external CD, DVD and Blu-Ray drive for Mac?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Any help? I have the usb superdrive but it's pants.

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Samsung sell one that is Mac compatible. If you search on PC World's website you'll find it. I have the SuperDrive because I'm not bothered about Blu Ray and because it looks better if I'm seen by other Mac users in public :D
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung sell one that is Mac compatible. If you search on PC World's website you'll find it. I have the SuperDrive because I'm not bothered about Blu Ray and because it looks better if I'm seen by other Mac users in public :D

Gotta fit into that elite club, right? :D
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

If samsung sold a drive for at least £300 then i'm sure cnbc would perhaps consider it so long as it said pretentious overpaying for something :D (or average apple buyer :p )
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »

Yep :D I've already been lynched a few times for having a Samsung phone so I don't wanna be lynched for not having a non-Apple external drive.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yep :D I've already been lynched a few times for having a Samsung phone so I don't wanna be lynched for not having a non-Apple external drive.

You already do have a non apple external drive. The drive inside itself is made by Sony :p
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've yet to encounter any optical drive with a USB connection that doesn't work on the Mac. Not sure what you mean by Mac compatible. What's different?
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    You already do have a non apple external drive. The drive inside itself is made by Sony :p

I didn't know that! I thought they were made by Apple themselves :D
    psionic wrote: »
    I've yet to encounter any optical drive with a USB connection that doesn't work on the Mac. Not sure what you mean by Mac compatible. What's different?

I find it usually says on the box if it's Mac compatible or not. I was in Currys one day and I had a look but they only had HP ones. I asked a member of staff and he said it was Mac compatible but I looked at the box and it only mentioned Windows! I don't trust anything salesmen say to me so I didn't buy it in case it didn't work.
    Forum Member

No! Apple make absolutely nothing whatsoever themselves. They design and outsource it to other companies.
    Forum Member
    No! Apple make absolutely nothing whatsoever themselves. They design and outsource it to other companies.

Shame the parts in my lovely shiny Mac aren't made by the men in black turtlenecks :( Oh well, I guess that explains why Macs can run Windows...
    Forum Member
    Shame the parts in my lovely shiny Mac aren't made by the men in black turtlenecks :( Oh well, I guess that explains why Macs can run Windows...

No, it can run windows because apple decided it was a good marketing tool to get it to sell more macs which it did. And of course because of the move to Intel.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sony makes a lot of internals for CD/DVd and blu-ray devices. even when other companies make them like Lg, I think they do so under a licence.
    I find it usually says on the box if it's Mac compatible or not. I was in Currys one day and I had a look but they only had HP ones. I asked a member of staff and he said it was Mac compatible but I looked at the box and it only mentioned Windows! I don't trust anything salesmen say to me so I didn't buy it in case it didn't work.

My friend have got a LG blue-ray burner, like my internal one but External and it works fine with her Mac.

Buy what you want to buy, not what other people expect you to buy. My friend is getting a Nexus 5 to replace her sony phone, mainly because she don't like the Iphone and yet she loves her Macs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it can run windows because apple decided it was a good marketing tool to get it to sell more macs which it did. And of course because of the move to Intel.

The move to intel done more for that then anything else, because a Mac now is mow or less just like any other PC. I would not run windows on a Mac if I had one.
    Forum Member

Well it encouraged more people to switch as they realised they would be able to use their existing Windows programs and games without any problems. A lot of people have no choice but to use some Windows programs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it encouraged more people to switch as they realised they would be able to use their existing Windows programs and games without any problems. A lot of people have no choice but to use some Windows programs.

There is very little you can do with windows that you can't do with Mac OS or Linux for that matter. Games is the one problem with both OSx and Linux, but Linux is starting to get there.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......... and because it looks better if I'm seen by other Mac users in public :D

and doesn't that just sum the whole Mac thing up perfectly !!
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    There is very little you can do with windows that you can't do with Mac OS or Linux for that matter. Games is the one problem with both OSx and Linux, but Linux is starting to get there.

Tell that to business users. The majority of them use Windows. I suspect one of the reasons companies stick to Windows is because it keeps the IT departments in work :D It's job security for them.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell that to business users. The majority of them use Windows. I suspect one of the reasons companies stick to Windows is because it keeps the IT departments in work :D It's job security for them.

Oh dear, your off again:rolleyes: Almost 24 posts a day...forgot, your a student but things will change when you enter the real world ;)

I suspect businesses use Windows because it works and the likes of Office is the standard package used by many millions around the world each day; Office is a tremendous package.

Do networks running Pommes not need I.T. departments then?
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    The reason businesses stick to Windows is because Apples products are 90% geared towards the consumer rather than enterprise. Large businesses need a roadmap and a decent SLA for support which Apple do not provide. In addition, Apples server products are vastly inferior when compared to the Microsoft applications available.

Never the less none of this relates to the OP's DVD drive though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »

Same here.

I have yet to encounter anything with a USB connection that doesn't work on my Macs.
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Oh dear, your off again:rolleyes: Almost 24 posts a day...forgot, your a student but things will change when you enter the real world ;)

I suspect businesses use Windows because it works and the likes of Office is the standard package used by many millions around the world each day; Office is a tremendous package.

Do networks running Pommes not need I.T. departments then?

Windows doesn't always work, that's the whole point :p If it doesn't work, then it means the IT people are kept busy and therefore it ensures job security. Office is available on Mac as well and there's always Parallels or VMware Fusion. Parallels is especially good because it has a thing called Coherence mode which means Windows programs can be run as though they were made for the Mac. Not much use for gamers like me (who would be more likely to use Bootcamp) but it would be useful for business users. Networks running Macs probably need some IT department but they wouldn't have as much work to do as the Windows people.
    Forum Member

Utter nonsense as always. Please would you stop this.

Macs are no better than good built PCs. OSX is no more secure or stable than windows and that includes Vista which was rock solid for me and didnt ever crash once.

You clearly know absolutely nothing about computers at all....
    Forum Member
    Windows doesn't always work, that's the whole point :p

Neither does OSX.
    Networks running Macs probably need some IT department but they wouldn't have as much work to do as the Windows people

Is this a joke or are you being serious?!! They need just as much i can assure you!! Having worked in a company with all macs (an Architects) they had problems every other day.

I think you need to stop blowing smoke up apples arse here and grow up a bit. You seem nice generally, but your bias towards apple is seriously disturbing. I guess a lot of people in real life think this as well about you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows doesn't always work, that's the whole point :p If it doesn't work, then it means the IT people are kept busy and therefore it ensures job security. Office is available on Mac as well and there's always Parallels or VMware Fusion. Parallels is especially good because it has a thing called Coherence mode which means Windows programs can be run as though they were made for the Mac. Not much use for gamers like me (who would be more likely to use Bootcamp) but it would be useful for business users. Networks running Macs probably need some IT department but they wouldn't have as much work to do as the Windows people.

:D:D:D what complete and utter nonsense from you again.

Didn't Office for macs save Apple going bust at one point? Just be realistic, Apple computers are nothing special these days and there's not one made that would out perform my PC.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slapping Mac's into a corporate environment is generally considered by anyone with an eye on cost to be stupid as when you can be slapping out basic machines with windows for 3-400 quid versus well over a grand for Apple to do the same thing and you have to factor in the 2nd operating system support and its not as lock downable as windows systems to ensure data security etc