How much does it cost to fix a camera nowadays?

I bought a Cannon IXUS 230 about 18 months ago and it broke on holiday a few weeks ago. It is a compact point and click camera and I think the only thing wrong with it is the lens is stuck. It won't go back in properly (gets stuck half way through the tests it goes through when turned on) which makes the camera attempt a restart.

Anyone have any idea how much similar things like this cost to fix? This seems like an easy thing to fix (must just be the motor or something), but I know sometimes even small fixes cost more than a new camera. The camera cost £180 when I got it so I don't really want to have to just buy a new one. If cameras lose value so quickly, perhaps I can just buy a similar model again for half the price. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime I'll check amazon's warranty... just in case ;)

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edindie wrote: »
    I bought a Cannon IXUS 230 about 18 months ago and it broke on holiday a few weeks ago. It is a compact point and click camera and I think the only thing wrong with it is the lens is stuck. It won't go back in properly (gets stuck half way through the tests it goes through when turned on) which makes the camera attempt a restart.

This seems like an easy thing to fix (must just be the motor or something), but I know sometimes even small fixes cost more than a new camera. The camera cost £180 when I got it so I don't really want to have to just buy a new one. If cameras lose value so quickly, perhaps I can just buy a similar model again for half the price. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime I'll check amazon's warranty... just in case ;)

Your first move would be to contact the vendor. With normal use you should get more than eighteen months use out of a camera.

To know exactly where you stand before this gets into a long discussion as to what you should or should not get, ring the Environmental Health/Trading Standards Department, (they are usually combined now) at your local council and ask them exactly what are your rights under the Sale of Goods Act, before you contact the supplier. As a retired retail general manager and reasonably familiar with the act, I've had a great deal of success with getting faulty goods replaced, long after the guarantee periods have expired, sometimes by a few years.
    A courteous approach to the vendor, can make all the difference.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess (from experience of authorised Canon repair centre): £100+

If it got sand or water in it, you can forget getting it repaired under guarantee. While I wouldn't really expect any camera to survive the beach if you're careless, I found my compact Canon only survived for a few minutes while my Fuji is still going after seven years - and the Canon was treated more carefully. In all other respects the Canon was a better camera, but the lens mechanism seems less than robust.

Cheers,
    David.
  • edindieedindie Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I never went to any beach / sea place with this camera so there shouldn't be any sand / salt in the workings. I'll try contacting them and appealing to their better nature! Thanks guys.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    edindie wrote: »
    I never went to any beach / sea place with this camera so there shouldn't be any sand / salt in the workings. I'll try contacting them and appealing to their better nature! Thanks guys.

Certainly worth a try, but I imagine it's likely they will claim it's been dropped (which could very easily be the case anyway) - and probably would even if it was under guarantee.