malcolm in the middle

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all i love this programme back in 2001,2002, Just a quick Q how did this end? Plus do you think the show will ever return? Who was you best person on the show malcolm, craig? Such a good tv programme and it's good to hear that they are finally coming out on dvd..

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It ended with Hal and Lois forcing Malcolm to turn down a big money offer to go and work at a company run by a friend of Stevie's Dad, ensuring that he would go to college. Their plan was for him to have to work his way through, then eventually go into Politics and become the President of the USA, thinking he would know what it was like to come from poverty (or what passed for poverty in MitM) and make some actual positive changes for those at the bottom Reece ended up living with Craig and was working as a janitor at his old high school, Francis had found a cubicle job which he loved, but had not told Lois seemingly just to wind her up. Dewey, according to his parents, would cruise through life and pretty much just fall into money. Lois fell pregnant again.

In my imagination, Francis has pretty much turned into his Dad (he'd already married a Lois-lite), Dewey is a wealthy musician, Frances is the star of a reality TV show centred around his cooking skills, and Malcolm is currently the DA of a medium sized city.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how Reece was was a culinary genius, Malcom is an academic one Dewey a Musical. While Francis lucked out.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They really destroyed Frances, because even though he was a delinquent he was smart enough but once he left the ranch he kinda slid into nothing. I suppose as he was the "worst" child he was lucky to end up in a dull day to day job and not homeless on drugs somewhere
  • LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the greatest TV shows of all time! it would be amazing to catch up with them for a one-off Christmas special.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    One of the greatest TV shows of all time! it would be amazing to catch up with them for a one-off Christmas special.

Had a lazy day last Saturday and watched 15 episodes from the start back-to-back. May have another lazy Saturday and watch the next 15. Loved this show - but missed out on mid to later episodes due to it being moved around the programming schedules!

I love all the characters but my favourite is Lois! She's the kind of mother I'd love to be!
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my favourite episode is the one with bea arthur as the baby sitter
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,007
    Forum Member
    icanboogie wrote: »
    my favourite episode is the one with bea arthur as the baby sitter

Its just so difficult to choose a favourite episode. I do like that one - an odd child with an odd adult (and Beatrice Arthur is fabulous - my favourite Golden Girl).

One of my favourites is the one were they become 'poor' and they get food parcels (much to Malcolm's chagrin). As Hal is saying they should be grateful whilst eating from one of the cans 'Anyone want the last olive?' ... Lois ... 'THEY'RE NOT OLIVES ... THEY'RE PEACHES!!!'
  • laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I was watching this the other day and I thought to myself 'How come this show is not so much more celebrated?'. I look at some online lists of Best US Sitcoms ever and as usual they are topped by Friends, MASH, Big Bang etc...but NO Malcolm.

This show was so well observed. It touched on family life better than The Middle or any other family based sitcom I've ever seen. It was surreal and cartoonish, yet still managed to be realistic, The characters of Hal (screech) and Lois (yell) are a fantastic pairing, helped along by two actors who completely made the roles their own and were hilarious in every scene. Every episode was 25 minutes of escapism and there were some truly great capers in there too.

I think the fact that there were no proper DVD releases until years later helped the show to fade in a way. Although I do think Breaking Bad has kind of brought it back to people's attention, thanks to that great sketch last year.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    My favourite episode was the one when they visit Francis on the ranch, and the boys buy the illegal fireworks. After the hugh one that turns night into day, all you hear is Francis asking "when will they get their sight back" and Malcolm replying "it says a few days"
  • LMLM Posts: 63,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently re-watched the show on netflix, mainly the last three seasons as I barely remembered them. It was a fantastic show and the later seasons were not as bad as i originally thought. The series finale was brilliant as well as I have never ever seen it.

It doesn't seem to be get the love many years after it ended as it should. The closest thing to the show today is The Middle, which i find is a poor imitation of the show.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,483
    Forum Member
    This was repeated constantly on the 5* channel. Really miss it as it seems to have stopped. A great comedy show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic show. It's been years and years since I watched it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I always get very nostalgic when I catch this on TV now. I remember watching this as kid on BBC TWO's schedule of this, Weakest Link & The Simpsons.

I watched reruns on Sky 1 a few years back, in HD. Funnier the second time around when you can grasp the jokes. Hal was massively underused. He was Homer Simpson all day long.

The Middle is ruining my childhood memories. Sod off.