Panasonic DVD Recorder won't record onto dual-layerd discs

Hi everyone,

I have a Panasonic DMR-EX83EB DVD Recorder and tried to copy some material onto a dual-layered DVD+R DL 8.5 gigabyte disc and when I put the blank disc into the machine it said I needed to format the disc and the copy functionality wouldn't work. I've no idea what formatting a disc means or how to do it.

I remember the instruction booklet had a table which listed how long single and dual-layered discs would hold timewise at various settings (SP, LP etc) with the various types of disc,s including DVD+R and -R DL discs and surely they wouldn't include these types of discs if they weren't compatable with this machine,. However I then saw an * which always means restrictions and it says "You cannot record directly onto DVD+R and -R discs" and again I was puzzled because either you can or you cannot record using various types of discs and this indicated that I can record using these discs but not directly and I have no idea what the difference is and what it means.

There is another * for DVD Ram discs, both single and dual layered discs which says "it is not possible to record or play continuously from one side if a double sided disc to the other." I have never used DVD Ram discs so this means nothing to me.

Anyway, if anyone can help me with these issues I'd be grateful as I would prefer not to have to junk a fully working machine in order to buy a new machine which does not have resctrictions regarding dual-layered discs so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The manual should tell you how to format the disks
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Panasonic doesn't like recording onto DVD +R media. Buy DVD -R blank DVD discs, and you should have no problems recording onto them.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it can certainly record to DL
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/DVD+Recorders/DMR-EX83/Specification/3533491/index.html?trackInfo=true
    you can download the manual there too..

double sided disks are different from DL. they are the kind that require turning over.

not recording directly to disk means you have to record live tv to the HDD and then copy to the disk.

it should tell you to format when you insert a non formatted +R DL disk and you just press ok. this is the case for any +R media. it seems happier with -R. if not then it tells you how to do it on Page 63 of the manual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the replies.

Thank you for the definition of recording directly. This is something I have never done as I always record onto the harddrive so this issue is now eliminated. And also many thanks for the definition of double-sided discs.

Noted re Panasonic not liking +R discs but I don't want to throw out very expensive discs if possible so it looks like I will have to try to do this formatting and following the suggestions to re-consult the manual I did just that and there is something there explaining how to format the disc so I shall see if I can manage to do that.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    RadiorobFM wrote: »
    Many thanks for the replies.

Thank you for the definition of recording directly. This is something I have never done as I always record onto the harddrive so this issue is now eliminated. And also many thanks for the definition of double-sided discs.

Noted re Panasonic not liking +R discs but I don't want to throw out very expensive discs if possible so it looks like I will have to try to do this formatting and following the suggestions to re-consult the manual I did just that and there is something there explaining how to format the disc so I shall see if I can manage to do that.

you don't have to throw out your +Rs. but for the panasonic it seems that -R are the one's to buy as they do not require formatting.

DL disk are not necessarily the best value. they may offer nearly twice the storage . but they are about 4x the price of single layer. oh and DL are nearly always +R
  • LinearCandidateLinearCandidate Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    Panasonic doesn't like recording onto DVD +R media. Buy DVD -R blank DVD discs, and you should have no problems recording onto them.
    Why, after all these years? I bet most other make of modern DVD recorders don't have this issue! :rolleyes: Are Panasonic Blu-Ray recorders fussy about BD+R media being used like they are with DVD+R like you just mentioned? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    you don't have to throw out your +Rs. but for the panasonic it seems that -R are the one's to buy as they do not require formatting.

DL disk are not necessarily the best value. they may offer nearly twice the storage . but they are about 4x the price of single layer. oh and DL are nearly always +R

Many thanks for replying again.

Given how expensive the discs were I shall definately not throw them out and I shall have a go at this formatting process and if it works then problem solved and I shall try to get -R discs if possible unless the price is hugely more expensive than +R discs are.

You are right to underline the cost and this is the first time I have ever had the need to use dual-layered discs but there are occasions where I want a certain amount of material on one disc and to maintain sufficient picture quality I will need to use dual-layered discs. However for the vast majority of the time single-layered discs will be perfectly satisfactory for my archiving needs.
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Do Panasonic recorders actually support +RDL at all . Pretty sure the one I had a few years back didn't and only wanted DL in the -R format.
    Might have changed of course

Edit- checked the manual and it does support +RDL but won't record the 16:9 flag like it does with -RDL
    Problem likely to be a brand issue.
    Try another brand