Hebburn (BBC2)

Comments

• loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I've really enjoyed that series, not always on target but a nice gentle comedy with a few laugh out loud moments. Several strong female characters which isn't all that common and Vic Reeves played a blinder in that last episode.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A slow burner, but some laugh out loud moments in the last episode. I hope they do another series.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Yes but the difference is that Only Fools and Horses made me laugh. This didn't. Just made me want to see Kimberly Nixon in more wedding dresses ;)

Ok but its a start isnt it :D
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    Well, I've really enjoyed that series, not always on target but a nice gentle comedy with a few laugh out loud moments. Several strong female characters which isn't all that common and Vic Reeves played a blinder in that last episode.

Could not agree more. A success.
  • LastlaughLastlaugh Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit it. I cried. :o Vic Reeves was fabulous.

I hope it gets a second series.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Really could have done without last night's Twist, that came out of left field.
    Maybe it was cuing up a possible 'out' for Jim Moir if he's busy for he next series?
    Anyway I won't analyse it.
    Enjoyed it overall, as a series, but too many cards played too early in the series IMO, i.e. pregnancies.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    What times the wedding sorry blessing :rolleyes:

The lads are still in the club and the clock says 8.15 :confused:

Oh bugger didnt expect this ending :cry:

Probably the blessing started the time the Sandie woman starts singing, as if she hasn't been on enough TV (i.e The Olympics) already after about 5 minutes.:D

Imagine Gina and Jim, with their longitivity, having jokes over the Sandie woman's overexposure.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched the first episode, and changed my view on it.

It's good.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. It was a sombre twist with the stroke and that added to a more emotional episode rather than OTT laughs.

The thing I think that was bolted on was the relationship between Ramsay and his son.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yes but the difference is that Only Fools and Horses made me laugh. This didn't. Just made me want to see Kimberly Nixon in more wedding dresses ;)
    I'm sure they base their decisions on your enjoyment of the shows :p

I think another 6 episode run can work. Still some storylines to develop.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A moving final episode, I agreed that Jim Moir gave a brilliant performance all round, especially in that episode.

Never been a fan of Vic Reeves and his comedy, but this has shown me another side of Jim.

I really do hope that the BBC stick with this and that they allow it to develop its audience.
  • gladysbachgladysbach Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Excellent series and although on the surface - in your face - the humour was subtle and clever. Agreed JIm Moir was a revelation.
  • ErinfanErinfan Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Really could have done without last night's Twist, that came out of left field.
    Maybe it was cuing up a possible 'out' for Jim Moir if he's busy for he next series?

The writer (sorry - having a complete memory blank and have forgotten his name!!) has talked about Hebburn being pretty autobiographical, with a few things changed to make it more effective as an episodic show. I read an interview with him commenting upon being greatly impacted by the sudden death of his father, so assumed that was at the heart of the whole storyline of Joe's health deteriorating.

Loved the series. Mostly funny and made me laugh out loud in places with some great one-liners, as you'd expect from a script written by a stand-up comedian. Slow here and there, but the show made up for it with the warmth of the family and some great characters. Found the last episode very moving and I think it takes great skill to keep slipping in comedy whilst maintaining the emotion of the situation.

Can imagine a second series ironing out a few chinks and expanding on the great base of the first. Will be disappointed if it doesn't return.
  • furkinfurkin Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I can't see much 'hilarity' in it,,,, nor do I think its carp,,,, but strangely am still watching it.

I just thought Gavin & Stacey had changed accents.
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved this series from start to finish, have never been able to stand the character of Vic Reeves but as himself Jim Moir has been a revelation in this series. Thought the cast were all good will some really good strong female leads, really hope it gets a second series.
  • furkinfurkin Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Likewise - I can't stand Vic Reeves at all.

I think I've seen him in another straight role some time ago.

Yep - I could watch him in more stuff,,,, even a scripted comedy maybe,,,, or something serious, to see what he is capable of.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    furkin wrote: »

I think I've seen him in another straight role some time ago.
    Didn't he play Eric Morecambe's dad?
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    Didn't he play Eric Morecambe's dad?

Yes he did, in that biographical programme, Eric and Ernie, I think it was.
    Forum Member
    loved this series from start to finish, have never been able to stand the character of Vic Reeves but as himself Jim Moir has been a revelation in this series. Thought the cast were all good will some really good strong female leads, really hope it gets a second series.

Well he's not himself, he's playing another character.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    The bit when the daughter was led out of the car after being stranded with Dot made me cry with laughter - it was the line where she said something like 'She's been talking about people I've never met, and now I know everything about them', which is exactly the kind of thing my own nan does!

Sorry I'm only up to this episode - bit behind to say the least!

That bit in the car had us howling with laughter - the granny was just like my late mother in law (except a Yorkshire version). She'd harp on for hours about people we'd never met or were ever likely to (or old dead relatives of course!) until we too were gibbering wrecks like the granddaughter :D Now my mum's started doing it too! :eek:

Brilliant!

Liked the daughter all round in this episode from her crying outside the car lot to saying that a pregnancy test was the first step on the property ladder for lasses round there! Not forgetting her 'pint of bacardi breezer - all the flavours!' :D

Better get on with the next episode ...
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I loved it. Very refreshing to have a comedy that actually makes me laugh out loud. The casting was superb, and I certainly hope there will be another series.
  • laundryladylaundrylady Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have loved this series and Winnie Knows she Knows has become a catchphrase in our house! Last episode was really very close to home and so made me cry a lot. Really hope there is another series.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great series, I really grew to love the characters as each episode progressed. Looking forward to series two :)
    Forum Member
    Have loved this series and Winnie Knows she Knows has become a catchphrase in our house! Last episode was really very close to home and so made me cry a lot. Really hope there is another series.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about 'Winnie knows....'
    I'd rather like an answer to that and some more of the home too, Denise will give us an 'in' to revisit that next series.

Dad's stroke didn't work for me too much of a change in tone, for me to fully go with it.
    Again too many cards played too early IMO with the pregnancies.
    Hope they slow down a bit next series, the air fairy Sister and Sarah's Mum and Dad had lots of mileage in them and weren't used enough.
    Hope Sarah gets to push her personality a bit more too, she's a little too wet.
  • laundryladylaundrylady Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, I'd forgotten about 'Winnie knows....'
    I'd rather like an answer to that and some more of the home too, Denise will give us an 'in' to revisit that next series.

Dad's stroke didn't work for me too much of a change in tone, for me to fully go with it.
    Again too many cards played too early IMO with the pregnancies.
    Hope they slow down a bit next series, the air fairy Sister and Sarah's Mum and Dad had lots of mileage in them and weren't used enough.
    Hope Sarah gets to push her personality a bit more too, she's a little too wet.

The home scenes, and the scene of the grandma and the secret map in the car were real 'laugh in recognition' moments for me.

I would also like Sarah to 'man up' a bit - love her crazy denial dentist in Fresh Meat. Am one of the SCD fans who can't get see Jan Ravens without the 'I hope you're happy' scene coming straight into mind!