Advice please how to send large file by email

cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
I have some documents I want to send by email I started writing them in Wordpad, and saving to My Documents. It is in sections. All together I have 60KB to send.

I would if possible like to send it in one go, rather that copy and past a page to email seperately. As it will need changing where I am sending, I didn't want to get it printed off.

Is there a way I can do this in one go like an attachemnt?. Sorry for my ignorance. I have sent a page before like that, as attachment

I have Internet Exployer 8 and using Windows xp I also using BT. Yahoo

Comments

• DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    60kb? that's certainly small enough to send.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Most email services will handle attachments up to 10,000KB. so that is not the problem.

you can send multiple attachments with one email. look for the paper clip icon maybe in your composer. attach them one by one.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest way of sending several documents as one attachment is to place them all into a folder then compress the folder into a .zip or .rar file and send that.
    So it's one attachment containing several documents

You can't send the folder (without compressing) as created as it would appear to the recipient as a .lnk (link) which only exists on your PC
  • cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Most email services will handle attachments up to 10,000KB. so that is not the problem.

you can send multiple attachments with one email. look for the paper clip icon maybe in your composer. attach them one by one.

Yes thanks, I was just hoping to send it all together in one go
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cal4751 wrote: »
    Yes thanks, I was just hoping to send it all together in one go
    That is what flagpole was saying. You can attach multiple files to one e-mail message then they all go as one.

You simply do whatever you need to do to attach a file to a message but instead of clicking on a single file you select all the files you need (press and hold Ctrl and click on each file to highlight them) then click OK and they should all appear listed in the attachments bar on the message.

And your recipient should get a single e-mail with all the files attached.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Remember that email is inherently insecure, so if confidentiality matters here, I'd encrypt the folder and all its contents into say a single 7-zip archive (one file), password protected.

7-zip is open source/freeware and is here (you and the other person will need it, it's a doddle to install): http://www.7-zip.org/
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure the files are only 60 KB? That's a very small Word file. You might be meaning 60 MB which would be a problem for most email systems.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only the people i support would see 60kb as a large email, one person was moaning at us that our mail server rejected them sending a 205MB file and would not have it that attachments that large should not be emailed. So i upped our send size limit and said go ahead and laughed when the receiving end rejected it because it was too large :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Are you sure the files are only 60 KB? That's a very small Word file. You might be meaning 60 MB which would be a problem for most email systems.

It 's 60 KB I clicked on it. I wanted to know in advance, as I'am still working on the documents, for another week or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your advice. I'am still working on the documents at the moment.,

The person I'am going to send it to said , when I sent them an attached file the other week, they said they couldn't use Rich Text Document, and asked me next time to send PDF. I am now really confused.

If anyone can help and give very simple directions, I'am still learning.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's minute, not even small, let alone large! All e-mail providers that allow attachments (them all I think) will be able to send and receive that.

Most have a limit of like 10 or 20mb worth of attachments per e-mail.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first poster was talking in tens of MegaBytes from the thread title before I entered the thread.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    OP, don't you have MS Word? If not I suggest you download either of these free alternatives, Open Office or LibreOffice. You can create word documents in .doc format which is supported by MS Word, which is doubtless what your recipient has.

Be careful when you download that you don't download any toolbars or any other software that may be offered at the same time.

Open Office 4.0: http://www.openoffice.org/download/
    LibreOffice 4.0: http://www.libreoffice.org/features/

Just out of interest what do you mean when you say the document is in sections?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    OP, don't you have MS Word? If not I suggest you download either of these free alternatives, Open Office or LibreOffice. You can create word documents in .doc format which is supported by MS Word.

Be careful when you download that you don't download any toolbars or any other software that may be offered at the same time.

Open Office 4.0: http://www.openoffice.org/download/
    LibreOffice 4.0: http://www.libreoffice.org/features/

Thanks evil c will that use a lot of memory. My laptop only has 1GB, as I dont use it for downloading music or films.
    I've no MS word.
    Forum Member
    Err, I'm not with you. 1GB is the RAM (memory). The Office software will be stored on your hard disk. You only use the memory when you are working and 1GB is plenty. How much free space do you have on your hard disk? You need 164MB for OpenOffice and 205MB for LibreOffice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err, I'm not with you. 1GB is the RAM (memory). The Office software will be stored on your hard disk.

Sorry I was just worrying about my laptop slowing down, as I installed a while back Google Chrome.by accident, and it seemed slower. Please excuse my knowledge of computers. I would get a minus g. in exams:D
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of online resources available for you to learn what to do. The quicker you learn the better you will be able to use what you have. It's a good idea when you are new to computers to keep careful notes of what you do as you are bound to forget and then wonder what you did last time.

Do you still have Chrome or did you uninstall it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of online resources available for you to learn what to do. The quicker you learn the better you will be able to use what you have. It's a good idea when you are new to computers to keep careful notes of what you do as you are bound to forget and then wonder what you did last time.
    Do you still have Chrome or did you uninstall it?

I agree with you about the studying part.

I have 32.2 GB on my hard disk. I uninstalled Chrome.
    Forum Member
    Well then, you have plenty of space to store either of the free Office Suites and plenty of memory to be able to work on the documents. If your computer is running slowly, do you regularly run Scan Disk and defrag your hard drive? Do you have a program to rid you of all the internet files that you accumulate when you surf?

If you don't already have it then CCleaner is ideal for this: http://ccleaner.softm8.com/

There are some free computer basics tutorials from the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/courses/
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cal4751 wrote: »
    It 's 60 KB I clicked on it. I wanted to know in advance, as I'am still working on the documents, for another week or so.

In which case don't worry about it. Word documents take up about 10-15k per page (as long as there are no big embedded images). You'd have to get up to thousands of pages before you had a problem with size limits - and even then you could zip it up as Word documents compress down well
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Would be a good investment to up your ram to 2GB if your motherboard supports it. 1GB is a little on the low side even for XP. May entail just buying one stick of 1GB memory or if only got one slot replacing it with a 2GB stick of same spec as fitted now.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Gb of memory is very small and getting more would be good advice. Everything will run much better.

However it should be noted that only the programs that are running use that memory. So it doesn't matter how many things you install.

But if you're using Wordpad, I would at least recommend switching to Google Docs or the Microsoft Office online version. You don't need to download anything, do it all through the browser.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTF files can be opened by every word processing package though, and more, I thought... seems a bit weird that wherever the OP is sending them to has an issue with them...
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    1Gb of memory is very small and getting more would be good advice. Everything will run much better.

However it should be noted that only the programs that are running use that memory. So it doesn't matter how many things you install.

But if you're using Wordpad, I would at least recommend switching to Google Docs or the Microsoft Office online version. You don't need to download anything, do it all through the browser.

I'm not sure that you don't have enough ram and stop using wordpad use something that requires more ram as pieces of advice are natural bedfellows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for all your comments. At the moment I am still working on these documents, which is very emotional and sensitive and very draining. So much to remember, so much to take in. I'am still learning though.

Thanks again