Problems with Freemake Video Converter

mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have used this program for some time with no problems but, for some reason, the latest version will not install.
I downloaded V4.0.1 after uninstalling the previous version V3.2.1.5 and keep getting the message:

Unfortunately the program couldn't register program components.Try to run the setup as Administrator.
If this doesn't work please send a screenshot of this message to support@freemake.com and specify your program version
C:/Program Files/Freemake/COM/1.1/FMMediaFormats.dll

I'e tried re-installing the old version (no luck) and a System Restore and installing the new version and still the same message.
I mailed support three days ago but no response

I hope it's not because I'm declining to install the bundled Delta Toolbar and games - though this hasn't been a problem in the past.
Any ideas?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it wont be the tool bar.

what OS are you running?

for me i would make sure they are fully unisntalled, delete the directory C:/Program Files/Freemake then run the installer as administrator.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7.
    I forgot to say that I have already tried deleting C:/Program Files/Freemake but it makes no difference.

Thanks anyway
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    ...I'e tried re-installing the old version (no luck)...
    Do you get the same error message as you do with the new version?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7.
    I forgot to say that I have already tried deleting C:/Program Files/Freemake but it makes no difference.

Thanks anyway

Tried deleting? Therefore unsuccessfully? Start in Safe Mode and [SHIFT][DEL].

I'll echo what flagpole says, it isn't the toolbar or refusal of it. I refused the toolbar and it works fine.

It requires .net 4.0 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17113 that'll be the issue, I'm almost certain.

Download any version you liked best and use that.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_freemake_video_converter/history/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no luck:confused::cry:

NET Framework 4 was already istalled (otherwise AFAIK previous versions wouldn't have worked) so, from the link given, I chose to repair it.

So far I've ...........

Uninstalled everything connected with Freemake including the
    C:/Program Files/Freemake folder
    then downloaded an earlier version which appears to install OK with no warnings but the program won't start.
    It gets as far as the 'Starting' splash-screen an d then shuts itself down

Next I downloaded the new version and attempted to install - this usually just overwrites any previous version. However I then got the warning as in post 1.

So, I uninstalled everything yet again and attempted to install the new version only to be met with the warning "Unfortunately the program couldn't register program components....."

I am completely lost now but meantime other video converter programs that I've tried are fine as is, from what I can tell, everything else on the PC.
    I like using Freemake as it's quick and easy and does have some options that I find convenient.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run a Memtest and do a disk check after that. Use UBCD.

If both are OK then we can come back to it.

I'm thinking mobo / Graphics card (or driver) after that, TBH. Is it a desktop or laptop PC?
  • indeedicusindeedicus Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Instead of using Freemake, why not try using SUPER instead, if you haven't already tried it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    I'll do a the Memtest and disk check tomorrow and report back

SUPER video converter is far too complicated and tries to get you to install a plethora of unwanted stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    I'll do a the Memtest and disk check tomorrow and report back

SUPER video converter is far too complicated and tries to get you to install a plethora of unwanted stuff

Have to agree with that! Freemake is very easy to use and gets good results. It's a bit naughty though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, done a disk check and memtest with zero errors found.

Tried to install again but still the same problem message.

I daresay, knowing my luck, if I re-installed Windows 7 it would be OK - but that's an awful lot of hassle for one program and I've wasted enough time on it already and still no response from Freemake support
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the message you quoted in your first post. When you tried installing the latest version again, did you try the "run as administrator" option when running setup?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that you have had a graphics update via Windows Update? Try rolling back the driver?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)Success at last

The graphics card driver was last updated in December last year and the program had been working fine until I attempted the update so I left it as it was

I uninstalled everything connected with Freemake downloaded a copy of the new version then re-booted the PC in 'Safe Mode' and it installed without a hitch
    BUT
    the only options available were to convert to DVD or Blu-Ray everything else was greyed out.

So, uninstalled everything again, downloaded the previous version, re-booted and installed it without problems/warnings in 'Safe Mode'
    Re-booted and voila it works !!

Have no idea what the problem has been but Freemake is working again as it should
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally had a reply from Freemake support which says:

"If you couldn't get the exe file, you can find the program here http://www.dependencywalker.com/

You see in the screenshot the path to the file FMMediaFormats.dll.
    If it's possible, could you please start the program Dependency Walker from the attachment on you machine and open this dll file in it.
    When the file will be opened in the program, click please on File->Save as and send us the created .dwi file"

I haven't attempted this as the program is working as I want it to ATM but will keep this for future reference
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you got it sorted.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have just tryed to download freemake on my pc but it wont open to install. i have windows vista on the pc in question ,any help?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    i have just tryed to download freemake on my pc but it wont open to install. i have windows vista on the pc in question ,any help?

I just installed it on Sunday, the download from their website definitely works.

Have you got anti-virus or something running which is blocking the file ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    I just installed it on Sunday, the download from their website definitely works.

Have you got anti-virus or something running which is blocking the file ?

the only one i got is spybot but it wasn't running when i tryed to install it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am having problems with the opening of freemake file to do an install .can anyone help? i am using a pc thats got windows vista .i do have netframe on it & don't have any old versons of freemake at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only one i got is spybot but it wasn't running when i tryed to install it
    i am having problems with the opening of freemake file to do an install .can anyone help? i am using a pc thats got windows vista .i do have netframe on it & don't have any old versons of freemake at all

Anti-virus, Anti-virus, Anti-virus.

.net Framework 4.5.2 is the latest. Start with that alone and only install side by side if the program insists. Vista IIRC has .net 2.0 baked/built-in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Anti-virus, Anti-virus, Anti-virus.

.net Framework 4.5.2 is the latest. Start with that alone and only install side by side if the program insists. Vista IIRC has .net 2.0 baked/built-in.

i have netframe 4.5.0 installed already put netframe 3.5 sp1 does that need ajusting?

the only anti virous i got is norton & spybot oh & MB & macifee