Just Lost 70 Freeview channels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
Forum Member
I had been receiving in excess of 100 freeview TV channels, then in the early hours around 1am today 18th April. I noticed some channels showed no signal, so I did a reboot and then re-scanned for all TV channels, now I can only get 33 Freeview channels, over 70 channels have gone AWOL. It's definitely something to do with the digital switchover, I'm on the Crystal Palace transmitter in London, but where have all my favorite channels gone, no Film 4, no Dave TV. I'm crying in my beer!

Comments

• Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Just wait - they will be back as soon as the engineers have done their work. These things do take time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    [update] you were absolutely right, now back with all Freeview channels, so I guess it took around 4 hours to get them all back, thanks!
  • hdtvfan20hdtvfan20 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    all freeview channels are back. The CP TX was switched off at around 1 am with freeview gone until 3am this morning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a similar problem here in Poole... and annoyingly it's the channels that we watch loads that have gone... I noticed that they were off this morning, and knew that there was a retune due (not sure why given we changed fully over a few weeks back but there we go) so retuned, and they went missing from the EPG. Oh well, thinks I, just wait it out and see. Have just done another retune and they're still not here :(

From what I can gather, I get my signal from a relay transmitter in Poole rather than the main one for this area. Just wondering if it's a main problem or if it's something that needs to be done with the aerial or something (which'd be difficult given that this is a block of student halls!)

TIA :)
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    I've got a similar problem here in Poole... and annoyingly it's the channels that we watch loads that have gone... I noticed that they were off this morning, and knew that there was a retune due (not sure why given we changed fully over a few weeks back but there we go) so retuned, and they went missing from the EPG. Oh well, thinks I, just wait it out and see. Have just done another retune and they're still not here :(

From what I can gather, I get my signal from a relay transmitter in Poole rather than the main one for this area. Just wondering if it's a main problem or if it's something that needs to be done with the aerial or something (which'd be difficult given that this is a block of student halls!)

TIA :)

I suspect amongst the channels that are now missing are:-

ITV 3 (Ch 10), Pick TV (Ch 11) and Yesterday (Ch 12)

If Yesterday is there, but the other two are not, then I can tell you exactly what's wrong ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll go and have a check...

I know Pick TV is missing, as is Dave and E4+1 (the three channels we watch quite regularly... not sure why we watch E4+1 and not E4 itself...)

Yes, Yesterday is there :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    I'll go and have a check...

I know Pick TV is missing, as is Dave and E4+1 (the three channels we watch quite regularly... not sure why we watch E4+1 and not E4 itself...)

Yes, Yesterday is there :)

Yep.

Your communial system needs adjustment, and it's using Rowridge. The filtering requires adjustment to allow through the three COM muxes that changed UHF positions overnight.

Up until March 8th, you probably had all four analogues:-

C4 UHF 21
    BBC 2 UHF 24
    ITV UHF 27
    BBC 1 UHF 31

Plus the six muxes that were:-

BBC A UHF 34
    ITV/4 UHF 32
    BBC B UHF 28
    SDN UHF 30
    MUX C UHF 37
    MUX D UHF 33

At Rowridge DSO 1 on March 7th all would have been fine,
    because BBC A moved from UHF 34 to where BBC 2 analogue had been (UHF 24), so no problem for the system filters, no new allocations were used.

At DSO 2 on March 21st, still no problem, because ITV/4 Mux moved from UHF 32 to where ITV analogue had been, UHF 27. Mux B also converted to the HD Mux and moved to C4's old postion of UHF 21.

So all has been fine until today.

Yesterday is on Mux D (renamed Arq B after DSO) that moved last night to UHF 28, where BBC B was until March 21st. No problem still.

However the other two muxes (SDN and Arq A) have moved to UHF 25 and 22, those two allocations are new to Rowridge (well, they were used up until 2009, but never mind that now :p ) so the filtering in your block of flats needs to be adjusted to pass them.

You need to get on to the landlords, no one in the block is likely to be receiving them via the system either, so get them to 'gang up' to help get it fixed !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks for that :)

How simple it all seems...

I'll pass on the info to them tomorrow when they open... and if they don't do anything, get everybody else in the building to do exactly the same! In the meantime I guess it's tvcatchup for me :D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi Mark C
    I have the same problem but do not live in a block of flats. my signal is from Rowridge and I live just outside Poole will a simple retune solve the problem or is it going to be more complicated? My aerial is fed straight into my TV.

Thanks

Mike
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theabbot wrote: »
    Hi Mark C
    I have the same problem but do not live in a block of flats. my signal is from Rowridge and I live just outside Poole will a simple retune solve the problem or is it going to be more complicated? My aerial is fed straight into my TV.

Thanks

Mike

A simple retune should indeed solve your problem, give it a go !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I lost ALL Freeview channels today, but that's because I have an antique ONdigital set-top box from over ten years ago... :eek:

I guess the box is now next to useless.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oui, doesn't support 8k mode.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SPØT wrote: »
    I lost ALL Freeview channels today, but that's because I have an antique ONdigital set-top box from over ten years ago... :eek:

Well at least you can say you made maximum use out of it :p

Now go and treat yourself to a lovely new Freeview HD box and marvel at the improved performance and functions!
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Oui, doesn't support 8k mode.

After re-tuning half a dozen times with an internal aerial pointing at different directions and angles and getting zero channels, I did a serach on "Nokia Mediamaster 9850T" and discovered the fact in this document from DigitalUK:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/21057/For_website_2K_only_models_ex_volumes_revised-18Apr12.pdf

Has it really been that long since terrestrial digital was introduced ? :o
    Forum Member
    Well at least you can say you made maximum use out of it :p

Yes I did; a few buttons on the remote are well worn out but still functional.

Now go and treat yourself to a lovely new Freeview HD box and marvel at the improved performance and functions!

My TV is another near-antique, a 32" CRT Toshiba from 12 years ago, so no HD and no HDMI input.

Now watching TV on my dinky laptop with an old Hauppauge USB TV stick...

Instead of getting a new ordinary Freeview tuner, I think I have seen DVB-T tuner boxes from computer stores with external hard disk and other media connectivity features for under £50.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After re-tuning half a dozen times with an internal aerial pointing at different directions and angles and getting zero channels, I did a serach on "Nokia Mediamaster 9850T" and discovered the fact in this document from DigitalUK:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/21057/For_website_2K_only_models_ex_volumes_revised-18Apr12.pdf

Of the 6 available on ebay 4 of them are described as "fully operational and functions as intended".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Of the 6 available on ebay 4 of them are described as "fully operational and functions as intended".

Yes, only if you use it in Kent, E, Sussex, the NE of England, or NI !

I deliberately destroyed my OnD box, before taking it to the tip, to make sure it didn't end up back 'on the market'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »

Caveat Emptor. Always.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Mark C
    Thanks for advice, retuned now all OK.

Mike:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, professional and detailed assistance in this thread. We're really lucky to have access to such helpful bods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi!
    I'm using the Nokia MediaMater 9850 T ONdigital box, and i randomly lost all of channels.
    I've tried using the add and store options in the menu section but nothing seems to work.
    Pls does anyone know how to solve this prblem
    Big thanx in advance
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    VBee wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm using the Nokia MediaMater 9850 T ONdigital box, and i randomly lost all of channels.
    I've tried using the add and store options in the menu section but nothing seems to work.
    Big thanx in advance

You need a new Freeview box as this one is not compatible after the DSO as it can't decode 8k. Please see attached list.

• lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VBee wrote: »
    Hi!
    Big thanx in advance

I am afraid your Nokia MediaMaster 9850T is now defunct as it does not support 8K mode. A fuller list of those old boxes which will not work after the final changeover is here.

Time for a new box I am afraid. If you have a HD ready television (with an HDMI socket), you can get a HD box from about £30 which is a good investment against future changes, otherwise new cheap and cheerful SD boxes start around £15. If you have an older tv without even a SCART socket, the box will be more expensive and you will be limited in choice.
  • doinitwrongdoinitwrong Posts: 423
    Forum Member

It sure sucks to be an early adopter doesn't it? :rolleyes::D