American Idol- Hollywood Week

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Haven't seen a thread yet about this week's Idol, so I thought I'd start this one.

Really enjoying this episode a lot, especially as it's been more about the contestants and the singing rather than pointless Nicki vs Mariah bickering.

I loved the performances of The Couch Potatoes and The Mathheads; I adore Gabe and Charlie!

I thought that Charlie Keyser's group got an easy ride, even though they all forgot their lyrics.

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought, in general, they kept the worst and sent home the best which seems a bizarre approach.
  • FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I was surprised by some that they sent home, maybe they hear it differently there!

Was also shocked that they kept a group of four that sounded terrible, one of them seem to have a big bow in his hair, dreadful.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I thought, in general, they kept the worst and sent home the best which seems a bizarre approach.

Perhaps they did it deliberately in order to try and make sure that unlike in the previous five seasons a girl wins this year
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Perhaps they did it deliberately in order to try and make sure that unlike in the previous five seasons a girl wins this year

Certainly the standard of the boys seems very low to me this year. I don't actually rate any of the contestants at the moment. I thought that with Keith Urban on the panel there would be some country singers but there seem to be too many boys who are just trying to show off as many acrobatics with their voices as possible.

I really hope that the girls are much better, but some of the contestants put through by the panel to Hollywood were IMO awful.

I have never seen the point of the group stage - they are trying to find solo artists not groups. It just seems to me to be an exercise in sadism - but perhaps lots of viewers like it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Certainly the standard of the boys seems very low to me this year. I don't actually rate any of the contestants at the moment. I thought that with Keith Urban on the panel there would be some country singers but there seem to be too many boys who are just trying to show off as many acrobatics with their voices as possible.

I really hope that the girls are much better, but some of the contestants put through by the panel to Hollywood were IMO awful.

I have never seen the point of the group stage - they are trying to find solo artists not groups. It just seems to me to be an exercise in sadism - but perhaps lots of viewers like it?

Quite often a few dreadful constestants get put through to Hollywood for the comedy but are eliminated before the live shows starts

Maybe the whole group stage is a time-saving exercise so the judges can eliminate a lot of contestants at once.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    That was probably the most baffling hollywood week in the shows history. Some of the decisions made no sense. They sent home some genuine talent that actually did well, while keeping some sheer dross (I mean why exactly was that gay guy put through? As well as the group that completely messed up and sounded horrendous). Seriously bizarre.

Women should slaughter the men. They've kept about 3 or 4 good males.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    That was probably the most baffling hollywood week in the shows history. Some of the decisions made no sense. They sent home some genuine talent that actually did well, while keeping some sheer dross (I mean why exactly was that gay guy put through? As well as the group that completely messed up and sounded horrendous). Seriously bizarre.

Women should slaughter the men. They've kept about 3 or 4 good males.

I always prefer the females anyway - I only remember 1 or 2 reasonable males. However, I am amazed there are actually as many as 28 left at the moment - surely we have only really seen about half of them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always prefer the females anyway - I only remember 1 or 2 reasonable males. However, I am amazed there are actually as many as 28 left at the moment - surely we have only really seen about half of them?

Isn't that always the way with with AI though??
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last I have not got into it. Sad that so many good soul performers have gone like Micah.

So far stands out for me are Devin, Charlie, Nick, Curtis, Lee
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shame, no one is here. Am I really the only one watching ? :o

Oh well Ill talk to myself :D:o

So far only impressed by one girl - Janelle - the rest just shouted as far as I am concerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I'm watching. :)

I can't really think of anyone who stood out to me. And I don't know why they kept some and got rid of others that weren't so bad. But maybe I'm not a good enough judge. :D

I think I need to hear more of them in order to have a better judgement on their vocal abilities.

Was Janelle the one who felt like she didn't fit in? She wasn't bad.
    Forum Member
    I watched too!

I really can't remember names at the moment, but there were only a couple that I thought were really good, have no idea why they put the odd girl through at the end, she didn't even sing very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Janelle and Alison. I also liked Rachel initially, but am not sure whether she got through the group stage.

There were certainly some very strange decisions made. I know they have to put some no-hopers through to the next stage but I wonder what Randy made of some choices the panel made when he wasn't there.

They complained about girls who couldn't remember the words, then put though several who couldn't remember the words ...

I really don't like group night because there are too many performers who can't work out how to do it. The first group got the formula right - sing most of it together, have a good simple routine, let each girl sing as little as possible alone. I suspect that the producers would not allow them all to perform like that though, as it would reduce the number of train wrecks (which are often the most compelling viewing).
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really liking Rachel Hale and Candice Glover so far, as long as they make the live shows i'll be happy.

I might be in the minority here but I'm also loving Zonette:D It's nice to have a female contestant who is a bit crazy and impulsive rather than the usual pageant queens that are normally shown.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    anyone else think that kez ban person who was part of the last group shown is really a guy ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    anyone else think that kez ban person who was part of the last group shown is really a guy ?

Looks so like a guy to me. Acts so weird that I'm afraid that there could be a problem later on. Should not have gone through IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really liking Rachel Hale and Candice Glover so far, as long as they make the live shows i'll be happy.

I might be in the minority here but I'm also loving Zonette:D It's nice to have a female contestant who is a bit crazy and impulsive rather than the usual pageant queens that are normally shown.

Candice does not sing well IMO and Zonette is only there for the shock factor. I can only see anti-AI people voting for her.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Looks so like a guy to me. Acts so weird that I'm afraid that there could be a problem later on. Should not have gone through IMO.

yep , definitely a train wreck in the making

maybe thats why she was put through ;)
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow.
    There are 2 things this evening which I find astonishing.

1.Angela Miller has just given one of the best performances I have ever seen on any reality tv show. Ever.

2. Nobody else here is interested? :eek: (tumbleweed floats by......)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Anyone recognise the music that was just used?

There was a slow piano only piece, and then a piano + female vocal track with the line "hang on... hang on.. I'm not asking for you to move on"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kez didn't make it to the Top 20
  • kitbitkitbit Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Wow.
    There are 2 things this evening which I find astonishing.

1.Angela Miller has just given one of the best performances I have ever seen on any reality tv show. Ever.

QFT. Which, frankly, stunned me as I hadn't rated her at all up to that point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitbit wrote: »
    QFT. Which, frankly, stunned me as I hadn't rated her at all up to that point.

I was going to refer you to my post 14 where I was sure that I had said I rated Angela - but I seem to have typed Alison. I meant Angela (honest) as that is the name I had written down.

I am sorry that I don't post while the show is on, as I can only manage to watch the show by recording it then fast forwarding through the adverts, the sob stories etc. It then leaves very little to actually watch!

Last night it was only Angela who stood out for me. Janelle was below par and Rachel only just got through. Hopefully all three will perform well next week, but it is hard to see how Angela can improve - I hope she hasn't peaked too early.

I assume that we will need a new thread for next week?
    Forum Member
    I thought Angela was excellent & I couldn't remember her from the previous weeks either.

You could definately hear her song in the charts today.

Out of the two girls that were asked to sing again, I would have preferred the blond girl to go through, just thought she was a bit different.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janell is unbelievably good.

I enjoyed Angela's Jessie J song from the first solo of Hollywood compared to her second.

Agreed the blonde girl shouldn't have gone home, although wouldn't have sent home the country one either (Rachel?)