Defiance - US Pace (Spoilers Tagged)

Comments

• Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what should you do when "razor rain" falls? Try and outrun it or hunker down under the most solid object you can find?
  • geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Losing interest rapidly in this, this weeks episode was embarrassing and awful.
    They had/have such a good premise for a solid Sci-fi, but its the complete opposite of what it should be.

I would much rather have Terranova back, at least towards the end of that they knew what was going wrong and seemed to be fixing it.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Well, that was a waste of an hour. What is this show doing? It's going nowhere fast, that's for sure. Half the episodes aren't even character building, they're just episodes for the sake of having an episode.

I know other shows can take time to get going, Terra Nova and Stargate Universe did (as have Continuum and Revolution), yet the former were cancelled because they were too slow, both Continuum and Revolution have been given a 3rd and 2nd season respectively.

We've got 12 episodes here, and we've just reached the half way point. Usually by this point (mid-season) we've got something to keep us here, yet I'm not seeing anything just yet. I'll be sticking with the first season 'cause there is potential, but if this show doesn't make some big bang pretty quick, it's going to lose a viewer.

And what the hell was that lesbian scene all about? Where'd that come from? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Have purposely kept away from the thread until I caught up. I just did, and oh my word, what a long 135 minutes after I watched the last three episodes back to back.

Am glad to read others are really struggling with the series. I really do not know what it intends to do, where it intends to go or what it is meant to be. Episodes just seem to be put together with little progression toward an overall plot and next to nothing in the character building stakes.

At this point we are halfway into the season and I still do not know all the characters names (admittedly cos perhaps my mind wanders whilst I watch, but then again..why do I do that!), care for any of the characters, and hardly understand the Defiance world.
    This last episode presented two minor stories against the backdrop of the principal story. The principal story was a WTF story IMHO. The side story about the alien marrying the annoying human girl who has done nothing since the show premiered was stupid, and although I can understand the show's wanting to presenting conflicting cultures etc, it was all wasted by how little we know / care for the characters. The other side story culminating in a lesbian scene was completely WTF and laughable!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they reveal that Fionnula Flanagan is an alien disguised as a human and then kill her off in the same episode.

Still with the alien Doctor (can't recall her name) holding on to the artifact that seems to generate ghosts/illusions of dead people I'm sure we'll be seeing Mayor Nikki again.
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    So they reveal that Fionnula Flanagan is an alien disguised as a human and then kill her off in the same episode.

Still with the alien Doctor (can't recall her name) holding on to the artifact that seems to generate ghosts/illusions of dead people I'm sure we'll be seeing Mayor Nikki again.

Its starting to feel a bit like stargate Universe...i.e Rush with his illusions & a story that doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast.
    Viewing figures are already bad & I can't see such episodes as this weeks really helping.

Where are the battles... the amazing weaponry... the arkfalls with scavengers (I think we have had one "proper" one... where are the flying crafts/space ships that are used in the game (its only at a certain height that you can't use air travel because of the radiation)... the list goes on & on.

There's two episodes left this season? I really feel a bit short changed with the sci-fi angle.

Imo no way if this carries on will we be getting a season 3, I am amazed we are getting a season 2... unless it was an announcement to keep the game players happy with the cross over events that have been promised.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    They really jumped the gun giving the show a second season, but if it goes ahead it will be an opportunity to address the shows (many) problems.

I thought this latest episode was ok, the lack of Irathians and their chanting and less of Nolan's perma-stroppy daughter was a bonus.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    What I want from this, is a bit less machismo, and a lot more explanation of the back story.

1. The Pale Wars.

2. Why/how the alien races are apparently the same species despite having obviously different physiology.

3. Irathians. The Jews/Gypsies of space. Why would any space-faring race cart these people around the universe?

4. How the hell did humanity 'win' and yet still be in such a terrible state?
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still really enjoying the show. I can understand why people don't like it, though.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do enjoy this, but I wish that Syfy had spent the money on W13 instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I want from this, is a bit less machismo, and a lot more explanation of the back story.

1. The Pale Wars.

2. Why/how the alien races are apparently the same species despite having obviously different physiology.

3. Irathians. The Jews/Gypsies of space. Why would any space-faring race cart these people around the universe?

4. How the hell did humanity 'win' and yet still be in such a terrible state?

I agree that there's been far too little backstory, although:

2) They're not the same species. They are different species, but from the same solar system.

4) Humanity didn't "win", no one did. The Battle of Defiance saw soldiers from both sides stop fighting each other and defend civilians instead. This movement spread, leading to a cease-fire.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This could become the new Babylon 5.

Its a kind of Babylon 5 in the Wild West. I am quite enjoying it, compared to Revolution its a masterpiece.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still really enjoying the show. I can understand why people don't like it, though.
    I'm loving it, and have trouble understanding why others don't. It has basic plots, but uses them to really develop its characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I'm loving it, and have trouble understanding why others don't. It has basic plots, but uses them to really develop its characters.

Indeed! I'm really loving the character development. It seems all the characters get some each episode.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One of the main problems is that its meant to compliment the game, there's meant to be crossovers such as the plague storyline/event we have just had.... but honestly the TV series is far too toned down & different from the game.

Personally I think there's far too much character development and not enough action/technology, its falling into the same trap SGU did. Is this because of lack of budget or simply to attract such audiences as Caprica's... who knows.

I hate to see any sci-fi show struggle in terms of viewing figures as there isn't enough on TV as it is but I hear defiance has lost approx half its viewers since it started (another 300k in the last 3 episodes in the states apparently).

Imo It simply has to change to survive.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moboloco wrote: »
    One of the main problems is that its meant to compliment the game, there's meant to be crossovers such as the plague storyline/event we have just had.... but honestly the TV series is far too toned down & different from the game.
    OK. I don't play the game, so that doesn't affect me. Games and TV shows are very different, so I have to wonder whether it's fair to compare them like that. A game will typically have better SFX but worse characterisation.
    Personally I think there's far too much character development and not enough action/technology,
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Good characters are harder to do than action/technology, and the action counts for nothing if we don't care about the characters.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Good characters are harder to do than action/technology, and the action counts for nothing if we don't care about the characters.
    You're absolutely right. However to get the audience "on side" with a character isn't a matter of the amount of time spent developing them. Take films for example: they only have 90 - 120 minutes (i.e. 2 or 3 episodes) to introduce the characters, separate the good ones from the baddies, set up the story and reach a conclusion. So it's more about the quality of the writing and just possibly the acting (though given the number of "takes" they can have, you have to assume that what we see on the screen is what the director asked for) . If a writer can't make you like the heros and dislike the baddies within the first 10 minutes of episode #1 (as they do in the movies) there's something wrong with the script. And I have to say, with Defiance there does seem to be a lot wrong with the script :cry:
  • Jon McManamyJon McManamy Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Say what you want about the storylines, yes they are a bit slow but they're ok, but you have to give Bear McCreary credit for doing such a wonderful job, as per usual, on the soundtrack.
    The bloke is one of the best tv composers out there and I think this show gives him a real chance to show off his talent
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. I don't play the game, so that doesn't affect me. Games and TV shows are very different, so I have to wonder whether it's fair to compare them like that. A game will typically have better SFX but worse characterisation.

Thats my main issue, the Tv series was made to co-incide with the game, they have to be very similar for the crossover events to happen.
    Apparently from many that play the game they say that season 2 will be influenced by the game & how it has developed.
    Imo the game & TV series has to get closer, the game can survive without the TV series but can the Tv series survive without the game? viewing figures hint at the answer being no.

This weeks episode was much better, the best one since "Goodbye Blue Sky" imo.
    I loved the story, the acting & technology.... special effects. God knows why we couldn't have had episodes like this through most the season... the million or so that have stopped watching the show have missed out on a treat.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I would hate to see Datak go, I want him dead. Shaming would be a good option too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    As much as I would hate to see Datak go, I want him dead. Shaming would be a good option too.

I think If Datak went it would leave a bit of a gap which may be good as we would no doubt see more of the Volge (big part in the game).

I would like to see Kenya and Dewshane killed off, it would be good if they had a deputy that wasn't fully trusted.... a bit of a rogue like Pope in falling skies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    Its a kind of Babylon 5 in the Wild West. I am quite enjoying it, compared to Revolution its a masterpiece.

I think it is wrong to compare Defiance to Babylon 5 and Revolution is infinitely better than Defiance. Revolution may be stupid at times but at least it is interesting.

Defiance is more like Stargate Universe and in fact one of the actors from SGU was in the episode I just watched. It is boring, uninteresting and with long scenes of vocals on the soundtrack no wonder the ratings are down.

I have managed to get up to episode 8 but am rapidly losing interest.

Now Babylon 5 was the real masterpiece with believable characters, plot development and an exciting story.

Episodes of B5, with few exceptions, go very quickly. With virtually every episode of Defiance I keep looking to see how much longer there is to go. Unfortunately, it is usually quite a bit of time as time seems to slow down when watching this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New episode was the best so far! Really good development for nearly all the main characters. Excited to see what happens next week!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say what you want about the storylines, yes they are a bit slow but they're ok, but you have to give Bear McCreary credit for doing such a wonderful job, as per usual, on the soundtrack.
    The bloke is one of the best tv composers out there and I think this show gives him a real chance to show off his talent

Yeah. There aren't many shows that I don't fast-forward the opening titles for... this is one, along with DaVinci's Demons (also McCreary).
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    Its a kind of Babylon 5 in the Wild West.

Sadly, the characterisation, plot and arc are nowhere near Babylon 5 quality. I wish they were. :( Only the Idogene doctor, the Tarr family and Irisa are up to scratch. The rest, no much.