Unusual gift ideas for my 90 year old nan?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just don't know what to get my nan - she doesn't like chocolates or flowers, she panics if you buy her clothes in case they don't fit her and she can't hold a book to read. My aunty just told me she's doing her a hamper with food and a bit of booze, which is what I was thinking of doing!

Nan's housebound so a balloon ride or something similar is definitely out of the question - although my dad did suggest zorbing!

Has anyone got any ideas of what to get her please - I'm totally stumped :(

TIA :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Couldn't you put some money towards the hamper with your aunty? That way she would get an even more luxurious hamper and it would solve the problem of finding something yourself.

Otherwise how about dvds or music cds? If she doesnt like flowers, maybe a nice miniature rose bush or something that will last instead of flowers.

Is she fairly active? Maybe a meal out? or a trip to the theatre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I'd suggest a picture of you and the family all nicely framed, or a picture of you and her together. Everybody loves a nice picture :D

If you're feeling really adventerous maybe high-tech it up with a digital frame.

Hope this helps!
  • Bid-tvBid-tv Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about an Edible Arrangment? www.ediblearrangements.co.uk

They're nice to look at, and they're something different and unique. The only problem is you feel a bit bad eating something so pretty.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about an original or reproduction newspaper from the year of her birth?

Here's an example but if you google 'old newspapers' you'll find more sites.

http://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/default.aspx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some great ideas there - thanks everyone :)

The edible arrangements are amazing - I'm going to order myself some strawberries!
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a Rampant Rabbit? That would be pretty unusual for a 90 year-old woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    How about a Rampant Rabbit? That would be pretty unusual for a 90 year-old woman.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

She'd probably think it was a whisk and use it to mix up her complan!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my OH's nan is 94 so we always struggle when buying her pressies, what we've bought her over the past few years include a fortnum & mason hamper, a dozen pairs of american tan tights, a freeview box, a single cup kettle, a years subscription to her favourite magazine, my OH has also done her token to get odd jobs done round the house, like mow the lawn, clean the windows etc
  • derbyshire duckderbyshire duck Posts: 14,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once bought an oldie a beanie baby she loved it praps because they are squishy in your hands :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bless her for reaching a ripe old age! (What's zorbing?!!)

How about a video/dvd of your family over the years? Or a photo album. Or a 'treasure' box, of momento's from all the family, including stuff the children have made, something really personal, and don't forget to include stuff from her childhood/younger years.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a nice soft rug for her knees.
  • winactivewinactive Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »

dammit - seeing the thread title, that's just what I was going to say :mad::D
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Does she have any grandchildren? Maybe you could get a big frame and put pictures of them inside it.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AS it is a special year - try to get a set of the coins of the year of her birth - like the newspaper shows that you are marking her special year.

it also gives lots of opportunities to talk about "going to the movies for a halfpenny " and similar reminisences .....

You might like to see if this is true?? http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/lifestyle/personal_finance/s/1060485_old_folk_in_1908_richer_than_today

I hope it is a great day for your nan= you are so lucky to have her still with you - find out waht it was like for her growing up ...
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister got my Dad a bird table which sits just outside the window - he loves it - we all take turns putting nuts and stuff on the table.
    Also what about some spoken word tapes - you can get great books on tape nowadays!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lambing wrote: »
    Bless her for reaching a ripe old age! (What's zorbing?!!)
    She rocks - she still has a wicked glint in her eye! Zorbing is when you roll down a huge hill in a big bouncy ball! :D
    AS it is a special year - try to get a set of the coins of the year of her birth - like the newspaper shows that you are marking her special year.

it also gives lots of opportunities to talk about "going to the movies for a halfpenny " and similar reminisences .....

I hope it is a great day for your nan= you are so lucky to have her still with you - find out waht it was like for her growing up ...

That's a great idea, as she loves telling me how much everything used to cost! I am very lucky to still have her around - thank you :)
    My sister got my Dad a bird table which sits just outside the window - he loves it - we all take turns putting nuts and stuff on the table.
    Also what about some spoken word tapes - you can get great books on tape nowadays!

That's a fantastic idea - she loves watching the birds and her carers wouldn't mind putting food out (I hope!)

Thankyou to everyone for your brilliant ideas - she will feel very flattered when I tell her we've been discussing her in 'cyberman space' (as she calls it!)

I shall be back in 10 years time to ask you for your ideas for her 100th.....:)
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    A male stripper?...

Or one of those 'nice young men' to come and clean her house just in a thong?...

LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husbands nan was 90 this year and instead of presents we gave her gifts of our time. Her time gifts were things she always wanted to do or hadn't done for a long time and included a weekend in London (she never thought she get back there) with the whole family, a trip out to all the old places she used to live, a pamper session, girls night out at a drag queen club, a night at the theatre, a helicopter flight, a trip to the top of Blackpool Tower where she used to work and a day being a tourist in Blackpool, plus others. She hasn't had them all yet but so far has enjoyed every bit of her gifts and has cried many times.
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    Does she have any grandchildren? Maybe you could get a big frame and put pictures of them inside it.

Who do you think is writing the thread about their *nan* ?
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    A male stripper?...

Or one of those 'nice young men' to come and clean her house just in a thong?...

LOL

...while trying out her new rampant rabbit?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    A laptop with the homepage set to this thread! :eek:

On a serious note, what about something like music or a bracelet? You could look for / make a bracelet with a charm on it with a couple of photos inside. It would probably be easier for your nan to look at those photos on a bracelet rather than on a necklace :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not get her one of those digital photo frames with all the images of the family loaded onto it. I got one for my gran and she loved it. She gets to see all her family on one frame.
  • :manson::manson: Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends how unusual you want it to be, I suppose... :o
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we all take turns putting nuts and stuff on the table.

I like putting my nuts on the table too.

The restaurant manager didn't like me doing it though.
  • mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    How about an original or reproduction newspaper from the year of her birth?

Here's an example but if you google 'old newspapers' you'll find more sites.

http://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/default.aspx

I was going to suggest the same thing.

I "adopted" an owl for a year for my Grandad, it only lasts a year but he got a certificate, soft toy, book etc.