Unable to get son what he wants for Christmas?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
Have you ever been in this situation? My son 10 wants an iPad for Christmas, we simply can not afford and iPad, I got him a Google Nexus 7 but not sure how this is gonna be received as an iPad is all he has been talking about, its the only thing he wants but as I say at double the price of the Nexus 7 I can't afford it, I have 2 other kids to take into consideration as well.

All his friends etc have iPad, what he fails to understand is his friends at school are all middle class, we are working class and it was a struggle to get the money gathered up for the Nexus 7 let alone an iPad.

So as I say have you ever been in this situation where your child wanted something that you couldn't afford or perhaps was so popular couldn't get and what way did it go down?

Comments

• Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    You know him better than we do. I mean, have you had discussions about the relative merits of each? And is he the sort of child who does understand the way the world works, or is he likely to throw a strop because he doesn't?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As children we were always told to write our Christmas lists and hope we got what was on it, but no guarantee we would and to be honest rarely got much off the list it was usually cheaper alternatives or something completely different. Can't say I understand anyone allowing their child to expect exactly what they ask for, as the parent you decide what they have surely ?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be a good lesson for him that he can't always get what he wants in life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this meant as satire?
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been in this situation many times :( It's rotten but just the way life is. In the end it does a child no harm to be told that they can't have everything they ask for. It's a good lesson to learn but as a parent it feels horrible.

Both my children accepted it though and have grown up with a realistic view of material goods. They are good at saving up for what they want if I can't provide it. All in all I feel I haven't messed their lives up too much.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It will be a good lesson for him that he can't always get what he wants in life.

This.
  • MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, though he may be disappointed I really don't think it's that much of a hardship. As someone else said - it's a good lesson that kids learn that you can't always have everything.

Nexus is better anyway - apple are too restrictive.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Get him a bag of nuts and a satsuma. Life is tough.
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too bad, surely can't be the first time he doesn't get what he wants.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

This ^

With maybe the addition that if he doesnt like the Nexus then maybe he can get a job etc to save up for an iPad?

To be honest, the Nexus will be a decent Tab.

I would say that a couple of years ago android tabs were noticibaly slower (laggy) than iPads.... iPads were fluid, smooth and just worked as you would expect. That gap has closed now and most branded android tabs are just as good/better than iPads.

the Nexus is way more customisable than an iPad too
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^This. Mine had nexus at 11yrs and an iPad at 13.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe he can get a job etc to save up for an iPad?
    At 10? Maybe he could be a chimney sweep.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The Nexus 7 is way better than an ipad in pretty much every way. Unfortunately it doesn't have quite the same 'cool factor' as an ipad.

However a 10 year old is still very lucky to be getting either and i would expect him to appreciate it or it would be going back to the shop!
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell my kids to be grateful for what they get or it can go back to the shop and they can have nothing... Their choice.

There were a few things on their lists this year that I knew I could never afford and I told them straight away that they wouldn't be getting them, better for them to have a little moan about it at the start of December and then be over it by the time it comes to present opening than to have a strop on Christmas day.
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Totally agree, I've got a Nexus 7 myself, Far Far superior to the iPad and it's crap iTunes bloatware.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he actually know the difference? Many people call all tablets "iPads" in the same way that all vacuum cleaners are often called "Hoovers".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have you not already explained to him that an iPad is unaffordable? It seems to me that you've let him continue in the hope that he might still get an ipad. If it were me, I'd have spoken to him about it a while ago and let him have some say in which alternative he'd like. TBH the nexus is a great choice and I'm sure he'll get a lot of pleasure from it.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have you not already explained to him that an iPad is unaffordable?

Yes, this would seem to have been a better course of action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I think it's a good learning curve for children to understand the worth of money and that you can't always have everything you want in life.

This year it was iPad. Had he got that, next year it would be a pony.
  • urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Why have you not already explained to him that an iPad is unaffordable?

Entirely this. Its not too late to be honest. Tell him before Christmas arrives. Also gives you time to explain why Apple are shit, and that many people just have them because of the name, rather than how good the product is.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Nexus 7 is a great present.:)
  • SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I agree with the above,kids cant always get what they want.However I always try to get everything my kids ask for which is stupid I know,but I always got everything I wanted so want the same for my 3 terrors.Ipads are crap though,you cant do anything without Apples say so,mine have galaxys and theyre great,not restrictive at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've done great by your kid getting the cash together for the Nexus. Now just complete the job and manage his expectations and conceal any disappointment you may feel. You've done your best and with three kids to cater for you have already done very well for one. I hope the other two don't get the booby prize. :D

Always remember, your kids need your presence more than they need presents.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    first world problems

teach the child a lesson.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    My five year old wants everything for Christmas but he has been told that money is a factor and he cant have everything.

Ironically the one thing he wants he hasn't got at all or even an alternative but I am sure on the day he will be happy with his lot.

He has been using my mums ipad for ages now but she has to have it back so she has bought him a kindle fire for Christmas am sure he wont care either way as long as he has something he can play games on a tablet is a tablet is a tablet to most kids.