Will ADELE last?

flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
Forum Member
Adele has been the best-selling artist in the world by far for 2 years in a row now. She is critically acclaimed and loved by fans and even non-fans – usually – respect her for a reason or other.

Shockingly, with albums, Adele also sells millions of singles, DVD's and other merchandise – a feat unmatched by Shania Twain, Alanis Morissette, Dido, Amy Winehouse and Norah Jones.

But will Adele last or will she fade into darkness?

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit like the long range weather forecast. No-one knows. My guess is she will continue to bring out big selling albums for a few years. But I will say one word of warning......DIDO!!!!
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shockingly, with albums, Adele also sells millions of singles, DVD's and other merchandise – a feat unmatched by Shania Twain, Alanis Morissette, Dido, Amy Winehouse and Norah Jones.

I would love to know the numbers that show how she out sold shania twain in cd ,singles, dvds.

Skyfall had trouble making the top 10 in the USA (peaking at #8) unless she decides to get off her fat ass and get on the road she will find out that in North america you need to tour to stay relevant

I have never seen someone wearing an adele t shirt/hat in my life over here what about in the UK?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Bit like the long range weather forecast. No-one knows. My guess is she will continue to bring out big selling albums for a few years. But I will say one word of warning......DIDO!!!!

DIDO is pop, sure ADELE is pop also but more Soul. If her voice is alright, she will has probably always some kind of success in the years to come like Dusty or Shirley.

I don't think ADELE by herself want to have that kind of success again. I could imagine she would likely go more a route like Alanis, respected by her peers, quality records and if she goes on tour there are always venues with 5.000 people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Adele has been the best-selling artist in the world by far for 2 years in a row now. She is critically acclaimed and loved by fans and even non-fans – usually – respect her for a reason or other.

If at least One Direction with their music for the deaf disappears asap.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say probably.

Not just because of her ability, but also mainly due to the type of material she performs which seems to be more timeless than a teeny pop orientated sound that is destined to only last as long as the trend lasts and then fail after that narrow period of time.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Her career has already spanned 5 years (2008-2012). And Skyfall will be charting into 2013, so you could extend that to 6 years. Even if she disappears after that she's lasted quite well, compared to most pop stars of today.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    I dont think that for Adele its about hits or longevity but the love for music and artistry. 21 was a suprise hit and then became a huge phenomenon asomething her or her record label didnt expect. For a shy, retiring normal artist to hit mainstream appeal on a worldwide scale it must be daunting but .... I think she will do her own thing regardles of success... but just for the love of the music.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    I would love to know the numbers that show how she out sold shania twain in cd ,singles, dvds.

Skyfall had trouble making the top 10 in the USA (peaking at #8) unless she decides to get off her fat ass and get on the road she will find out that in North america you need to tour to stay relevant

I have never seen someone wearing an adele t shirt/hat in my life over here what about in the UK?

disagree, there's no such thing as relevance outside of the poppiest end of pop. Good music will always be relevant. She's done a very smart and very rare thing in withdrawing whilst her album was still doing great things. If she produces a quality 3rd album her current absence should pay dividends.

as for the t-shirts question, no iv'e never seen anyone wearing one. I doubt Dusty or Ella etc sold many t-shirts either:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All depends if she comes out of retirement or not when her baby grows up and if people will be that bothered about her if she does, far more talented artists than Adele (Dido for example) have struggled to continue after a long layoff so my answer would be a big, big NO. She has had her time, made a lot of money, got her place in history for album sales but cant see how she will have any sort of longevity even if she never had her kid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of grey area between slaying the mainstream and disappearing.

Unless Adele wants to play the pop game (i.e. keep up with trends, make radio friendly music, frequent releases, promo etc.), she's going to struggle on that level. However, she's perfectly capable of operating a very successful career on another level, likely as a respected album artist on a (relatively) smaller scale.
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think that for Adele its about hits or longevity but the love for music and artistry. 21 was a suprise hit and then became a huge phenomenon asomething her or her record label didnt expect. For a shy, retiring normal artist to hit mainstream appeal on a worldwide scale it must be daunting but .... I think she will do her own thing regardles of success... but just for the love of the music.

I agree with this. Are any of you here American besides me? Adele crossed a dozen genres in the states. She is loved here because she is perceived as above and apart from the mainstream, sex selling pop stars. And her music is considered timeless.
    About Dido. The two are not perceived as the same. Adele reached every corner of the US. I knew guys in Harlem listening to Adele. Besides Dido's song w Eminem, no one there knew who she was. No Angel sold 21 million copies worldwide, after a huge world tour and promo. Her next album Life for rent sold 12 million copies worldwide.
    But her music isnt timeless and eventually time passed her by. I saw her in concert GL and she was good. Adele is far and away better live. Just my opinion.

Adele will play this career out her way. She will never want for money again, and she calls all the shots. She will be viewed as a legend because of her talent and for her scarcity. Again my opinion.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All depends if she comes out of retirement or not when her baby grows up and if people will be that bothered about her if she does, far more talented artists than Adele (Dido for example) have struggled to continue after a long layoff so my answer would be a big, big NO. She has had her time, made a lot of money, got her place in history for album sales but cant see how she will have any sort of longevity even if she never had her kid.

I'm a big Dido fan GL but her voice and material is wafer thin in comparison it doesn't have the emotional depth or impact it's sonically interesting but it's vanilla Adele at least has some Raspberry sauce and a wafer :D

I have thought about this and for me i think most likely she will do a Sade/Kate Bush scenario she will relase do interviews tour lightly but for the most part the material will do the talking and i think she has enough fans and sales to sustain her but it all hangs on album #3 there is no definitive answer. Like Alanis had she reased a JLP2 before SFIJ then she probably would have lasted longer and had a more impactful career but she made the album she wanted and seemed happy to do so and is still knocking around so we'll just and see i suppose.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long after mankind is taken by the nuclear apocalypse, Adele songs will still be blaring out everywhere...:o
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of grey area between slaying the mainstream and disappearing.

Unless Adele wants to play the pop game (i.e. keep up with trends, make radio friendly music, frequent releases, promo etc.), she's going to struggle on that level. However, she's perfectly capable of operating a very successful career on another level, likely as a respected album artist on a (relatively) smaller scale.

She really won't play the pop game and that's why she will last longer than the fame-hungry pop tarts of today. Fads rarely last long in any walk of life. Not saying she will replicate the success of '21', that would be impossible but even 35% of that success with her follow up would comfortably outsell any album released in the last 10 years. A sobering thought for her fellow artists...
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we won't hear much from Adele for a few years now she has her little family, but she will likely always sell albums.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    rbautz wrote: »
    there are always venues with 5.000 people.

That's it?!
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it before, Adele will be another Phil Collins. She'll sell lots of records, win loads of awards, make loads of dosh and in a few years time everyone will be taking the piss. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Long after mankind is taken by the nuclear apocalypse, Adele songs will still be blaring out everywhere...:o

Well no one told the DJ's as its a big struggle now to hear adele being played on any radio station, she is pretty much history now on local radio up in the north east.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I'm a big Dido fan GL but her voice and material is wafer thin in comparison it doesn't have the emotional depth or impact it's sonically interesting but it's vanilla Adele at least has some Raspberry sauce and a wafer :DI have thought about this and for me i think most likely she will do a Sade/Kate Bush scenario she will relase do interviews tour lightly but for the most part the material will do the talking and i think she has enough fans and sales to sustain her but it all hangs on album #3 there is no definitive answer. Like Alanis had she reased a JLP2 before SFIJ then she probably would have lasted longer and had a more impactful career but she made the album she wanted and seemed happy to do so and is still knocking around so we'll just and see i suppose.

Totally disagree with all of this;)
    Dido's vocie is fantastic, blows adele's voice out of the water in every aspect, lots of dido's songs will be remembered in decades, will the same be said of adele? And of course dido made it when the music industry was a lot tougher, if adele had launched her career at the same time as dido, adele would have been lost completly. Adele has been sucessfull by sheer luck more then anything else, basically being around at just the right time.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will the songs last though?? Will the material be up to scratch, or will it be a case of cover albums or interpretations?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I've said it before, Adele will be another Phil Collins. She'll sell lots of records, win loads of awards, make loads of dosh and in a few years time everyone will be taking the piss. ;)

Phill Collins is a good one, people are saying there a similarities with the songwriting, more storytelling than poetic but both catchy phrases.

But then again Phill was everywehre in the 80's and 90's and ADELE doesn't do that.

And imo something that Phill lacks is the instrumentation of his songs, the are so in the 80's, while ADELE has more a timeless approach on the orchestration.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dido's vocie is fantastic, blows adele's voice out of the water in every aspect, lots of dido's songs will be remembered in decades, will the same be said of adele? And of course dido made it when the music industry was a lot tougher, if adele had launched her career at the same time as dido, adele would have been lost completly. Adele has been sucessfull by sheer luck more then anything else, basically being around at just the right time.

No way on her last album She sounded bored for the majority and put little or no effort in.And as for it being tougher then than it is now that is BS 10 years ago if an album was successful it could easily shift millions of albums as albums regularly sold more hence why the biggest sellling albums of the last decade are at the beginning rather than the latter end of the decade now to sell 1M let alone 10 in the states is an achievement most find difficult to do. And i think Adelr mor ememorable songs than Dido who's career ended sometime in 2005 and was overshadowed pretty quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    She really won't play the pop game and that's why she will last longer than the fame-hungry pop tarts of today. Fads rarely last long in any walk of life. Not saying she will replicate the success of '21', that would be impossible but even 35% of that success with her follow up would comfortably outsell any album released in the last 10 years. A sobering thought for her fellow artists...

You're correct. Fads rarely last.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dido was the lucky one, she owes her whole career to eminem for sampling her.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    You're correct. Fads rarely last.

And neither does 'novelty success' :p but Adele hasn't done too bad - not just beating her rivals but actually smashing them 2 years on the trot with the one album.