in "Meglos".
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Who'd have thought.

He's not out of work. Apart from regular Big Finish audios and DVD commentaries, he seems to be involved in three films currently (according to IMDB). One in pre-production, one filming now and one in post-production.
  • Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Hines could come back as a new character who isn't Jamie, just like
    Jacqueline Hill in "Meglos".
    Yes, but then you can't have him back as Jamie, which seems a bit of a shame....or not. Unless he's heavily disguised as a monster....in bubble wrap.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    He does an excellent impression of Patrick Troughton, actually. He could come back as the audio-only ghost of the second doctor :D
  • lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Jamie lost his memory in The War Games, although obviously there may be ways around it....