New iPads - 22nd of October

Comments

• RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    basically what would having 64 gb over 32 mean in user terms

If would mean you could store twice as much on it.

Be that apps, games, music, videos / movies, documents, etc. It's your choice what you put on it.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basically what would having 64 gb over 32 mean in user terms

... you would have 64GB of space instead of 32GB ;)

More room for apps, videos, etc.

Whether it is worth it depends on what you plan on doing with the tablet.

Will you stuff it with videos and music, or will you be happy to just re-sync stuff as required, or perhaps just stream stuff instead?

Will you stuff it with large apps (many games are 1GB or more now), or will you just re-sync when necessary?

Will you often be taking it away with you, away from any means of syncing extra content onto it?
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    WiFi + Cellular = WiFi + 3G/4G.

The "Cellular" models require a contract or PAYG data plan with a mobile phone network. This adds even more cost on top of the increased cost of the tablet itself. It is of course very handy for when you don't have WiFi, but it costs more...

Do you have a smartphone at all? If I want to use my WiFi-only iPad online in an area where there is no WiFi available I just "tether" it to my iPhone so that it can use my iPhone's 3G connection.

i have a nexus 4 ..i do have 1 gb data a month ..right so thats what tethering means. .thanks
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 16GB?

A part from photos. Apps etc. I don't really store anything else onto my iPad. Music I stream via Amazon cloud play or just switch on tuneinradio.

So you see, there are still people out there where a 16GB will suffice. :)
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    ... you would have 64GB of space instead of 32GB ;)

More room for apps, videos, etc.

Whether it is worth it depends on what you plan on doing with the tablet.

Will you stuff it with videos and music, or will you be happy to just re-sync stuff as required, or perhaps just stream stuff instead?

Will you stuff it with large apps (many games are 1GB or more now), or will you just re-sync when necessary?

Will you often be taking it away with you, away from any means of syncing extra content onto it?

im not in to playing games..music , using it for the internet and watching tv mainly...i guess maybe 32 gb will be enough...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a nexus 4 ..i do have 1 gb data a month ..right so thats what tethering means. .thanks

No problem :)
    lala wrote: »
    A part from photos. Apps etc. I don't really store anything else onto my iPad. Music I stream via Amazon cloud play or just switch on tuneinradio.

Fair enough :)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tempted by the new iPad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im not in to playing games..music , using it for the internet and watching dvd 's mainly...i guess maybe 32 gb will be enough...

Yeah, 32GB would be fine for that. My iPad 2 was only 32GB and I could still fit quite a few videos on it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lala wrote: »

If you're a big user of apps, bear in mind that apps optimised for the 'Retina display' tend to be much larger too.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    so really the ipad 4 should come down in price now
    The iPad 4th generation WILL come down in price!

The Apple store will sell them off as normal as "fully Apple refurbished" - even if they are, in reality, brand new existing stock!. Other retail stores will also have to discount them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all have been increased. The iPad Air is at the same price points as the previous full-size iPads.
    So? I was commenting on the mini. A price increase is a price increase is a price increase. Just because another variant didn't doesn't mean the mini hasn't increased.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the full specs comparisons page is up there now
    http://store.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very tempted by a 32Gb iPad mini with retina display, but the £60 price increase from the current 32Gb Mini is very off putting:(

£399 for a 7.9" iPad Mini 32Gb just seems so expensive compared to my current Nexus 32Gb with 3G that cost me £239.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I was very tempted by a 32Gb iPad mini with retina display, but the £60 price increase from the current 32Gb Mini is very off putting:(

Why? It's a significant upgrade.

The old mini is a mini iPad 2 whereas the new one is a mini iPad Air.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Why? It's a significant upgrade.

The old mini is a mini iPad 2 whereas the new one is a mini iPad Air.

I would have thought the price to make the mini would be higher than the air, all the specs are the same with the exception of the screen which is better in the mini.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I would have thought the price to make the mini would be higher than the air, all the specs are the same with the exception of the screen which is better in the mini.

Definitely tempted by the Retina Mini. As you say it's pretty much identical to the Air except for the physical size.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly question, perhaps.
    My iPad3 is 18 months old.
    Will PC World, say, do an exchange package for the new iPad Air?
    And would they transfer all my data?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Silly question, perhaps.
    My iPad3 is 18 months old.
    Will PC World, say, do an exchange package for the new iPad Air?
    And would they transfer all my data?

I don't know about an exchange package but transferring data is easy. As long as your iPad is configured for iCloud, everything will be backed up in the cloud, so when you get a new iPad you just log on with your iCloud account and it will be restored.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how the iPad 2 fits in to the UK line-up pricing, it's such a lower spec but more expensive than the Mini Retina. The original Mini should have got a bigger price cut too but I expect the limited supply for Mini Retina rumour is true and Apple are hoping people will buy the original Mini as presents this Christmas when they can't get hold of the new one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    I don't see how the iPad 2 fits in to the UK line-up pricing, it's such a lower spec but more expensive than the Mini Retina. The original Mini should have got a bigger price cut too but I expect the limited supply for Mini Retina rumour is true and Apple are hoping people will buy the original Mini as presents this Christmas when they can't get hold of the new one.

Both the iPad 2 and Mini Retina are £319 but I do agree that you would have to be nuts to buy the iPad 2 over the Mini Retina. Your taking a massive reduction in specs and doubling the weight for a slightly bigger screen.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    See, I'm tempted now by an original Mini 4G as an "out and about" device for when I'm travelling and can't take my laptop, and an Air as a direct replacement for my '2' for home and office use. My original plan had been just a new mini 4G, but I do like the bigger screen for videos.

Decisions...
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I think £330 would be too close to the price of the full size iPad... I guess we will see soon lol
    £10 out. I guess guaranteed xmas sales was too tempting to reduce them to £300 and £370.

That Air is much heavier than I expected, far heavier than the new Kindle 9". I can't see those prices arresting the sales fall but obviously good xmas sales are a bit more a certainty.
    So does even Apple thinks tablets are on the decline and moving towards an iPad Air Transformer next year?

The 2012 Mini is now 'hanging one'. Even a £200 price would not appeal when compared to the Nexus and even the Hudl.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    £10 out. I guess guaranteed xmas sales was too tempting to reduce them to £300 and £370.

That Air is much heavier than I expected, far heavier than the new Kindle 9". I can't see those prices arresting the sales fall but obviously good xmas sales are a bit more a certainty.

So does even Apple thinks tablets are on the decline and moving towards an iPad Air Transformer next year?

What is the weight if the kindle then? The iPad air weights 470g.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    What is the weight if the kindle then? The iPad air weights 470g.

303g - although that will be partly because it's smaller screened
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    303g - although that will be partly because it's smaller screened

It's 378g according to Amazons product page which is to be expected as it' has a 1.1 inches smaller screen.