Mr Selfridge Starts Sunday 9pm ITV1

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    The series is based on a fictional account of his life - which I haven't read.

No, the book it is based on is a non-fiction book -- a biography/history.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »

Correct. And a number of significant details have been changed - see earlier in this thread. If I was a member of the Selfridge clan, I wouldn't be too happy ...
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »

My apologies - perhaps I have incorrectly remembered a comment made very early on in this thread?
  • bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Ha, ha you can never trust kids to keep their mouths shut. Poor Rose, especially after she handled Ms. Love with such aplomb.

I cannot decide if I like the waiter (Victor?) or not. He reminds me a bit of Thomas from D. Abbey, so maybe that is my problem. The French guy is awfully smooth though. May be hard for her to resist him.

Where does Harry get off with his "do you think I want to be this way?" Almost anything would have been a better response than that. Does he blame his father for that too?

I do like this series and am getting used to JP in the main role. He unquestionably overacts though.

I don't have any much sympathy for Ellen Love. She knew what she was after and she didn't get it. It does not make him any less of a sleaze but she was never going to be Lady Mae. But I was surprised she took pills.

Well I am not too excited about the the manager taking Harry's place while he is laid up. He seems bitter and a little power hungry. But at least we are seeing some action now.
  • Mela80Mela80 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I started watching this show from a different perspective.

For me Mr Selfridge was the most interesting character *because* he was technically fake except for the fleeting moments where he had to be real (losing his UK backer, worrying about financing) but his energy and enthusiasm is the equivalent of marketing and advertisements today - he needed to be over the top to garner any attention. For me JP's performance is perfect.
    The others in the cast complement it to perfection too as they all carry their own purpose - the innocence, the b*tchy, the family, the cheeky etc) and all performed brilliantly to me. I can sit and watch knowing I'm going to enjoy it but a little worried that they'll sacrifice a character I enjoy for a 'Downton' twist!

I really like the relationship between Mr Selfridge and Agnes though. It's so sweet and genuine - probably the nicest one he's had with a woman - it's great to see a nice character appreciated and protected by the one in power.

I've never seen the other programme Paradise so that might have something to do with it. :)
  • trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    He wasn't faithful - his wife used to return to see her family in Chicago several times a year, and during those times he squired women all over town.

His main lover during the 'teens was the French actress/singer Gaby Deslys, who he showered with gifts and installed in a flat. Its not a massive stretch to imagine Gaby = Ellen.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame:(

@Mela: That's an interesting reading of Mr Selfridge. It makes sense given his love for the Selfridge store, a love which seems to go much deeper than any other relationship he has outside it. And I think that's where Mr Selfridge is best understood. On the other hand, with regards to his human relationships, his relationship with Agnes seems to be the only connection he has to feeling something of depth for someone else because he can relate to her. But then, it could be that Selfridge is more in-tune with the Selfridge staff because of their lowly background which isn't far off from his own. His reaction to his wife's 'affair' was somewhat hypocritical. It's like he can't bear people stealing from him and what belongs to him: his wife is 'his' and so doesn't belong to any other man; then there was that woman who steals from 'his' store and gets the sack.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was lukewarm about this when it began but since it's lurched into 'so bad it's good' territory I'm loving it. Not a cliché is being left unturned except, possibly, the one about window dressers being gay; this one being the next best thing, a heavily-accented Frenchman. My favourite bit last night was when the millionaire store owner turns up at the cockernee shopgirl's 'umble lodgings and beats up her drunken wastrel of a father. As if! They should have called it Carry On Shopping.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    They should have called it Carry On Shopping.

It is very watchable though isn't it? Its as you say - so bad its good. I'm even getting used to Katherine Kelly's accent in it.

Besides ... I find Jeremy Piven strangely attractive. No ... make that VERY attractive!
  • trio1trio1 Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Oh he is....he's a fine thing.

The minute his bronzed muscular chest appeared on screen the other week, I decided that historical accuracy could go hang. :p
  • Mela80Mela80 Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    That's a shame:(

@Mela: That's an interesting reading of Mr Selfridge. It makes sense given his love for the Selfridge store, a love which seems to go much deeper than any other relationship he has outside it. And I think that's where Mr Selfridge is best understood. On the other hand, with regards to his human relationships, his relationship with Agnes seems to be the only connection he has to feeling something of depth for someone else because he can relate to her. But then, it could be that Selfridge is more in-tune with the Selfridge staff because of their lowly background which isn't far off from his own. His reaction to his wife's 'affair' was somewhat hypocritical. It's like he can't bear people stealing from him and what belongs to him: his wife is 'his' and so doesn't belong to any other man; then there was that woman who steals from 'his' store and gets the sack.

Definitely and the affair reaction was a strange one to me too - like he had a medical condition or couldn't help it (the victim) but she did it deliberately. Possessiveness does seem to be a running theme.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was good but not as good as downton abbey. there is something missing but not shure what it is yet. ahh i have it. downton abbey actors are better named in the hit show. this s something thats missing from selfridges in my view..
    The acting is good and there is a story line too. but is let down by slightly wooden characters.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is Mr Selfridge doing in the ratings? Does anyone know, looked back a few pages but couldn't see anything.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was good but not as good as downton abbey. there is something missing but not shure what it is yet. ahh i have it. downton abbey actors are better named in the hit show. this s something thats missing from selfridges in my view..
    The acting is good and there is a story line too. but is let down by slightly wooden characters.

Yep wooden characters but I enjoy it. I think it's very soapy too.
    I'm not sure another series will be commissioned. Itv must be pleased with the ratings- 5-6 million ain't all bad.:rolleyes:
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    How is Mr Selfridge doing in the ratings? Does anyone know, looked back a few pages but couldn't see anything.

You need the 'ratings thread'. Someone in there said:
    At 9pm Mr Selfridge won the slot with 5.59m, up on last week (5.43m).
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Correct. And a number of significant details have been changed - see earlier in this thread. If I was a member of the Selfridge clan, I wouldn't be too happy ...

My girlfriend has the book, I haven't read it but I've looked at the pictures :D Jezza Piven is really too young to play Mr Selfridge.

I wanted to punch his lights out on Sunday though, the cheating hypocritical swinehound,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww I am liking Agnes making eyes at Leclair stuff it's quite sweet. I wonder if it will come to anything? Also why does Lady Mae just seem to be a bit part at the moment I don't think Katherine is being used enough
    Forum Member
    I suggest you watch Entourage. He's fantastic in that. He's also very good in this.

I thought he was way too "much" in the first episode, but I like him better now. In fact, I thought he was putting too much of his super-agent from "Entourage" into this role.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »

There is an article in the Daily Mail today that states it has lost 1 million viewers since the first episode and it has yet to be decided if a second series will be commissioned.
    The viewing figures are still respectable at around 6 million but apparently it is such an expensive production it will depend on it's success when it is shown in US in March.
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady Mae should have her own spin-off, centring on organising suffragette events, bedding attractive waiters and sticking her nose into the affairs of both the english aristocracy and the new wealthy upper classes.

I'd watch it :D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    There is an article in the Daily Mail today that states it has lost 1 million viewers since the first episode and it has yet to be decided if a second series will be commissioned.
    The viewing figures are still respectable at around 6 million but apparently it is such an expensive production it will depend on it's success when it is shown in US in March.

A second series has already been commissioned according to the following article. ***Don't read if you don't want to know anything whatsoever about what the next series contains***:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/08/mr-selfridge-second-series-itv?CMP=twt_fd
    The recommission, in the middle of the current series, reflects the ratings success, with consolidated audiences – including seven-day, catch-up viewing – so far averaging 8.5 million, with a peak of 9.4 million. Mr Selfridge has had the measure of BBC1's darker Ripper Street in the ratings in the Sunday 9pm slot.

ITV said that it was the channel's most watched new drama since Scott & Bailey, its female detective drama launched in May 2011, and turns the page after a relatively disappointing 2012 for ITV drama, with flops such as Eternal Law and Titanic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really can't understand why posters are raving about Katherine Kelly's performance. SHe is so wooden and expressionless. She has no emotion in her voice - just a forced upperclass drone.

Towards the end of her stint in CS whenever Becky was supposed to be emotional her face was just blank and eyes staring. Same here. One of the worst, no the worst, actress in the series. Agnes' cockney accent is up there with KK though.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    A second series has already been commissioned according to the following article. ***Don't read if you don't want to know anything whatsoever about what the next series contains***:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/08/mr-selfridge-second-series-itv?CMP=twt_fd

Well, it just goes to show that you should not believe everything you read in the papers...the Daily Mail says one thing, The Guardian the opposite..
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Well, it just goes to show that you should not believe everything you read in the papers...

No, the lesson is don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail -- or possibly anything.
    Forum Member
    Those rating numbers would be considered really good in the US. They seem to call shows "blockbuster hits" if they hit 5 million here.

I am up for a second season, any fancy costume drama is fine with me. Trying to watch "Ripper" but I hate to admit I can barely understand what they are saying half the time and I lose the concept.